Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Meadow Reports 2008-2009

Bryan,

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. As bad as it might be I suppose it could have been worse and I'm really glad to hear that you are up and able to walk around.

Keep your spirits up buddy!

Thanks Randy, as frustrating as ANOTHER injury is, I am fortunate in so many other ways. Thanks for the well wishes!!

Bryan

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about the bad luck crash:(. I returned from a trip down So. and was riding up at the Batch and ran into Don R. and he asked me if I had heard about your accident and I said no-way not another?

Really bad luck!! I hope you can get back to work soon and the bills don't pile up and to add to your frustration!

I am taking off to go to SD for the summer-Dec. 15th and then ?

Give me a call when you feel like talking. Jules and I will be praying for you!

Thanks, Fanman

Glad to hear that you are doing OK Bryan! :o

However.....:angryfire Anyone want to climb/ride hood on Mon or Tuesday this next week let me know. Would plan to leave at TLine for a tour up to the hogsback and possible summit depending on conditions/motivation. Buell called me last week when it was warm but couldnt due to time issues. Anyways might be able to leave early monday morning? Or just a fun get to know your equipment tour. I know that some our locals have picked up approach skiis and gear?

Jim

A reminder for those looking to score a full unlimited season pass at MHM

Sunday 04/26/09 is the last day to take advantage of the offer.

No group purchase required, they are not saying if the 4x4 will be offered, my guess is it will be.

Anyone do the MHM "Pond Skim" today? Photos? :biggthump

Jim, wish I could go, even though I was not in the best of shape before, now , well you know the rest of the story. Be safe, have a blast. Pack some fresh batteries? :)

If there are local riders that need to borrow avy gear, I can offer it for loan.

I also have quite a bit of new gear I can sell. Shovels, probe poles. Trekking poles.

A reminder for those looking to score a full unlimited season pass at MHM

Sunday 04/26/09 is the last day to take advantage of the offer.

No group purchase required, they are not saying if the 4x4 will be offered, my guess is it will be.

Anyone do the MHM "Pond Skim" today? Photos? :biggthump

Jim, wish I could go, even though I was not in the best of shape before, now , well you know the rest of the story. Be safe, have a blast. Pack some fresh batteries? :)

If there are local riders that need to borrow avy gear, I can offer it for loan.

I also have quite a bit of new gear I can sell. Shovels, probe poles. Trekking poles.

What do you think Bryan will the pass deal now be better than a 4x4 or ? later in the year? Hard to pull the trigger yet?

Jim

Anyone want to climb/ride hood on Mon or Tuesday this next week let me know. Would plan to leave at TLine for a tour up to the hogsback and possible summit depending on conditions/motivation. Buell called me last week when it was warm but couldnt due to time issues. Anyways might be able to leave early monday morning? Or just a fun get to know your equipment tour. I know that some our locals have picked up approach skiis and gear?

Jim

Hood riders should not pass this opportunity up! The riding on Zig Zag is amazing right now. Rebecca and I just did a couple of long laps on Zig Zag last week. I went up to Hogsback before dropping back down to where Rebecca was waiting. Approach skis, snowshoes both work fine on the frozen corn mornings. Then you get to ride down on perfect corn. It gets addicting! I climbed and rode down from Mt McLoughlin yesterday. Two solid laps it was soooooo good!

Last year with Jim, last week from Hogsback, and last week Rebecca way down Zig Zag (probably below Zig Zag).

post-2671-141842281417_thumb.jpg

post-2671-141842281419_thumb.jpg

post-2671-141842281422_thumb.jpg

What do you think Bryan will the pass deal now be better than a 4x4 or ? later in the year? Hard to pull the trigger yet?

Jim

Jim, fair question, I wondered myself. Especially with my current condition. So the questions is really " essentiall pay them the interest on 400$ for 6-7 months (not much$) -vs- maybe get a better deal than 444$ or maybe less in October? They address some of the questions in the FAQ link I provided. I paid the 399$, I think it is a good bet. (He says with a broken back and ribs)

Why buy now? This is absolutely the lowest price you will be able to purchase your 2009/2010 unlimited season pass for. No need to form a group, just go online and purchase it direct with a credit card. This is a limited offer, available through April 26 or while supplies last.
Will you offer the group purchase plan in the fall?

Pricing for the group purchase plan, if offered again, will be established in the fall.

Will I be able to get these prices later – in the fall?

No. This is absolutely the lowest price you’ll be able to purchase your unlimited season pass for the 2009/10 season.

Hood riders should not pass this opportunity up! The riding on Zig Zag is amazing right now. Rebecca and I just did a couple of long laps on Zig Zag last week. I went up to Hogsback before dropping back down to where Rebecca was waiting. Approach skis, snowshoes both work fine on the frozen corn mornings. Then you get to ride down on perfect corn. It gets addicting! I climbed and rode down from Mt McLoughlin yesterday. Two solid laps it was soooooo good!

Last year with Jim, last week from Hogsback, and last week Rebecca way down Zig Zag (probably below Zig Zag).

Good times!! Ask Jim about the route I suggested to him. Thanks for the photos!!

Watch for the "Zingers" near Steel Cliffs and West Ridge. Jims "Head's Up" posture is ideal for that area.

Have fun!!

Almost over folks!!

Meadows is closed April 27 - 30, but then will reopen Friday - Sunday, May 1 - 3 for an encore.

137" base folks!!!!!!!

Parking lot half full at noon on Sunday!! Thats why, happens every spring.

Never about the snow, it is about the habits of humans, they quit coming.

Ok, so, normally this is time to head over to Timberline for another excellent month of corn / powder , groomers before the hords of racers/ free-stylers arrive for Summer Camp.

post-198-141842281424_thumb.jpg

Good times!! Ask Jim about the route I suggested to him. Thanks for the photos!!

Watch for the "Zingers" near Steel Cliffs and West Ridge. Jims "Head's Up" posture is ideal for that area.

Have fun!!

I got to the top of Hogsback around 11:30. The reason I stopped there was the incessant (I mean incessant) small ice (up to fist sized) fall coming off the cliffs above the route to Old Chute. Most of it was light weight, but a few pieces were really moving and you would have gotten hit numerous times. I was mostly concerned about a bigger chunk breaking loose. No rocks that I could see on that route at that time.

I will get back to Hood fairly soon. Hoping to get Lassen and Shasta first.

Excellent! Love to hear more when you both visit.

The route I spoke to Jim about is a good "Non Summit" route off the beaten path a bit.

Not related but "Most Difficult" might be something to look into in the future.

Fits into extreme routes with very tricky approach, only to be done under ideal conditions. Leuthold's Coulior

post-198-141842281426_thumb.jpg

I am not that worried about ice falling on me as it snowed 2" at Tline and will have a 5000ft snow level tomorrow. This should keep things kinda solid? In fact I hope it warms up some and softens for riding. But I have been up there when ice bullets come whizzing by. In fact there have 2 deaths due to ice/rocks falls on Hood during the last year. It was a 12000ft snow level when Buell went last week?

Yes I would like to do some different routes with friends that have some experience up there. However I think most important aspect for success is timing and conditions. Must resist "summit fever" on ???? days . Yes?

Anyways probably going myself and will leave tline parking lot at 9am. I might try splitting .

Jim

Jules and I will be heading to South Dakota this Thurs. and wanted to stop bye and see you, if you are up to it? We can take you to Brunch/Lunch ?

We will leave Bend in the AM and come throuh Van Couver on the way to Seattle to see some old friends from Maui. And then on to SD until Dec. 15th for me.

Let me know if that will work and we will get some directions from you.

Give me a call if you are up to it?

Thanks, Fanman

Man,

I wish I was climbing with you on those slippery slopes!

That looks so good!

Keep it up until July or ?

See you next season!

Off to SD.

O' but I got to surf and SUP down south before the summer golf/lake life kicks in, it was fun!!

Fanman

Jules and I will be heading to South Dakota this Thurs. and wanted to stop bye and see you, if you are up to it? We can take you to Brunch/Lunch ?

We will leave Bend in the AM and come throuh Van Couver on the way to Seattle to see some old friends from Maui. And then on to SD until Dec. 15th for me.

Let me know if that will work and we will get some directions from you.

Give me a call if you are up to it?

Thanks, Fanman

ABSOLUTELY!!

That would be very cool.

Look forward to it.

Bryan

More towards lunch? Let's talk to firm up when you know when you will be passing through!!

Man,

I wish I was climbing with you on those slippery slopes!

That looks so good!

Keep it up until July or ?

See you next season!

Off to SD.

O' but I got to surf and SUP down south before the summer golf/lake life kicks in, it was fun!!

Fanman

Talk about some thread jack. :biggthump

Next year maybe if you don't end up living in some amazing other spot. You will at least have to come back to Utah to visit in the winter. I think we have one more trip to Bachelor this season, but you will be gone.

Just talked to Don and he mentioned you were leaving a bit early. We will miss you and Jules. Thanks for putting us up and making turns with us. Enjoy the golfing.

Bryan, looks like we may be stopping by on Tuesday if you will be around. Not sure what time yet, but we will be in touch. It will have to be a short visit, but Rebecca is making special Bryan 'get well' meals.

Jim/Bryan et al -

Ever since seeing Jims photos last spring of his Mt.Hood ascent, I've really got a hankering to try this. I've got no ice-climbing skills (at all) so I am not sure how to begin with this - I assume that there is a minimum experience/skill factor required for most of the routes and that there is plenty of required equipment too. If I wanted to try and prep myself for something like that, taking a route that was maybe not TOO boring but still prudent for a reasonably fit beginner climber - what would I be getting myself into??

Jim/Bryan et al -

Ever since seeing Jims photos last spring of his Mt.Hood ascent, I've really got a hankering to try this. I've got no ice-climbing skills (at all) so I am not sure how to begin with this - I assume that there is a minimum experience/skill factor required for most of the routes and that there is plenty of required equipment too. If I wanted to try and prep myself for something like that, taking a route that was maybe not TOO boring but still prudent for a reasonably fit beginner climber - what would I be getting myself into??

In general, Mt Hood (along with most mountains) have numerous routes, as a ski/snowboard mountainiers, we look for routes that can be skiied/snowboarded. Most of the time this requires little ice work. Mostly putting one foot infront of the other. Climbing skills are strongly recommended however I would guess that a fair portion of those climbing mountains have little experience. My suggestion is learn the basics of the following. Snow study, back country survival, approach skills, route finding, avalanche study, emergency medicine. Then hook up with locals and follow their lead. Rope skills can be learned via local rock or gym climbing. Until then, here is a Virtual Climb!

LOTS of info on line, tons of great books have been written, do some back ground reading, then ask again with more specific questions.

Bryan

I was dreading what I would be told at the Dr Apt today.

Two weeks of pain and limited mobility and sleeping with the damn back brace.

The Dr at the hospital on day one said that they had a surgeon that does a

procedure involving drilling a hole in the fractured bone, injecting some sort of epoxy into the bone to "pump it up" and stabilize it. Still looking at a 3 month healing time.

So, after yet more x-rays (about 30 to date) and an extra one hour wait

the Dr says. " I needed a second opinion, I needed to have another surgeon look over your x-rays to confirm" . "We do not see a fracture!!"

Without boring you with all the details, words like "Over-Read" the x-rays and describing bumps and Arthritic growth basically resulted in an "Un-broken" back. This of course doesn't mean there isn't serious soft tissue damage. *Still hurts pretty good! Pretty happy none the less!!

Bryan

In general, Mt Hood (along with most mountains) have numerous routes, as a ski/snowboard mountainiers, we look for routes that can be skiied/snowboarded. Most of the time this requires little ice work. Mostly putting one foot infront of the other. Climbing skills are strongly recommended however I would guess that a fair portion of those climbing mountains have little experience. My suggestion is learn the basics of the following. Snow study, back country survival, approach skills, route finding, avalanche study, emergency medicine. Then hook up with locals and follow their lead. Rope skills can be learned via local rock or gym climbing. Until then, here is a Virtual Climb!

LOTS of info on line, tons of great books have been written, do some back ground reading, then ask again with more specific questions.

Bryan

Thanks for the links Bryan - I'm glad to hear it is not something that requires years and years of practice. Sounds like I've got some summer reading to do. A friend of mine wants to make a summer visit to portland this year, so maybe if I have time to get ready I can do an ascent then. Though I think the views would be more attractive earlier in the spring when there is still a lot of snow up there.

GREAT news that your back is not as bad as previously suspected!!

Thanks for the links Bryan - I'm glad to hear it is not something that requires years and years of practice. Sounds like I've got some summer reading to do. A friend of mine wants to make a summer visit to portland this year, so maybe if I have time to get ready I can do an ascent then. Though I think the views would be more attractive earlier in the spring when there is still a lot of snow up there.

GREAT news that your back is not as bad as previously suspected!!

Happy to help. Keep in mind, Mt Hood along with most alpine regions can go from being a easy hike to a fierce life and death environment in a matter of minutes. Many have died on Mt Hood. Every year the mountain claims both avid climbers and novices. Mt Hood is the second most climbed mountain in the world. It is controlled and it needs to be respected.

The key is conditions and preparedness. Late spring / summer becomes increasingly difficult and dangerous. Mid Winter can be extremely dangerous also. We are in the some of the prime climbing times currently. Conditions change quickly, it is about best estimate/ weather history etc.

Ideally a climbing party has a "Window" of time to allow for the best opportunity to climb. Much like snowboarding, it is so variable, time gives you a chance to choose the best conditions. Many of the accidents are, in part, brought on by "Forced Climbs". Those that "MUST" climb in less than ideal conditions due to time restraints.

Bryan

Well, I am afraid I can not tell you much about conditions on the mountain this week. :( What I can say is that I have had a great time "Off the Hill".

THREE sets of dear friends have stopped by to bring food and most of all encouragement. I am starting to feel guilty that my back ISN'T BROKEN :freak3:

I am so lucky to have such intelligent, kind spirited, funny, healthy, good cooks as friends. Thank you all!! Bryan

Sorry, if I tried to keep you here too long everyone. It was just such a pleasure to visit with you. :biggthump