Note to New Members ×

Pumping - deck/wheels?

Bullwings

Just curious, what decks out there are good for pumping? I currently have a vanguard, but I'm starting to think, it's not really the board for pumping - of course I might just really suck.

Also, what wheels are good for pumping? I have some 85mm 75a speedvents, and I'm also not so sure if it's suited to pumping.

I was thinking of getting some 73a avilas. I want something grippy that's good for pumping. And pumping aside, anything out there with more grip than avilas?

I figure the LDP from roeracing is probably a good pumping deck, but does it make a good carving board too?

The 76mm Superballs from earthwing are said to have more grip than Avila's and they come pretrimmed...I personally don't care for heavy wide wheels for flatland endeavors, try something in the 68mm-71mm range.

As for pumping boards Roes, though they are custom and take a while to recieve, are probably the end all be all but this Waverly complete looks interesting and our very own xxguitarist makes a very nice pumper

do the boards from Roe make decent carvers too? I still want a board that's decent for carving. I'd also prefer a board that's around 36" to 42" and has some flex (i know the Roe boards have flex).

From all that I've heard Subsonic and LBL are the fastest working custom shops right now. I'd willingly skate a board from either I would put both on par in the skateboard world with Coiler or Donek contact them about a board and what you are looking for which ever one gives you a better feeling about meeting your needs go with them

BUT ..

I have several decks made from old snowboards that pump amazingly well with randall II 180's set up loose with the softest bushings I could find and ABEC 11 no schools or the like. they flex an insane amount but you can work a vertical motion into the pump and the board gives it all back when it recambers. loads of fun. miles without a foot on the pavement.:biggthump

The burton is made from a stat 6 and is quite stiff. The garage is made from a (gasp) new garage board that had cosmetic problems in the nose area. Jon allowed me to modify it into a skateboard since the offending area was removed. I later added grip tape in the general area of my stance angles.

post-2375-141842258364_thumb.jpg

post-2375-141842258365_thumb.jpg

post-2375-141842258366_thumb.jpg

using an old snowboard for make a pumping board is a viable option (if you have a board to cut up...CMC used to skate slalom on cutdown snowboards

don't knock Roe out just because of the time. Yes it takes him some time to fabricate a board but it's like getting on Bruce's Build list, the board he builds is worth the wait. However since you seem to want a board before the summer is over Subsonic is probably good for a custom that you will probably use for years to come

Boards are cheap and plentiful at the pawnshop this time of year. I bought several last year at 15$ a piece. I currently have 6 or so different shapes cut down from snowboards. Its a great father son project. His buddies all come and want to borrow a board when he is out riding.

Any recommendations for trucks?

pavedwave recommends Bennetts.

I want something that I can pump with but carve with down steeps when i need to.

I was thinking of seismics with all of their crazy spring options. I don't think my R-II 180s make the best pumping trucks...

Pumping is kind like flatland super giant slalom, conventional trucks (as opposed to reverse kingpin trucks) work better, A Bennett, Ace or Indy front with a Tracker RTS or Seismic stable (30* baseplate) rear would be a good pumping setup and if you don't overly wedge the front still good for hill carving, though you will have to get used to a faster turning board than most carving boards

Also, if you're not LDPing and you want a good work out, a supershort wheelbase is nice. I'm running wedged Randal 180s, going against most people's recommendation for conventional trucks. There's a video of me floating around on my camera pumping 9 miles an hour on a treadmill..the wheelbase allows for such a tiny pump stroke, but I'm essentially treating it as a flat slalom.

Really, I've found if you can actually pump well, it can be as simple as tightening up the rear truck and loosening the front, and you can pretty much pump as effectively as you'd ever need to.

When it comes to pumping...

Smaller wheels (62-70mm) are better - with a softer duro on the rear / harder on front. Quicker and easier to get up to speed because of the smaller diameter, and grip on the rear where your power is - with harder faster wheels on front to keep the roll going.

Lighter boards are better, period. The lighter the ride (as long as it is fairly stiff) the more of your energy gets transferred to the wheels. My new Gecko is amazing...about the third pump it just takes off like it has its own power - mounted with Radikals front (Claw) and back (Wing)...expensive as heck, but what a ride!

Bushings - super important for pumping. High rebound bushings made from Abec11 or similar wheels are great - and "fat" bushings like Stims or their various knockoffs (like Venom) are helpful as a bottom bushing to give retun-to-center "pop".

Pump on brothers and sisters!

-RF

don't be messing with venom; zach is a good guy; he's doing a good job and is making good stuff, which is starting to get more and more rare as all of the bushing and wheel companies are switching into mass production mode. either way, the stim style bushings are only one of the many kinds he's making. if you have a problem with zach's stuff please don't take potsthots at him on the internet.

Yeah he just stated that Zak, like others is making copies (also called Knock offs) of the Stim Shape...I have a bunch of Venoms and am very pleased with their performance. Both my speedboards have Venom Stims in them Also as an FYI though many of us are also members of Fish where there is some hate for slalom and Zak but no one here has expressed anything but respect for what he has brought to skateboarding...not to mention he's fricken fast

don't be messing with venom; zach is a good guy; he's doing a good job and is making good stuff, which is starting to get more and more rare as all of the bushing and wheel companies are switching into mass production mode. either way, the stim style bushings are only one of the many kinds he's making. if you have a problem with zach's stuff please don't take potsthots at him on the internet.

Like those guys said - "Huh?" What are you on drugs? I'm reccommending those bushings be used. Talk about twisting words...jesus.

But hey, thanks for filling me in...'cause you know that as a nationally competitive racer I would have NO idea what Zak (not Zach) is doing.

A "knockoff" is a copy of an original design - in this case Tracker Stimulators. It's not a "potshot".

And by the way, good stuff is NOT becoming more and more rare - it's the opposite...there is more and better stuff all the time. Rads, GOG, Pavel, Gecko, PPS, SK8Kings, Seismic, Abec11, Khiro, Retro, and the list goes on - all have out out new and better designs in the past year.

I think maybe it is you that needs to be careful of taking potshots at people on the internet.