Note to New Members ×

Kimberley?

big canuck

I have ridden there a few times. It is a really fun carving mountain. It is just a fun mountain, without a lot of glitz or glam. Great for families. We got a package deal with a sweet condo and tickets for very little cash. The town of Kimberly in the mid 80's decided to go with a Nordic/Bavarian theme to attract more folks so it is a cute quaint town. For the money it is a good deal, with good grooming. Probably a better mountain for carving groomers then Fernie. I would recommend Kimberly for certain, if you can find a sweet deal.

Enjoy!

Ooh, Kimberley! My fave BC mountain bar none.

The best thing about Kimberley is the long fall line crusing runs off the back, most of them are blues, sometimes they're groomed and sometimes not, it doesn't matter. You can just switch the brain off and go for miles. There's some great tree riding too (something I only discovered last season, but my skier friend spent all her time in there).

On the front side (off the main chair, and to the right as you go up) is some excellent groomed running but it can get a little crowded and a little chopped. The best kept secret off the front is to the left, where the old Rosa chair used to be - now that chair is gone, the whole side of the hill is deserted, and after a dump you can play in untracked knee-deep over there until well after lunch.

The only downside is that it needs some serious money spent on infrastructure - the high speed four pack off the front is good, but the other two main chairs are doubles and the lines can get 5 min + long and a bit tedious.

Facilities on hill are good - you can ski in ski out to Kelseys for lunch and to the Stemwinder for a beer. The village is cute, if not terribly exciting. Accommodations packages via SkiRCR are smoking - the lift pass is virtually free and it's ski in ski out nearly all the way. In Feb, when the snow is good, Kimberley rocks. You can easily spend three to four days there.

I'm going there for New Years, I'll let you know how it is.:)

Riceball could probably tell you more too, he's been there a few times.

Thanks Allee. Yes, Kimberley is a great place to bring your hard boots. But also bring your freeride stick as you never know when it's going to dump there. Dean Right off of the Easter Triple Chair is a good groomer and any of the blues off of the North Star Express are good rippers too. The Tamarack double chair has a few nice surpises also, but the chair is older than dirt and really slow.