Note to New Members ×

?'s about Bomber heels

newcarver

Just got my new set of heels. They look sweet and fit perfectly on the boot shell. One problem I am having is with the old screws not being long enough. Anybody know what length and size screws I need? This is for a set of AF700's. Also where can I find them? Had no problem with the toe pad screws, just the heel ones. They barely stick out of the bottom of the heels and the inserts are down in the boot shell another 1/4" or so. This prevents the screw from even getting started in the insert. :confused:

Just got my new set of heels. They look sweet and fit perfectly on the boot shell. One problem I am having is with the old screws not being long enough. Anybody know what length and size screws I need? This is for a set of AF700's. Also where can I find them? Had no problem with the toe pad screws, just the heel ones. They barely stick out of the bottom of the heels and the inserts are down in the boot shell another 1/4" or so. This prevents the screw from even getting started in the insert. :confused:

I think I've had this same problem before, but I don't think you need longer screws.

Some of the screws are longer than the others as I recall. Check your screws and see if some are longer. Use the longer ones where the extra length is needed.

I could be wrong but this is how I remember it when I last installed a set of Intecs.

I had a similar problem with plastic Intecs on SB boots. I needed to get M6 (I think) filister head screws that were 34mm long (I think). That was long enough to pass through the intec into the boot heel and emerge into the boot shell were i was able to put a nylock locking nut on the inside of the boot to back up the insert. You really want those things on there. If you just have a few threads engaged you risk having the heel come off. The screws were nice and long and still do not interfer with the shim below the boot liner. You will need find a hardware store with metric nuts and bolts but the size is pretty common. Take an old screw in with you. I got stainless steel and it is holding up well. the tread locking screws I got with my plastic intec heels were not long enough and they strpped out on me a bit. Be careful to get the heels on there good.

YYZ, you are correct. Should have clairified that they were the standard heel replacements. Found some metric screws at a small hardware store (True Value). Got them fixed up now. Hope to get to ride on my hardboots soon. Been riding softies and now we are getting dumped on! Probably be another week before I get on my Alpine board. :ices_ange