Note to New Members ×

Question for Art and other firemen

Dan

Last weekend, my wife had a severe allergic reaction to something she ate, I called 911, and the fire truck zipped over from the fire station down the street (it's about 5 blocks away). The firemen were super on the ball and everything turned out fine.

So...is it appropriate to bring a case of beer to the fire station as a thank-you? I'm assuming they can't drink it on duty, but they could take it home, right?

I don't know about firemen, but that's absolutely acceptable and welcome amongst ski patrollers.

True Dat!

I havent gotten beer yet, but we do get nice letters and a 10 thousand dollar fund to buy new defibulators for the mountain after our patrol saved someone's life with it.

I havent gotten beer yet, but we do get nice letters and a 10 thousand dollar fund to buy new defibulators for the mountain after our patrol saved someone's life with it.

That's awesome. We actually saved a Patroller's life with one two seasons ago. That's worth more than almost anything. I saw him a few weeks ago. He's doing really well. Skied a couple days last season and hopefully a few more this year. Not sure when he'll be back patrolling on a regular basis.

Second the Ice Cream in a round container(s) unless for root beer floats, then a square container on vanilla is acceptable. Depending on the city they probably have specific policies banning alcohol on the premesis or accepting alcohol. Unles you can figure out a way to get it to them off duty. You guys carry an epi pen and benedryl now?

Thanks everyone for your responses, sounds like ice cream is the way to go.

Sinecure, as far as what caused the reaction, it's not really clear. I had oysters, but she did not, as she doesn't know if she's allergic to them or not. We both had halibut, and she got sick after eating the halibut, even though she's eaten halibut many times before with no problems.

So, our best guess is one of the following:

1) she's deathly allergic to oysters and there was cross-contamination in the kitchen (but it took quite awhile for the oysters to kick in if that's true)

2) She became allergic to halibut some time in the last 3 months or so.

Weird, huh? Not sure which of those is more reasonable.

And on the Epipen and Benadryl, her Epipen was expired, and neither of us was carrying Benadryl. Mea culpa on both counts -- she's renewing her prescription tomorrow.

Dan I have seen many adults hav adult onset reactions. I had one myself many years ago, but not had one since and have eaten the same food. You never know, she may never have one again. I bet it was the halibut, talk to the Doc, and Im sure the fellas will be grateful for the 'scream.