Note to New Members ×

Swallowtail Advice

Twinfin84

I recently bought an Original Sin Model 4807 Swallowtail, and I am trying to figure out what the best bindings would be.. any suggestions? I am looking for a soft boot setup.:cool:

I use '08 Burton Missions on mine, they work great for me. Just pick something with nice, ergonomically shaped straps and highback. Boot choice is IMHO far more important, and the three most important things to consider ina soft boots are fit, fit and fit.

I've used Nidecker Pro 800, Atomic Zombie, and Drake F50's on mine. I liked the Nideckers the best ( as a binding) but on that deck I Prefered the Atomics since they were lighter. I have size 13 boots and also used a Palmer riser plate...I think the 5 or 10mm one. That didn't eliminate heel out for me. Toes were ok, but I'd get one or the other. That's why I switched to Hardboots.

On my powder decks, I prefer a softer softboot binding.

J

Go with a step in system if you can find one, or Flows. I found my Northwaves (boots) on sale for $100 dollars and I love them. But, I wish that I had gotten a step in binding or Flows instead. I absolutely hate having to buckle in on a deep day. I also add a Powerstrap to the heel on my rear boot and a Powerstrap to the shin on my front boot. Makes a huge difference once the goods get chopped up.

Mark

:lol::lol:age old disturbance in the force regarding the official status of a 4807 as a swallowtail.

general consensus is somewhere in between a standard and a swallowtail. fishtail seems apt but then the burton fish isn't so confusion reigns supreme. Its usually good for a few pages of heated discussion:biggthump

Go with a step in system if you can find one, or Flows. I found my Northwaves (boots) on sale for $100 dollars and I love them. But, I wish that I had gotten a step in binding or Flows instead. I absolutely hate having to buckle in on a deep day. I also add a Powerstrap to the heel on my rear boot and a Powerstrap to the shin on my front boot. Makes a huge difference once the goods get chopped up.

Mark

Could you post some pics of this powerstrap setup you speak of? Sounds intriguing. Do you use stock straps from ski boots, or "Booster" brand booster straps? Thanks.

FWIW, I love using hard boots in walk mode on swallowtail boards.

Sinecure: Sorry, I should have written Booster straps. That is what I use and I like the secure feeling I get from using the straps. (Edit: Once I have my boots laced up, I add the Booster straps and cinch them down. That should be fairly easy to envision.)

As to using hardboots on a powder deck, I'm with you on that. Especially for wide open runs and big terrain. That said, I'd think twice about using hardboots in walk mode. Much has been written here about the subject and is considered by some (including myself) to be bad medicine.

Mark

Anyone use tape for softboots?

Playing defensive end I had to tape the crap out of my cleats to get enough support for when I made tackles in the b-gap for loss or no gain. Offensive lineman felt the need lay on top of me every time I made a tackle. Not quite sure why they would want to risk hurting their tailback. They liked to roll off of me and try and hurt my knees and ankles. Frickin' o-line.

BlueB u need to open a french school :) reminded me of Inspecteur Clouzeau

As for that tail, its just beeing precise, i don't care really lol... the burton fish ??? does anything beeing called fish gives confusion??? i thought alpine riders where freaks when it came to gear accuracy :)

;)

N

I thought that something might had been lost in translation, so I had to switch to my Clouzeau French as the last resource :D Even my English is not much better... At the end of the day, French is our other official language here in Canuckistan.

I kinda remember enough from school (25 years ago) to be able to put these few sentences in writing, or to read newspaper... However, I couldn't speak up for dear life...