Note to New Members ×

CASI's position on hardboots?

BlueB

This is mostly a question for Rob Stevens...

Our new Snowboard Supervisor was very quick to inform me that, although he also rides hardboots sometimes and loves it, the hard boots are:

- Thing of the past that's dying;

- On it's way out of CASI, as not required for Level 4 any more;

- CASI doesn't like to see candidates doing Level 2 on hard boots.

It sounded pretty much like BS to me, but it would be very reasuring to hear from the Boss too...

wow

thats BS

CASI has added a freestyle component to its level4 and one must choose hard boots or freestyle along with the traditional steeps and terrain adaptation(moguls)

as for doing levels on hard boots i can say that its much easier on softs

level 1 beginner demos should be done on softs

the level of carving for level 2 done on hard boots is akin to overkill

green and blue terrain with very large radii

level 3 could be done on hard boots but only for the carving part

moguls and parck are not ridden most efficiently that way

and for the 4 if you can do all 4 3s and a 540 on 40 foot jumps and all 4 3s in the pipe a couple meters out then you can not ride in hard boots

CASI is an association of members, driven by said members so we change with the times

the carve module can be done by level 1s and strongly suggested to do on hard boots

who told you this? he must be a jibber that does not ride in hard boots

someone who thinks you can carve in soft boots(well you can ist just like driving a civic around an F1 track, instead of an F1

someone who thinks you can carve in soft boots(well you can ist just like driving a civic around an F1 track, instead of an F1

Nice. You know there are some soft booters on the board right?

:flamethro

:lurk:

good analogy though.

The bias against hard boots is the exact reason that I got out of AASI. Complete BS in my opinion. If I showing lower level moves I run my boots looser and show just as much movement as the jack kneed, duckfoot, baggy pantsers that are there just for the pass. Gets me too pissed to even think straight.

as an instructor I want to use the same tool as my student

I am mostly a softbooter and have been since day one

for a long time i tried to find the perfect softboot carve setup

then i started carving with plates and love to do so

thats when i stopped trying to build the softboot carving setup

overall board tech but mostly softboot evolution in freeride setups have helped a bunch

the only stipulation for any casi course in terms of mandatory setup is in the level 4 carving, hardboots and plates. While most people do it all on softs there are and have been some who chose plates for levels 1-2-3, even seen one guy do the level 3 park day on plates and pass

B.

+1 for Chewy there.

When we changed the level 4 it was with the goal of making it more accessible to top level freestylers, who could not dedicate the time to alpine.

We missed out on alot of good riders over the years because of the mandatory HB component of the 4. As most higher end riders taking sessions are in SB's, that had to change.

The "two path" format is working well and as Chewy pointed out, still has freeriding in either setup at its core.

CASI ****in' rules.

Hey, thanks for the input!

Just as the matter of interest, is Chewy actually Jeff Chandler, or maybe David Gagnon? Always nice to know who you talk to.

I didn't quite understand this part:

and for the 4 if you can do all 4 3s and a 540 on 40 foot jumps and all 4 3s in the pipe a couple meters out then you can not ride in hard boots

Mind to clarify?