Note to New Members ×

Roadbike Component reviews?

D.T.

Looking for someplace that has decent roadbike component, specifically wheelsets, reviews. My ALX 280's are strong but bottom of the line. I'm considering upgrading but not having much luck finding decent reviews. Most of the reviews in the magazines are written by 140-170lbs riders. At 200+lbs, "I ain't no petite little flower."

I have tried roadbikereview.com, but they have limited reviews. Anyone got any good beta???

TIA

Get a hold of some F.I.R. hard anodized rims if you have a bad record with wheel problems due to your weight/riding habbits. I've seen Mavic ksyriums hold up well for some big fellows but Mavics are a bitch when they need to be trued. Last I knew (10 years ago) you could still get Cronos from Crono-Metro in Madison Wisconsin (they sold the design to Dia-Comp/Cane Creek). Those wheels are the **** when done right, not so hot built by Cane Creek.

What sort of riding are you doing? Spoke count doesnt make a lick of difference aero wise until 20+mph and is nowhere near as significant as tire shape at that. Also if your running more than 20 spokes/wheel there is no real difference between 21 and 36 spokes. Rotational weight for climbing is another story but when you drop the spoke count, the rim has to get heavier to be strong enough to bridge the gaps.

Just get a set of these and anything you lace up on them will work like magic!:biggthump

Marks004.jpg

Marks002.jpg

Marks006.jpg

Marks003.jpg

+1 to Gecko's suggestion of Sun Ringle. Always been impressed with their stuff. Also, having a wheelset built for you is a good way to get a wheel that does exactly what you want rather than what marketing trends in the industry are calling for. So again, what sort of riding do you do? How fast, what terrain, are you competeing, if yes is this a training or race day wheelset, how have wheels held up for you in the past, and what specificaly do you want to upgrade from the wheelset you're on now?

If it is a bulletproof set of wheels you are looking for and HEAVY isn't a problem, and don't take this wrong, but at 200 lbs the wheel weight wont make a difference (said the 140 lb little A-hole) this is the wheel for you. I have used the same set for training since 1990. I have thousands of New England miles (read pot hole hell) and not a wobble.

http://www.aerospoke.com/tech_info.php

Paul

harder and faster so your weight will drop below the 200+ mark! :)

After I return from FL we will need to start riding both road and MTB. I can't wait!

Back on topic, my Ksyrium Elites have been very good to me at my weight which is below yours. I needed some freehub work but it is all good now.

I agree with going to your shop and having a set built for you. They will treat you like BV does building a board for you and you will get a superior product.

Ink

Did I mention Intervals?

I am considering switching to a lighter weight wheel as long as they can withstand my weight and the crappy roads around here. There is no racing involved, riding is just a hobby. With the terrain around here, most of my rides hillclimbs/descents; not much time spent on the flats. Speeds average about 18mph, which translates to 9-10mph on climbs and 40-50mph on descents.

I am mainly curious if I can get a strong, lightweight, durable set of wheels without breaking the bank. My concern with having wheels built is the $$$. Right now my wheels are strong and durable, but on the heavier side (~1900g's).

The only shells I have really looked at so far are the Ultegra WH-6600-G's.

Gecko - thanks for the link. I'll add them to the mix.

DB - Definitely like the White Ind hubs! I was checking them out last season.

durace - not sure about the CF wheels. How is the ride? It seems to me like they would be stiff as he!!.

C5 - Ksyrium SL's look interesting; ~400g's lighter than my wheels. Have you had any issues?

Ride harder and faster so your weight will drop below the 200+ mark!:)

Hey smart guy... now that the knee is happy I am working out again. The weight is unchanged, but the clothing is looser in the middle and tighter in the arms/chest and legs. I need to change the diet. Goal #1 is 195 lbs, goal #2 is 190lbs.

I

C5 - Ksyrium SL's look interesting; ~400g's lighter than my wheels. Have you had any issues?

None-- I'd buy them again if I did another bike.. I use the Michelin Prorace2 25mm tires -- they mount easy by hand and plastic tools.. no fighting to get them over the rim or off the rim.

I have a Superstock Sun/Ringle 24" rear wheel on my DJ/Urban Trials bike that has been beaten and shows no wear at all

Good custom Wheelbuilders though not real common make even the most average components work amazingly well together...Earl Ball (who is really a rocket scientist), runs Blacksmith wheels in Sandy Ego, built me a MTB wheel using an on Avenir Duro 17 rim radial laced on a Deore High Flange hub...used parts I had...the wheel he built me has survived 3 bikes and lasted 13 years so far. I put it on my wife's bike when I switched to riding 24"ers but that doesn't mean it gets any less abuse than when I used it.

That's about what I weighed when I was your age...

I second what Ink and Gecko said about getting a custom set built up. I really like mavic rims, and though I am talking about mountain stuff, I think the durability holds across the board. The 519's on the Heckler were built by my local bike shop, years ago and they are still rollin' round and true, and we know that I definately aint no petite flower, though I still like to think of myself as one. I have also had good luck right around the corner from Bola at excel sports, They built another set of 519's for me back in aught 2 that are doing just fine on my hardtail. They had been on my Blur prior to me splodin' that frame, so they saw a fair amount of abuse. Check out Colorado cyclist down in the springs, since you are down there every day any way. I like Hugi and Chris King hubs, though the Kings might be a little heavy.

Rode the Heckler tonight, it was gooood.

lets ride

mario

ps I bunny hop @ 235lbs, I know how to abuse wheels, shocks, frames.....

I'm running these on my Record Super Six this year.

I'm not racing but I'll probably put 2-2500 k on this bike this year. Just built a sweet Scott Cyclocross bike with last year's Ksyrium ES's so it will get milage too along with all the other bikes.

I've had great success with Mavic wheels. Oh Yeah I'm 250 lbs. Not a great climber obviously.

If you want absolute bomber, 32 hole 3 cross Mavic Open Pros built to Record/Chorus or D/A hubs. Stay away from wheels that change (Spinergy etc) every year.

The new R-Sys are actually supposed to be stiffer and stronger than the Es's and Premiums.

My $0.02

k

Hey smart guy... now that the knee is happy I am working out again. The weight is unchanged, but the clothing is looser in the middle and tighter in the arms/chest and legs. I need to change the diet. Goal #1 is 195 lbs, goal #2 is 190lbs.

Great to hear the knee is feeling better!! I have only gotten a couple short rides in so far but want more. I get back from FL the 28th so we will need to get pedaling, you, me and Big. And anyone else who wants to join us. BTW, I like the goals.

I was out hiking BCRA today flagging new trail to be built this weekend. I love not being in the office.

Ink

D.T., Mario, I will be up there again in June, 23-27. I will only have a Bontrager hardtail at my disposal but would like to fit in a ride with you guys. This post sounds familiar, doesn't it??

Not sure if you guys are into the free riding stuff or just do some XC riding but I would be up for the XC riding if that is possible. I will spend some time at the Taylor River which is down by Gunnison for a few days, not sure what days those are at this time though. I will let you know asap.

Just keep us updated and we will get it figured out! We tend stick to general trail riding with some technical/rolling trials do that section over till you make it or strike out goof off type riding. Sometimes there is blood, mostly mine.

mario

...would like to fit in a ride with you guys.

As Mario said, ABSOLUTELY!

Shelly has a small Cannondale Rush that you could ride as long as you (6'+) could fit the same geometry as a 5'2" woman. :D

The Bontrager would do just fine. We do more technical stuff, which you could do on the hardtail, than distance pounding. This would allow you to catch your breath more often since you are not used to the altitude.

And as Mario said, there will be plenty of laughs to be had. I am sure that Inkaholic will be joining us!

As Mario said, ABSOLUTELY!

Shelly has a small Cannondale Rush that you could ride as long as you (6'+) could fit the same geometry as a 5'2" woman. :D

Dustin, thanks for the offer on the Cdale, I will make sure I bring my 2 foot long seatpost with me!! The drop between the saddle height and handlebars might be a bit excessive though. Can you say "over the bars?"

If the Bonti would do I will make sure I bring some bike shoes with me, looking forward to joining you guys on another adventure. Can you guarantee me some warmer temps from the last time I was there?? Maybe a bit less altitude would do wonders for me also!!

so not sure how you would feel if a female tagged along at some point on a MTB ride or is this a guys only thing?
anytime
DT does Shelly MTB?

a little bit, she mostly road rides, but is beginning to see the advantage of shorter rides that make your heart feel like it's about to explode

I will make sure I bring my 2 foot long seatpost with me!! The drop between the saddle height and handlebars might be a bit excessive though. Can you say "over the bars?"

a couple 2x4's, some duct tape and bailing wire and we could have you set :biggthump