Note to New Members ×

I hit rock bottom

Guest Ghostrider

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

I think if you pick a stiffish mid-length board from any of the good manufacturers you'll be fine. Personally I like both camber and concave.

[/Quote]

So what's a "good" manufacturer? What is stiffish? What is mid-length? Looks like the sizes range from 28-44" So the Bozi 36" GS sounds good? It is both front cambered (like my future Madd) and concave.

What about the Asphalt Playground "Insect"? That look more like a longboard than a whippity slalom board (no wheel cutouts). What about pintails? What are they good fore? Tight long carves instead of the quick twitches of a slalom board?

If I'm doing mostly parking lot pumping and shallow hill carving? Is that more slalom than longboard?

I'm not sure about the Seismics, this degree thing is new to them. You might search the trucks forum at ncdsa to get some answers. The Randall IIs in 180 or 150 mm width don't come in degrees. You could add angled riser pads to change the geometry but frankly they don't need it - run 'em flat and they'll work fine for your purposes. If you are looking for a flatland pump sort of board you might be better off with the Seismics by all accounts - never rode them myself.

Flashbacks are a particular model of wheel made by ABEC11, which is Chris Chaput's company. They're highly recommended for what you want to do. ABEC11 is a joke name based on the marketing of bearings by their ABEC number, which has little to do with their performance in a skating application.

I'll look at NCDSA again, but the website doesn't really organize it information in any conscious way (just has archives of old posts).

Right, I remember have ABEC 5 bearings for my rollerbladings and ABEC 7's were really expensive (and ABEC 3s were not very smooth). I meant to compare Flashback vs Avilas (named after the Dogtown Thomas Avila?)

Originally posted by lonerider

So what's a "good" manufacturer? What is stiffish? What is mid-length? Looks like the sizes range from 28-44" So the Bozi 36" GS sounds good? It is both front cambered (like my future Madd) and concave.

28" is a short slalom deck. 44" is a medium-long longboard (they go to 60"). The 36" Bozi is probably a good buy for you.

What about the Asphalt Playground "Insect"? That look more like a longboard than a whippity slalom board (no wheel cutouts). What about pintails? What are they good fore? Tight long carves instead of the quick twitches of a slalom board?

Not familiar with that board, but if Fluitt recommends it you're probably OK. Cutouts don't necessarily mean slalom. My slalom deck has no cutouts. Pintails are all about style, I've never understood there to be any technical reason for them.

If I'm doing mostly parking lot pumping and shallow hill carving? Is that more slalom than longboard?

Really depends on the style of slalom. Boards set up for tight (cone spacing under 6') slalom are probably too nervous for what you want to do. Boards set up for faster GS courses might work well for you. The slalom geeks get super-technical about their setups, I'm not that fussy (and nobody to race here anyways).

I'll look at NCDSA again, but the website doesn't really organize it information in any conscious way (just has archives of old posts).

You might find a bunch of useful info at Hugh's site, including some info on bearings.

Originally posted by Allee

Where the hell do you find a hill there???

It's a problem, so I thought of cyber-slalom.

Also I've always been more of a vert guy, so when they opened the concrete park late last fall I was a happy camper. Hoping to have time to get out quite a bit this year, but a combination of sucky weather and kids' activities has kept me out of the bowl so far this spring.

• 3 weeks later...

Holly crap ghostrider, i wish i had your kind of funds, a new custom bike, a new street board, a new crazy fast remote cotrol boat(which i would like to see pics of if its a finished project yet), a new wakeboard set up, and how many new carving boards do you have lined up for next season? You should take that jeep liberty of yours and make a project out of it, you know, get a huge lift, some giant tires, throw a winch on it, just make it so it should never ever be able to get stuck, and this coming season we'll go out and see if we can get it stuck. It'll be a good time, you should do it.