Note to New Members ×

Stance Q

No.2

Can any one help me optimize my stance. Specs are 20.5" 61F 57R Heeps of toe and heal lift and cant, Catek OS2s, boots slightly back from centered over binding, 26 UPZ RTRs with thermos, well down sized and blown out all over the place quite straight on the front boot with more forward lean on the back boot. Hips seem to be further towards the front than the bindings...

Bigest Q is should I cant my boots. Standing up they feel fine but with the stiff Grey Asym tongues in my shin gets pushed out when I flex in to the cuffs. This may be a result of blowing out the toe box so much... (where the tongue attaches) not sure. I'm running a lot of cant on the bindings to make it comfortable on the hill.

Any thoughts would be great. There's no one over here in NZ (North Island at least) that can help me with this.

Now no laughing at the tights and stockings. I wasn't even going to wear shorts but then I remembered 'this is the internet' :o

J

post-1236-141842261546_thumb.jpg

post-1236-14184226155_thumb.jpg

post-1236-141842261553_thumb.jpg

i don't think the overhang should be a problem unless you are riding the board completely perpendicular to the slope.

as for stance... have you tried riding flat? no cant/lift. i started riding like this last season and it has worked wonders. i feel more comfortable on the board now. it took a little getting used to but once you do... wow. my 2cents.

nothing on boot cuff adjustments, but here is some info on binding canting/lifting:

http://www.bomberonline.com//articles/canting.cfm

Also how tall are you and what is your inseam? With a size 26 boot, I'm thinking you probably can't dunk. In which case, a 20.5" stance might be a bit wide for you. You might try bringing it in to 19.5".

With a narrower stance you may need less canting. I ran pretty much flat for years, but had narrow stances (16-17"). I have recently been widening my stance per the current trend, but find that I need some canting now to be comfortable and to avoid wavy heelside carves. I have a 32" inseam and I'm currently around a 19 to 19.5" stance.

For boot canting, what some do is dangle a plumb bob from your kneecap as you bend your legs and see what angle develops between the plumb bob and the lower foot. Then adjust your boot cant to that amount. If you like to tuck your rear knee behind your front, then some rear boot cant might help you do that.

Thanks guys.

Regarding cant I didn't run cant on my old 325 Raichles with the center tongue. But with my UPZ with the Asym tongue as I flex into the boots they fire my knees outwards especially with the stiff grey tongues in. Which is kind of nice toe side as you mention in that great cant article Jack. How ever with the UPZs it was way too uncomfortable with that stance width/angles.

Even with all the cant I'm running I'm still knees apart even when I'm draging my rear knee in the snow toe side (ie too much in the back seat :) My inseam is 38"

Thanks heeps for you thoughts I'll try a narrower stance, more forward angles, less toe and heal lift today.

Q for the guys riding flat. What do you do with your boots forward lean adjustments?

:)

J

With 38" inseam you might need that wide stance!

For me, when my boot cuffs are not adjusted at the same lean, is an indicator that I don't have right toe/heel lift on the bindings. Rear boot at greater angle then fwd means more toe/heel lift is needed. Fwd boot cuff at greater angle means too much toe/heel lift...

Also, with straighter cufs, I need more heel then toe lift. With more angled boots, I need lesser heel lift and more toe lift, to keep the CG centered.

When riding flat, I had a little bit of forward lean in the front boot and quite a bit of forward lean in the rear boot.

i'm similar. i try to ride front boot as straight as possible, and more forward lean in the rear (otherwise my shin starts to kill). i put in the softer tongues for this upcoming season..and i still have to install the BTS and do some cutting in my Stratos.

nice risers btw.

I've definatly found more forward lean esp on the front boot = more thigh burn. esp when traversing.

Sorry to do every thing backwards here but today was such a good day that the only stance I played around with was MORE CANT and more forward angles. I certainly noticed that my heal side initiations were easier. All this cant just seems to be necessary with these asym tongue UPZs.

I'm beginning to think that may be it's just what your used to and stance maybe doesn't matter that much. I've tried all sorts flat, heeps of heal lift, 70s 45s even duck on my BX board and every thing seems do able. I guess I just need to build up enough body awareness to notice when I'm fighting the stance and when I can just relax into it with and still keep clean.

The only stance that I have really found hard was 57F 54R. I really didn't know what to do with that... Might be telling I'm not sure.

Thanks again for all your input guys. If any one has got any gems then I'm still very interested.

Jas