Note to New Members ×

stubby vs. prior 4wd

dave29

different animals

a stubby is metal and a no compromise carver.

4wd, great if you want a all mountain carver (a compromise).

the thing about the stubby that makes it the one that's hard to beat is it blasts through crud, the width is enough that it rides with ease anywhere and the SCR is such that it's happier at a higher speed threshold of other boards it's size. mine has a tighter radius than the ones most people have but is still super stable.

on top of all that it will carve better on the perfect groom than a 4wd I'd wager.

Not very similar at all. The biggest difference is probably the sidecut radius. Most stubbies have a fairly large radius, like 14.2m, for making high speed GS turns with good stability. The 4WD has a radius in the 9-10m range (for the 164-174 sizes) and likes to make shorter, slalom-like turns. The 4WD also has a longer nose and tail, and therefore less effective edge for a given length. The 4WD is a great all-around board -- very good in bumps and crud and in the trees, pretty good in powder, yet carves very well on the groomed slopes too, especially if you like to make a lot of shorter, moderate-speed turns.

The Coiler closer to the 4WD would probably be the AM (all-mountain).

The comparison should be between the Prior WCR Metal and Coiler Schtubby - or - the Prior 4WD and Coiler All-Mtn.

The shape of the Schtubby is similar to the WCR, but with a slightly shorter nose, and slightly wider waist. My Schtubby is 1cm wider (21) so it's even more versatile without compromising any carving ability.

For GS turns like you said, you want either the WCR or Schtubby. The 4WD or AM have too short sidecut radii. For a GS board that can do all-mtn too, you want the Schtubby or a wider WCR.

I'll add something to what Jack said... IMHO the Coiler AM and Prior 4x4 are still apples and oranges compared to each other. Well, they are apples and oranges if you are talking about ordering a new Coiler AM as it would be a titanal board where the 4x4 would not be unless you go custom. Also note the difference in sidecuts... the Coiler AM is about halfway betwwen the Prior sidecut and a GS sidecut.

IMHO the new Coiler AM's make a better freecarve deck than most of the "freecarve" decks out there, they are incredibly grippy with the titanal construction and they carve without compromise at moderate speeds.

Of course if you want stability at GS speeds then compare Schtubby vs Prior WCR Metal as Jack says.

IMHO the new Coiler AM's make a better freecarve deck than most of the "freecarve" decks out there, they are incredibly grippy with the titanal construction and they carve without compromise at moderate speeds.

Of course if you want stability at GS speeds then compare Schtubby vs Prior WCR Metal as Jack says.

even the non-metal AMs blow away the majority of freecarvers I've been on, unfoldable and grippy.