Note to New Members ×

Tim Russert

scotts.Scheinman

Tim Russert was real journalism. I work in D.C. and he was undisputedly the King of Sunday morning. I'm kind of wonkish and I'll miss him terribly. I always listen to the radio re-airs of the Sunday morning shoutfests on late night radio. C-span and some NPR affiliates.

Not to segway inappropriately, but this did remind me of a saturday afternoon incident in D.C. years ago which involved me nearly running over a jogging George Stephanapoulos ( did I spell that correctly?). He was answering his cell and loped right in front of me - a legit scare/near miss. "Angelic funk" is how Clinton described him (George S., that is). Please, that sounds like a man crush if ever I heard one. Anyway, RIP Tim Russert.

Sorry, as chief of the Washington bureau, Tim Russert said nothing when the story broke that "the military experts" used to promote the war prior to 2002 were paid Pentagon employees, thus violating a law against military propaganda in place since 1919.

That and the fact he threw softballs at governmental officials when it came to policy questions threw him into the category of yet another member of the "4th Estate" that violated our trust in keeping us, the public, informed about world events.

Alex Bennett said it best this morning...."Where's the 5 days of media coverage for each of the 4000 active duty personnel killed in a war that he stood by and let happen without questioning once?"

He was a tool. The fact that he was on TV doesn't make you a saint. I'm reminded of the line from the movie "To Die For"-"you're only important if you're on TV"

Pathetic

I don't see the point in your post, Skatha. Are you tryin to become the new voice of disrespect here? This thread was started as a tribute to a well known and generlly admired reporter. If you feel the need to bash someone, start your own "Tim Russert and the lefties who hate him thread"

There is not a single reporter in history who you couldn't paint with the same brush. "He missed this story and that story" is a load of crap. Reporters, even at the top level, seldom have editorial control. Blame the corporations, if you really need someone to blame, But kicking the guy after he's dead is just plain cheap.

I thought Mr. Russert was one of the top political reporters in history. May he rest in peace and may his family, friends, and co-workers find comfort in their time of sorrow.

Tex and Trailertrash should be credited with maybe the most timely, appropriate and reasonable responses ever. Totally on the mark. Posthumous trashings are truly what's "pathetic". Hope Skatha isn't remembered solely for a misdiagnosis or some other isolated incident/anomaly (or maybe it's not, what do I know).