Note to New Members ×

Best small carving resort in Quebec?

skategoat

I'm looking for a ski resort for the family. I'd like to find something with ski in/out accomodation and preferably within 7 hours drive from Toronto. That rules out Quebec City. I also do not want to go to Tremblant. Been there too many times.

I'm thinking Mont Blanc or Eastern Townships. I've been to Bromont and enjoyed it but I don't want to rule out the other resorts in the Townships. I have never been to Mont Blanc.

Thoughts? Ideally, I'd like to find a lot of intermediate terrain with wide runs to give me room to rip a carving board.

Unless you really like ICE pack, you should rule out Orford in the Eastern Township. Owl's Head is very nice, worth a look. You could take a sneak peek at Jay Peak, VT from Owl's Head. Sutton is known for its glades and narrow runs, not what you like for carving. Bromont could be very crowded with its very aggresive pricing ( had 25,000 season passes a couple years ago !! )

Mont Blanc has a solid base of young hardbooters, the biggest group of kids in Quebec. You have an "Auberge" and Condos for Ski-In/out. The Auberge is located within the main chalet/cafeteria/bar. It would be a logical choice, if you rule out Quebec City.

All depend on time of the year also.

Mont blanc is a decent place to carve, it's not super high.

You could also consider Owls Head, mid week it's empty there. They have decent grooming and a good vertical. Some challenging narrow runs that are pretty steep and a many wide cruisers. You have tuesday and weds at 15$ it's pretty cheap. You could also hit Jay peak that is only a few minutes drive from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Henry. Coincidentally I was looking up Mont Blanc too just yesterday. I ran into an out of town carver at MSLM yesterday that was talking about it, so I was curious as I was looking for a Quebec alternative as well.

The availability of slope side accomodations was attractive and the prices were quite reasonable.

I don't mind the small places, but for those in the know, how high is it? (I couldn't find the elevation on the website) And how are the lifts? Guessing a bit on the slow side?

Gabe

I'm trying to convince a small group of friends to go but they are all whining about the vertical. Mind you, every one of these people are intermediates or beginners who start their days at 10AM and end it by 2PM with a 3-beer lunch break in between. But, they feel that 1000 foot mountain is not worth a 6 hour drive. I'm still working on it.

If Mont Blanc is not high enough and you have rule out Tremblant And Quebec area...that put you back to Owl's Head in the Eastern Township http://www.owlshead.com/page.asp?intNodeID=37824

Owl's is the fifth ( ? ) highest mountain in Quebec ( Le Massif, Tremblant, Ste-Anne, Orford ). They have Ski-in Ski-out accomodation. You can drive to Jay Peak, Vertmont for a day ( 30-35 minutes drive ) for a powder day. You're 45 minutes away from Magog, where you can find nice places for dining or entertainement.

Mid-week at Owl's Head, you will be "alone", nothing to compare to Tremblant or Bromont. If interested, Provincial federation have organized a 2-days event last year ( small boardercross & GS style race ) at Owl's Head and were looking to repeat this again.

Superbee