Note to New Members ×

Tele ski advice for wife needed

carvedog

I know a few tele out there, ( k_t are you there?) and would like some input on a new setup for my wife.

She is a solid intermediate tele'er. She can do steeper bump runs survival style but never goes there unless she is exploring with me. On groomed she is pretty solid on skidded turns, doesn't carve except on the flatter turn where a bigger turn shape is not needed to slow down. Occasionally her back leg gets too far and she ends up with legs crossed behind or something even weirder.

She loves pow that is not too deep and will go almost anywhere when it is snowing. And yes there occasionaly spectacular crashes as a result.

She has been wanting to try out something a little carvier and wider and more for powder. She is on 7 yr old Tuas right now.

Skis are a complete mystery and there seems to be more hype than substance. We don't want to buy new so looking for something that would be a couple of seasons broken in. She is around 5' 7" and 150 to 160. She is definitely strong and muscular does the hot yoga thing a couple of times a week and runs up hill a couple of days a week - for reasons that escape me.

Any suggestions, links or input would be appreciated.

I'm sure she wouldn't like you pegging her weight at 160 lbs, speaking as a wife, myself.......

Hmmmm...skis......definitely not more hype than substance, but finding message boards were you can find similar product reviews among users like here.....:(

The product reviews on Ski and similar publication websites seem to be more like regurgitations of the company's ads....

My advice would be to talk to some of the local tele's or hill instructor.....of course, they may just hype whomever their boss has a merchandising agreement with!

I'm sure she wouldn't like you pegging her weight at 160 lbs, speaking as a wife, myself.......

Post pregnancy she was .....more. I don't have much attachment to numbers and she doesn't know but a couple of peeps on this board. Did cross my mind though.

My wife is in great shape, and she is very solid and muscular. I don't go for the model look at all and she is very height/weight and body type porportional. Just a great looking, athletic, outdoor girl. And I love all of her.

The product reviews on Ski and similar publication websites seem to be more like regurgitations of the company's ads....

That is what I meant about hype

My advice would be to talk to some of the local tele's or hill instructor.....of course, they may just hype whomever their boss has a merchandising agreement with!

I talked to a couple local tele guys and pretty generic advice emerged like get a wider shovel ........'

was hoping for a brand and model recommend. Thinking she would be happiest on a 160 to ( no longer than ) 170.

Thanks Mud. Seems like a group of us doing the bend the knee thing.

No problem. Glad to help.

Yeah, they are pretty much like us.

I know a couple of local guys, whose opinions I value quite a bit, that post on there regularly.

I don't visit that board much, but if they are on, it should be pretty good.

I DO check out skibuilders however, VERY good site.

Becki is taller, heavier probly less "adventureous", her '06 170 K2 Schidevils are a great all around tele with enough shovel to float in pow & enough shape/flex to carve on groom. I've used them a few times & had fun even though they were a a little short & soft for me. the perfect ski for someone looking to "step up the game" on the whole mountain:biggthump

See if you can get ahold of C.P. and see what his wife Stacey is riding. I understand she rips up Baldy pretty good and might have some insight. If you need contact info, let me know. (O.T. the pic has already generated lots of comments in our house!)

Mud - skibuilders.com - what a cool site. Great tutorials and stuff. It would be cool to try sometime.

boardski - thanks. Now I at least have something to look for at the ski swaps coming up this fall.

Matt - glad she doesn't do bomber cuz she would take one look at those beauties and say " I want them". Great looking sticks for sure.

Art - CP as in Chris Peterson??. Not sure who else that would be, and I would love contact info.

Hopefully the comments are positive about the art. I sure do love that piece, particularly in that frame.