Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Timberline Reports 2008-2009

Nice ROSS!! Looks like the SPEED is picking up with the longer board too!! :eplus2:

I think it is official!! You are a Hardbooter!! :biggthump

Thanks for the video!!

Perhaps you can venture over to MHM on Wednesday??

Hopefully I can introduce you to the "BIG GUNS" like Tinkler,

Randy, "Stop Sign" Mike and Jim M. Great bunch of guys, come

to think of it you already met them all at the party.

Tim said you are welcome to pick up the Oxygen and give it a try.

Or, let me know if you want the Burton your road today.

You are doing EXCELLENT!!

Bryan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I get a call from a skier friend yesterday. He says "Bryan were you up at Timberline Sunday??" I said "No". He said " I saw an Alpine Carver ripping it up under the lift line at Storming Norman and figured it must be you!" .

My guess is this was Tim? I thought you might get a kick out of that :biggthump

Tim, if it was you, the caller was Josh. Remember the other "Packer" that help clear a space??

Thanks again. Bryan

I was definitely there on Sunday with Cass.

As for ripping, I was carving some nice lines but my poor technique should never be confused for somebody with such a perfect style as yours :1luvu:.

Flattering to be compared to you (even in small way)? Absolutely!

I told Cass that I should be back to my early '90s carving level by the end of this season. It's been coming back quickly this season. With much luck and many days of practice the "toes-to-the-nose" style should come together nicely for me by the end of next season!

Looking forward to hitting MHM with you this week. You can critique my carving abilities accordingly then.

Cheers,

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Ross, could be a pretty good deal. Does anyone know what it costs for a day ticket at Timberline in May?

Not off hand, although in the past it has gone down approx 10-15$ during the spring and then back up early June to full winter price.

Dan, have you ridden Timberline since the new chairlift went in? It adds quite a bit of good carving terrain. IMO

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went for my second tour using a "splitboard" . I am starting to get used to it and love the awesome assending power to go right up steep stuff on uphill travel. The voile system works really good with easy change overs. However the older "voile 173" lacked the feel of the solid boards I am used too in that it was weird to carve and felt so short compared to riding Tankers. I probably will get used to it but really need a bigger stiffer board...

Anyways for Tline conditions all I can say its awesome up there right now on the zigzag glacier. I left last friday at 10am and didnt come down till 2pm and it was perfect corn snow till around 6000ft. It was almost a little firm from the top by the hogsback. Went back up for a second lap on the zigzag. However there was tons of ice coming off the steel cliffs and saw one injured climber coming down near the top. I didnt summit but checked of the crater out and at lunch there.

some pics ....

post-219-141842282072_thumb.jpg

post-219-141842282074_thumb.jpg

post-219-141842282076_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
anyone wanna come shred at hood? im out here coaching snowboard racing

I have monday and tuesdays to come up. Give us a condition updates. I want to do a carve n windsurf day soon ..... Early riding at Hood and some windsurfing at HR on the way home....

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I was up on Monday, 6/8. It was really good snow, though a bit dirty. It set up well, but not bullet proof. The grooming on Palmer was really bad and the public lane up there was descended upon by a bunch of ski camp racers first thing. No way I was going up to carve on it. I went up after them, but it was pretty rough. The mile was nice and empty. You could have carved on Zig Zag it was so nice. It is up to $52 for a day pass.

Carved for a couple of hours, switched gear, took Palmer up, climbed to the summit and rode down Zig Zag with Rebecca who was waiting at Crater Rock. Great day!

It was empty that day, but the camps have started now in full force since school is out, so I assume the place is packed now.

Thanks Buell. Sounds like typical early summer session. Glad to hear you two got some!!

Nothing like warming up on steep broken safety glass while world cup DH skiers fly by at 60MPH !!! :eek:

Just try poaching their lanes in the late morning!! :boxing_sm

I would really like to have made use of the great spring session.

I used to catch first chair, climb to the summit do some good steep line , ski around then go to work! Those were the days.

Thanks for the update. Bryan

Jim, just got back from climbing Shasta today. The weather was poor last weekend so the trip was postponed.

This is the second time I have summitted Shasta this season. Once by the typical route up Avy Gulch on the west side and this time by a route on the east side. Most routes on the west side are really poor riding for the first 1400 feet off the summit and my first trip was no exception. The route we did today had incredible riding just 20 feet below the summit rocks and it went on for over 5000 vertical feet. Add almost 2000 more vertical of really bad suncups and hiking through the snow free forest and we made it back to the trucks. Shasta is a BIG mountain!

The first photo is our ascent and descent route. We left the vehicles at 3:45 AM and I summitted at 11:15 AM. My parter beat me by a solid 20 minutes as I was really feeling the elevation today. We were back to the trucks by 1 PM. The second photo was from last night driving to the trailhead and shows both Shasta and Shastina from the north.

If the weather is good next Saturday, Rebecca, myself, and a climbing buddy might climb on the Wy'East face (very early start) if you are interested.

Buell

post-2671-141842283183_thumb.jpg

post-2671-141842283185_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing! Someday I want to do that also. Yes might be able go next saturday the 27th if thats the date. Email more plans when you have time.

Jim

Of course. You are the one that got me started on this madness by taking me up Hood for the first time. Email me if you want more specific route info on any peaks I might know. I'll let you know about next Saturday as we firm up our plans.

Buell, thanks for sharing your adventures.

What route are you taking on your MT Hood Wy'East face climb?

Starting at MHM or T-Line?

Descent into Heather Canyon or Gnarl Ridge?

Planning on summiting from there or going for the snowboarding?

Photos please!!

Thanks again safe journey