Note to New Members ×

Sofa King Good!

Shred Gruumer

It's hard to see from the perspective there, but the main run from the top is a medium-steep wide-open blue with room for building ridiculous speed. It runs into a cat track which traverses over a black run that starts bumpy on skier's right, then moves towards smooth on the left. Lots of beginners stand there, screwing up the courage to dip in. Major fun to haul ass up to there, check briefly for speed and then dive over the edge while they're still scratching their asses and making up their minds. The official name of the run is "Great Divide" but everyone just calls it "Brewster" for reasons that are lost in the fuzz that is my head today.

Skiers right off the chair at the top is a nice easy black bump run, perfect for working out the kinks before trying something tougher (like the double fall-line ugliness that can develop on Standish, or some of the steep ones off Goat's Eye).

No, not groomed but definitely 45 degrees. The top part is a huge open blue run, mostly groomed. The bottom is steeper, and you have your pick between glades, steep ungroomed and fairly steep groomed. I don't think the groomed stuff gets over 30 degrees, but the ungroomed has consistent pitches of 45 or so and a couple of short sports of steeper.

St Antton Eisfall has steepest drop of 38 degrees:

The first was the modified downhill course at Gampen/Kapall, which now has perhaps the longest, steepest downhill section in the world - the fearsome Eisfall (Ice Wall).

So i slightly doubt this 45 figure, for normal carvers even 30 degrees is extremely deep, for me atleast :)

Many times people mx percentages and degrees, i'm not saying it is case here but i have my doubts.

I was just reading where Delirium Dive averages over 40 degrees for the whole place (it's more than one run), with sections of 60 degrees. Plus cliff bands. It's accessed controlled - to open the gate you need an avalanche transceiver. They require you also have a shovel and a partner similarily equipped.

The steep run I'm thinking of is called Freefall, and Sunshine used to advertise a pitch of 82 degrees, which was unfair because that was the little cliff-y section in the middle. But there are definitely sections that are as steep as anything I've been on in-bounds. The only thing I can think of as steep is the top portion of "the Cliff" at Big White.

Again, this is not groomed, no carving expected or possible.

The Cliff at Big White is Big Fun, especially after a Big Dump. 10 foot cornice drop into a 45 degree slope with knee-deep pow, a bunch of turns that are more or less free-fall drops into pow until it "levels out" into a 35 degree slope or so. Then the agonizing poma ride back out... or used to be, anyways - the poma got taken out by an avalanche or something a few years ago and now you've got to exit through Black Forest, so running laps on the Cliff is a royal pain. But still a great run.