Note to New Members ×

Some advice, pleeeeaaaase

Perlyshko

Hello Everyone! :)

I would like to start with confession - seems I am complete beginner at carving after all. I have always been impressed by Alpine board riders and to get one for myself turned to a dream, that recently came true. Due to few events that chased me for a while in Japan, I did not think that Alpine riding differs so much from all-round one and felt myself pretty experienced all-round rider on intermediate tracks and pretty sure in ability to handle Alpines. Having gotten tired of running saliva while watching alpine board riders, I bought myself one - SG Cult 159 with UPZ RC 10 and F2 titanium intec.

When I locked myself into it(for the first time in my life), I faced problems, first, to turn the board, therefore to ride the easiest track, second, overbreaking in heelside turn returned!!!:freak3: After 3 days I tamed the board more or less and started to turn(like perfectly newly born dummythough), especially very smoothly and almost on necessary edge tilt on toeside. Yet the overbreaking tendency takes place at the heelside - the edge just goes into snow and the tail moves forward, making perfect parallel line with the nose. Somehow I feel that my bodyweight is in front(may be it is just a feeling). Probably, I am still not handling hard boots on heelside turn - simply have no idea how to work with them correctly.

Also, I had an idea that it might come from the fact, that I am not Goffy at all, although I am riding Goffy from the very beginning, of course, after having all standardly-recommended tests done. That is why my back leg automatically goes forward... or something...

Would you, please, give me few explanations why overbreaking happens and how can I get rid of it?:rolleyes:

I tried to chase few Carvers on the piste for an advice, but failed to catch them mostly due to constant rolling myself into snowoman and playing ostrich. And I want to learn carving(up to extreme - hehe) so much and as soon as possible.:ices_ange

Hm... Probably, I am on too much on my heelside, because it usually happens when I pick up some speed, even when I move forward and lower my body. Would you, please, advice me how can I correct my weight location when notice this tendency to appear during the ride?:)

Try to keep your shoulders in line with your hips. Also if you face both shoulders down the fall line (like Skiing) on your heelside edge then your rear foot will follow (leading to what you call overbreaking). I find that pointing your front shoulder in the direction you want to go also helps prevent this condition.

Are you in Japan now? if so, you can pick up few different DVDs with a guy named Morio Aizawa which explain about proper body and shoulder position.

The DVDs are named The Carving, Artistic Carving and Snowboard Alpine Technique. Some Alpen stores carry them. Good stuff.

Thank you for the advice. I do tend to face my both shoulders downhill, probably, it happens because of my ski experience - I used to try it, rode one day only though. Even having the angle of 45 degree on front and 40 on rear binding, I am still burning with the idea to enlarge front one despite that I have already reached the recommended angle. I will take your advice into the account when go to the piste.:biggthump

Unfortunately, I am not in Japan anymore, but in Europa. I wish to find some DVD instrcution for Carving, but somehow shops around do not offer this sort of support. If anyone knows some good DVD instruction, please, give me some information. This homepage helps me a lot to learn theory, still if I find more vidoe examples, it would be for sure of great use.

I highly recommend checking your binding setup. Read the tech tips on binding setup right here on Bomber. They're wonderful. I personally feel like I live in a "hole" here in Ohio and with no one but myself to ask for help and the internet, I found that for the first entire season I wasn't even close on my binding setup which made me ride horribly and not know why. I ended up going out to Park City and riding with Dave Tille from Hardbooter.com for a day. Amazing what someone whose familiar with the proper setup can do for you. By the way- Thank you Dave! Without the tech tips from Bomber and some help from Dave, I definitely would have not been able to progress as fast as I have. Good luck!

OhioCarver,

Send Ray Pesho a PM through his email here on BOL. He is a rippin' Ohio carver and can probably help you out. If not verbally at least you can pick up visual clues from his riding. There are others out there in Ohio.

Ink

Oh yeah, check the OH ride board here on the forum. :)

I also feel myself kind of alone here. In Japan it was never a problem to catch one of the riders and get some advice, as they usually came to you on their own just to watch the board, for instance... Here, Carvers pass by at the legnth of the hand, but always disappear before I get even close, that is pretty understandable - when they are carving so perfectly, why should they make a pause because of some strange beginner on the slope, who, probably, even does not speak their language(german, for example), but it is not a problem.

I will check binding set up once again. At present I have front and back plates tighten to the last inward holes on the board to make my stance width a bit narrower, yet to keep bindings fixed with equal spread of the power(all 4 bolts are as wide from each other as possible) , and all angles reffer to recommended limits - 45 at front, 40 at rear. I think it is just the matter of time and will to wait to avoid gaps in the technik - that I do not have at all. Extreme carving seducts me severely and speed up before learning proper carving.:ices_ange I will do my best to find some hardboot carverer on the slope when go to Alps next time.

Hi , I also have UPZ RC10 . I've been starting to use it in this season.

I found that its sole size is so short and hard to adjust BOOTS CENTER

position with Binding center position.

I think your boot's center position might be shifted backword .If so , I think your heel side turn would end up to less powerful.

Check out the boot's center position.

from Japan.

:confused:Boot center is an issue to me, that I managed to skip somehow. Thing is that I have shallow idea how to set a binding to have the center of the boot in the center of the binding. The only thing I am sure in is that the heel-toe set up is not equal. For example, I have heel adjustment plate on front binding moved more inwards than on the rear - it moved more ourwards. The toe adjustment plate is more outward and more inward, correspondently.

I have read the article about bindings set up, but it did not give me any information how to find the center of the boot and set up toe and heel adjustment plates on the binding. Would you, please, give me few advices?:)

I think you can see the mark on your sole of your UPZ .

Haven't you seen that mark ????:confused:

:confused:Boot center is an issue to me, that I managed to skip somehow. Thing is that I have shallow idea how to set a binding to have the center of the boot in the center of the binding. The only thing I am sure in is that the heel-toe set up is not equal. For example, I have heel adjustment plate on front binding moved more inwards than on the rear - it moved more ourwards. The toe adjustment plate is more outward and more inward, correspondently.

I have read the article about bindings set up, but it did not give me any information how to find the center of the boot and set up toe and heel adjustment plates on the binding. Would you, please, give me few advices?:)

to Masahiko,

No, unfortunately, I did not see any mark. Either it is not there or it is of the size that I do not consider to be the mark.:) I will check.

to Jack Michaud,

I have "The Norm" both parts printed out as a pocket bible for beginner.:) The only problem is to get to the slope where there is no human Hong Kong - what is pretty difficult around here, especially taking into account flat landscape.

I came to the conclusion that another issue contributing into my failures might be unperpendicular location of the body/weight over the board. Probably, I should tighten upper clips of my boots instead of having them slightly locked.

I see the light in the door for the improvement of own technic, but, first, I need to aim at the doorway right.