Note to New Members ×

Advice on All Mtn Boards

Flyin Hawaiian

Thought this would be the best place to get some input. Does anyone have recommendations on an all mtn? I know Coiler's are probably tops, but I'm not looking to break the bank just yet and wanted somthing asap. Prior has the 4x4 and ATV and Donek has the Axis. Plus anything discontinued anyone knows about. I'm just looking for something I can ride in northeast conditions, NH to be exact. Plus I'm over 6ft and 200lbs. Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

Go to startingate near stratton - as of last year, and I assume this year as well, you can Demo an Axxess and maybe a Coiler AM as well...help in your choice.

My first modern carving board was an Axis (same as the axxess) that I bought out of their demo fleet after riding it for a day - great guys to deal with, great board.

Been on both the ATV and the 4wd. Both awesome boards.

ATV = better float, soft flex, usable with softboots and a great transition board. Might want to have it stiffened up a bit if you want to use plates and are pretty aggressive. I've folded the nose on my 161 at 145 pounds.

4wd = thinner version of ATV with stiffer flex. carves amazingly well. and great for taking all around the mountain. if you don't have big feet and won't be seeing quite as much freshies, I'd get this over the ATV.

Don't know anything about the Axis and haven't tried a coiler. A number of coilers have been popping up here on the classifieds though. From what i hear, you can't go wrong with them. I wouldn't know first hand though.

Might want to look into a Tanker. I'm using that for my AM board now. Not very good on boiler plate ice from what i hear though. Wouldn't know, never been on Ice-Coast mountains. Been in icy conditions (this is SoCal - we get warm temps to melt stuff, which re-freezes over night) though. For what i've been riding on in my area, it's a great board. And when you do get some powder, WOW, best board i have ever been on for those conditions.