Note to New Members ×

2nd Board to complement Prior WCR181

ajcannon

I live in Iowa so it is not practical to demo boards. Back in January 2006 I relied on advise from some experts on this site and purchased a Prior WCR181 and I love the board. It is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks to all that helped with that purchase (Chris Houghton, Jack Michaud, Bobdea, D-sub, and others).

Now I am looking to get something with a little smaller radius so I can use it on crowded slopes mostly - but still lay down some smaller radius turns and have fun without taking up the whole trail. I still want to go fast but maybe not quite as fast as the WCR needs to go. I don't want anything too soft where the nose might fold on me.

My only other board is a Burton Coil 7.1 which is not in the same league...so this is really going to be my 2nd legitimate carving deck. It will be the board I switch to when the slopes are too crowded for the WCR181.

Can anyone of you long-time riders give me some advise on possible decks to buy?

I am 6'-2", size 12 shoe, 210 lbs, and have Burton plate bindings and ancient burton hard boots (I know I need to upgrade at some point but I really want a 2nd deck first so I can still have fun on crowded trails).

Thanks to everyone in advance. -Adam

Thanks Chris. I will look for something in that 169 range for length.

Do you think I should go with something free-ride/all-mountain? Or go for a slalom style racing board? I would not want to sacrifice carving performance just to get a rounded tail. I don't ride moguls much. Try to stay on flat stuff as much as possible. Don't ride switch at all really.

If I could get similar carving performance out of an all-mountain/Free-ride I would consider it...why not right? But I don't want to end up with something like my Burton COIL 7.1. The nose would buckle whenever you really got into a turn on it.

I assume the new all-mountain/ free-rides don't do that right?

Thanks for the replys...What is a Shtubby or Bus? I put an email in to Coiler maybe they will get back with me. There is nothing by those names on the website, is it a newer model? Also put an email in to Prior and Donek to see if they might have something that will do the stuff I am looking for.

Fastskiguy, maybe send me an email if you are heading up there. It is hard for me to break away but I can do it with a little notice and arm twisting. I get to CO once or twice a year and hit Sundown maybe 4 or 5 times per year. Would like to meet up sometime. -Adam

Thanks for the replys...What is a Shtubby or Bus? I put an email in to Coiler maybe they will get back with me. There is nothing by those names on the website, is it a newer model?

Hahaha… I've always wondered why Bruce/Coiler doesn't at least do a simple little informative website. But then again, look at the price they'll charge you for a metal board compared to everyone else, and that's probably the answer. ;)

greg

As a west coaster Prior is almost on my back door step so I have a lot of Priors.

Something to complement the 181 WCR, depends on what you want to do.

Freecarve/All MTN

- 171 ATV , they run soft in stock form, get beefed up for 200+ , width would be nice for the foot size, you now have mixed and powder days covered, and a 10ish SCR is for sure turnier than the 181's. Mine euro carves like a demon.

-179 ATV/FWD, again the extra width nice , 11ish SCR is a great compromise, I find this to be a great deck for everything except powder over 15cms, the fact that I own two should say something, one with titanal construction would be heaven.

Carving

177 WCR- I have a normal construction and an 09 proto titanal, I find the 11.9 SCR perfect for my local area which tends to be a bit crowded. the 177 WCR's spoon tail makes it much more versatile off piste than a traditional square tail. I buy my carvers based not on lenght but the desired SCR and flex pattern .

177 Titanal Fatjack ( Prior)- this one is a " two off" , I ended up with one that came out not quite right for Pokkis I believe. Love this board. Basically a titanal 177 WCR that got widened out to around 23cm waist, Chris left the stock core thickness with the width so she came out nice and stiff , nice for us 200+ pounders and the width lets me back off on the angles with a touch of underhang. Carves exceedingly well on all conditions, and the width makes it a competent All Mtn deck. Once again the 11.9 SCR of the 177 WCR makes a nice small mtn crowded carver. Titanal makes for a very forgiving board to ride.

I would be very intersted in trying out the Coiler "Schtubbie" series myself to see what all the hype is about, that non existant nose concerns me a bit for west coast riding.

Glad you like the 181! Keep in mind the Madd 170 is 18cm wide. You'll be at like 70+ degrees with your gunboats. I think you'll have a lot more fun on something wider.

I'd vote for a Prior WCR169 or Donek FC171-II. Coiler rules too, but the wait might be too long.

I'm not a fan of any non-custom All-Mtn carving boards because the sidecuts are all too short for their lengths, IMO.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I ordered a Prior WCR 169 metal. It is just the standard non-custom deck which has 19.5 cm waist (same as my 181). I haven't had a problem with the width on that board so I decided to stick with it here. The side cut radius is around 10m - I think my 181 was at 13m so this should be a lot more turny. I thought I might as well try out the metal thing too. Should have it in three weeks...thanks everybody for helping me stimulate the economy. BTW it is a good time to buy Canadian..the exchange rate is about .87 US to $1.00 CAN right now. If anyone thinks I screwed up real bad...give me a last warning.

You definitely didn't screw up- Chris Prior will treat ya right.

I'm looking at ordering the samne size board for myself to round up my quiver-have boards that fill this function from 160-164 (trees and moguls), and boards that go from 170-172 (All mountain carvers), but not a high 160ish one.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I ordered a Prior WCR 169 metal. It is just the standard non-custom deck which has 19.5 cm waist (same as my 181). I haven't had a problem with the width on that board so I decided to stick with it here. The side cut radius is around 10m - I think my 181 was at 13m so this should be a lot more turny. I thought I might as well try out the metal thing too. Should have it in three weeks...thanks everybody for helping me stimulate the economy. BTW it is a good time to buy Canadian..the exchange rate is about .87 US to $1.00 CAN right now. If anyone thinks I screwed up real bad...give me a last warning.

Left Sioux City Iowa a while back so Hi fellow Iowan.

I know you already bought a new Prior -- good choice in Mfr BTW,.

I am curious if you considered the 4WD which is built around the design of the WCR? I ride two 4WD - 179 and 174 -- also have ridden the WCR 181 and 185 -- all great boards. Good luck -- when you need a 3rd consider the

4WD.

I hope your right Chris. If I like it as much as I did the 181 I will be a really happy guy - and I'll be less likely to kill someone on the slopes - so a win-win for everyone. The 181 is still awesome, but man you have to have some space and some speed. I once had a skier tell me in the lift line that I sounded like a 727 jet when I went by him on the 181 - funny... (this is in Iowa where people seldom see carving). Thanks again everyone for your help...I will let you know how it turns out. -Adam

To C5 Golfer: I guess I didn't want to take a chance on losing some of the stiffness and carvability by going to a more all-mountain board. Like you said, maybe that will be my third board in a year or two.

BTW..I mistated the exchange rate earlier...it is .77 US to 1.00 CAN. So a $1000 canadian board costs $770 US. Not too bad right now. -Adam

Sounds like a good pick. I was just about to write in and suggest something with a sidecut in the 10m range to complement the 13 (ish) of your WCR 181. Keeping the same width will also help you feel right at home on it.