Note to New Members ×

The Music Nerd Thread

KingCrimson

Well, I was happy with the section of the Best Alpine Song thread in which we talked about music theory..

So here's the music nerd thread!

Let me start off by mentioning that these are not allowed..

"I was Haydn in the Bach which didn't have a Handel"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand....GO!

I'm playing a symphonic concert tonight...and then concert band..and then HOPEFULLY my wingman will get named Drum Major for next year, he really wants it.

Anyone else like it?

how about classical and heavy metal and on and on

I know here at Chez Mainson DeKenyon

we have very eclectic musical tastes.

I would be interested in learning What kinds of music everyone likes and listens to.

Right now as I finish preparing Beef Bourgione for dinner

I'm listening to Pink's Missundaztood album. the one with the studio version of her and Local legend Steve Tyler's duet of "misery". the sonfg is a total blues thing. OH yeah!

So good thread Idea KIng!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

GWS

Bassoon, Cello, String Bass, Electric Bass...

I didn't get a date till I picked up the last of those :D

I took 10 years of theory and never could get anything but frustration out of it...

But I'll tell you this - chicks in tight leather skirts will flock to the Bass player...even in a crappy garage band :biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

stick with music...it will change your life

Tuba for 6 years, trombone for 6 months.

BAnd Tuba or Concert Tuba? or do you play both.

Somewhere I read that band tuba players smoetimes have problems with concert tuba.

Is it the concert version is more sensitive? bigger range? I am just curious.

Maybe there is no difference and concert players just started a we are superior rumor!

GWS

Bassoon, Cello, String Bass, Electric Bass...

I didn't get a date till I picked up the last of those :D

I took 10 years of theory and never could get anything but frustration out of it...

But I'll tell you this - chicks in tight leather skirts will flock to the Bass player...even in a crappy garage band :biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

stick with music...it will change your life

I can tell you this teaching cello part time in the late sixties and early seventies the days of mini skirts and 75% of the cello students were female was real fun. LOL

Old joke :

only took up cello "cause most cellists are female and my Dean of music at URI convinced me that they were going to start making them out of Glass!

Enjoy.

this could be a real fun thread especially if jaking and branching out is allowed.

GWS

BAnd Tuba or Concert Tuba? or do you play both.

Somewhere I read that band tuba players smoetimes have problems with concert tuba.

Is it the concert version is more sensitive? bigger range? I am just curious.

Maybe there is no difference and concert players just started a we are superior rumor!

GWS

If by band tuba you mean sousaphone, like in marching bands, yes, along with regular concert tuba. I only play the sousaphone during football season in the "pep" band (my school is too small to have a marching band). The sousaphone is designed for the loudest, strongest sound, while the concert tuba is designed for having a "better" sound. I find that it is actually easier to play lower notes on the sousaphone, but other than that the range is about the same.

Band tuba players could have a problem with concert tuba since they focus on projecting their sound more than having a dynamic range, so when they play concert pieces, they can overpower the other instruments.

I wouldn't mind having a fiberglass bassoon for the marching environment. Taking the good 'ol 1950's Moenig outside is a bit...hairy.

That reminds me of one time when we were playing at a football game it started raining and the band director had all the woodwinds go in so their instruments wouldn't get messed up, but the brass and percussion had to stay outside in the pouring rain.:angryfire

I would be interested in learning What kinds of music everyone likes and listens to.

I do still listen to classical even though I hated it when I was had to listen to it. Kinda like being forced to eat spinach as a kid, then when you grow up you choose to eat it cause you like it. Here's a piece I played in the Dayton Phil Youth Orch., Smetena's "Die Mouldau". I was second violin, and this piece, the first violins have it a lot easier. All the runs that you hear while the first violins are playing their smooth slow mellody are being played by the woodwinds, second violins, violas, and cello.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlLPLO90fSk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlLPLO90fSk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Played all through junior high and high school; marching and stage band. Try playing a trumpet while marching in a thunderstorm while wearing white spats. Haven't picked up a horn since but, the experience gave me an everlasting love of music.

Got to see Maynard Ferguson in 1977 (yeah, I'm dating myself here).

Mark

All the best Bassoonists are playing titanial bassoons.:lol:

Enough..

That's almost as bad as "Ebonite" and "Maplenite" and my person favorite "Resonite"

My wingman DID get the Dumb Major (did I say that out loud) for next year.

I have a sinus infection, and bustin out these 20 measure drones on one breath (Thank the lord for some crazy lungs!) in a 83 BPM was like..Sticking a fork in my eye.

I didn't get one of those dorky trophies though! :mad:

Although, the directors speech would be

"Well, this guy is a royal pain in the ass, and his hair is distracting. Last year, he hardly showed up for any performances. He's been principal bassoonist for 3 years, and I've hated every one of them"

He WAS crying however..apparently, we were his most favorite group ever.

Just like last year. And the year before. And when my brother was in the program 6 and 7 years ago. :biggthump

I didn't get one of those dorky trophies though! :mad:

I have a dorky trophy! First in state for solo. And when they had the banquet for the music awards at the end of the year, I didn't get the "musician of the year" award, even though that year I had traveled to New York city and performed at Carnegie Hall with the Dayton Phil Youth Orch. and covered all the lack of talent in the pit during the musical "Fiddler on the Roof"... No, it went to the trumpeter who made the OSU marching band. "Go Bucks!!!!!":barf:

Trombone untill I had both my instruments stolen from me in one year, one by a fellow student when she split town, and one by campus security.:angryfire

Got to solo at a marching band competition at Giants Stadium. The kid who played F-horn that was supposed to do it chickened out at the last second and I leared the part in the parking lot right before we went on.:barf:

And of course, being a band geek, I know that the marching band bus to away games is the easiest place to score in highschool.:biggthump

Band chicks oh-so-horny!:eplus2:

I played coronet for a few years but then when I tried out for tuba the director put me on baritone. We were just a class d school, but in every year that I was in that band we got straight ones in both district and state band competition (except for one stupid judge, who gave us a 2... still ended up with a 1 overall though :D) I've got plenty of solo & ensemble medals, some 2s and some 1s. We've also been told many times that we had the best marching band in the area. I actually prefered playing the concert baritone while marching over the marching baritone because witht he concert horn I could hug it and lock my arms together to hold it up, but the marching horn you need to hold way up high and all that crap.

but anyway, I'm just rambling when I should be working, so I suppose I should get to that.

Oh, I could still play the chromatic on a baritone, but I haven't played it in close to 10 years. Now I play bass guitar (no band or anything) and fiddle around with the 6 string, mandolin, harmonica... and I guess any other instrument I can get my hands on.

Trumpet since 1986. Played in lots of things including the marching band at University of Wisconsin......That was a great gig, it even got me an all-expense paid trip to Tokyo for 2 weeks when UW played Mich State there in 1994. Road trips are great. Now all I do is play in alumni events and my lips and tone are shot. Started with the harmonica so I have something to noodle around on without pissing off then neighbors :rolleyes: Also, I rock the guitar in Guitar Hero :biggthump

I have a dorky trophy! First in state for solo. And when they had the banquet for the music awards at the end of the year, I didn't get the "musician of the year" award, even though that year I had traveled to New York city and performed at Carnegie Hall with the Dayton Phil Youth Orch. and covered all the lack of talent in the pit during the musical "Fiddler on the Roof"... No, it went to the trumpeter who made the OSU marching band. "Go Bucks!!!!!":barf:

I've actually got many dorky things, which only come out of hiding when I ask them to.

Oh lord..the piles of music too.. I've only been doing this sort of thing for 4 years..and I've got half a closet full..The other half holds all my instruments!

I wish I could find that durned picture of me holding my Alto Sax, Tenor Sax, TWO bassoons, an oboe, a Sopranino recorder, a Soprano recorder, and a Tenor recorder, a Fernandez Nomad electric guitar (coolest guitar ever made) A Washburn Bass, a flute, and I was sitting at the piano!

That pretty much also sums up all the instruments I've played. I'm going to make every attempt to forget the fact that I played floot.

Too easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 to count the notes they can actually play in tune 1 to conduct them while they play said fifteen notes.

and two to listen and turn the bulb 71/2 turns out new one 71/2 turns in.

total viola players to change a light bulb =

n +c + t = 18 = the notes viola players claim to be able to play in tune.:D

URI dean of Music uncle was viola player LOL:smashfrea

GWS