Note to New Members ×

Dual Sport-Here's your chane to enlighten me!

RDY_2_Carve

Ok guys and gals I'm new to the dirt bike thing. I'm looking for a dual purpose bike as I have no truck, van, or trailer to haul it around with. I'm a huge honda fan (whole garage is Honda/Acura) but outside of the massive 650 they don't have much to offer? I'm going to be honest I haven't even looked yet at KTM, Triumph, or team green. So far I've checked out Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha. Based on my current research I would purchase the all new

, but perhaps you can sway me...

So here's your chance to put in your $0.02 based on your real world experience, etc.

New Mexico has very similiar terrain to Colorado, Utah, and Arizona for obvious reasons. There are a ton of off road trails here and I've been a fool for not taking advantage of them.

Oh yeah I'm 5'6", a buck seventy five, and I have a 30" inseam.

I want my dual purpose bike to be more dirt than street because I already have a street bike. I've been riding street for 10 years and I bought my current bike new in 2005 (CBR 1000RR). I have limited experience on the dirt but I have rode a handful of times including a day on a real deal supercross track a few years back. That day ended with me superman'ing over the bars in the woops. :P

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

don't believe the hype on the triumph scrambler - no matter what they say it's not a dual-purpose.

(I have a bonneville - same engine. you'll spend more time fixing than riding if you bang it around.)

KTM 990 adventure would be my bike of choice if I was heading for the wilderness...

KLR 650 is pretty bulletproof from my understanding (My brother rides the crap out of his in the west texas deserts)

edit: TT is correct - these are not high performance big jumps sliding the corners bikes by any means... but based on what you're riding on the street I assumed you'd be looking for a more substantial bike over a motorcross with lights...

when I ride dirt I'm happiest on a two stroke 250, either a CR or a YZ, been on a couple of the four stroke yamahas and if I wanted to do a dual sport that was fully capable in the dirt I'd get the wr or four stroke YZ, there's a few flavors but I generally like smaller bikes that are well tuned than trying to haul around something that feels like a harley with dirt tires. I say keep it under 500 cc

I'm a honda fan first and foremost but I've not been on anything that's got the blend of power and the nimble feel that the WRs had, I've not even been on a bike in awhile. so there could be a entire line of hondas I don't know about or something.

when I ride dirt I'm happiest on a two stroke 250, either a CR or a YZ, been on a couple of the four stroke yamahas and if I wanted to do a dual sport that was fully capable in the dirt I'd get the wr or four stroke YZ, there's a few flavors but I generally like smaller bikes that are well tuned than trying to haul around something that feels like a harley with dirt tires. I say keep it under 500 cc

I'm a honda fan first and foremost but I've not been on anything that's got the blend of power and the nimble feel that the WRs had, I've not even been on a bike in awhile. so there could be a entire line of hondas I don't know about or something.

here is a honda option for you bob.

www.zeromotorcycles.com

I just trailrode for 4 hours on a single charge.

TONS of power, hand brakes, so easy to operate and no stalling. An absolute trail weapon.

20 hours on it and all I've had to do is re-tension the chain. ****ing bulletproof.

With you build, it could be the perfect size, too.

is that street legal in all states?

Their website says that it may be, according to local laws.

It has a half power switch that reduces it to a range where it may be considered a moped, so you wouldn't need a lisence either.

I don't have it plated as I want to keep it as low key as possible.

If you want a true off-road dual sport, the best way to go is to title a dirt bike, that way you get the bike you want (it needs to be an off road bike not an MX bike). There are alot of companies that sell kits to do it to almost all of the off-road offerings. THIS IS IF IT IS POSSIBLE IN YOUR STATE, in some, it is not.

If you cannot title a dirt bike. I would only look at the KTM EXC's either the 450 or 530 (they are plated right out of the dealer), depending on what you really want to do with it.

The other is Beta, they use KTM motors and there own frame. They have a different character than KTM's.

KTM is really the leader when it comes to off road, they have been doing it longest and really make a great product.

THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE MX BIKES. I like others for MX.

PM if you want to talk.

aggressive woods single track riding/racing occasional MX day - WR 250F, CRF 250, MXC 250F, 450's are getting boarderline too big/powerful for most riders in tight woods

aggressive desert riding/racing, woods riding, occasional MX day- WR450F, CRF 450, MXC 450, KLX 450, built XR 650,

Play riding woods/desert - DRZ 400/KLR 400, WR 450F, CRF 450, EXC 450, XR 650/600, TTR 250 etc.

Ride everything put away wet - XR 650/XR 400 TTR 250

Ride everything put away toweled off - WR450F KLX 450

Ride everything put away dry and clean - 250F

Ride street and dirt roads - XR-L 650R, KLR 650

Japanese is your best bet for reliability and parts availability/running cost for general riding. The european bikes generally have more expensive and harder to find parts. If you buy used the newer you get the fewer problems you will have. They all break

My bias is towards Yamaha because I have owned, raced and wrenched on them. All of the big 5 manufacturers make good machines, but all have their quirks as to what is going to break or need attention. From your description I think that a 450 would suit you best depending on your aggressiveness or riding intention. I believe that a 450 would be less maintenance than a 250F and offer greater versatility. The down side is the added height and weight. If you think there will be a 10-20% chance of pavement riding I would lean even harder towards a 450. The type of trails is what would sway me back to a 250F from there.

Good Luck

650 is big, been on big bikes like that and I'm not a fan.

nice bikes though

Metz swears by his 4 stroke 450 these days :eplus2:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/19july02honda2003mx.html

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTIeSi2BP8U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTIeSi2BP8U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

40 miles, pinned wide open would run the battery out.

For the slower speed of trail riding, especially woodsy singletrack, the time on the bike can be longer than you can hold on for.

4 hours in the saddle had me pretty tired out.

You did ask about a streetable bike, so I would imagine that "pinned wide open for awhile" would be important. I strictly ride trails on mine.

It's gotta be streetable. I have no means to get it to the dirt other than riding it.

I'll have to look into NM laws but I felt like converting a dirt bike to be street legal wouldn't be worth the effort in the long end as far as money goes. Sure the performance won't be as good but...

I just went to sit on the WR250R and it's very tall for a dual sport. Sits as high as most dirt/MX. I'm on my tippy toes but at least I can reach the ground for stoplights/stopsigns. Boy did it feel comfy being upright (compared to my 1000RR). Dude promised me a test drive if I'm ready to buy-typical of any bike sales shop. Perhaps the only thing I didn't like is the radiator and plastic surrounding it on the right side. If the bike goes down that's the first thing that's going to hit and I'm sure the plastic would snap depending on what surface it goes down on. Call me paranoid but I'm sure I'm going to drop this thing eventually...

Thanks for the replies thus far. I'm surprised LeeW hasn't chimed in as I know he rides dirt. Since he's a NM native I look forward to his feedback.

It's gotta be streetable. I have no means to get it to the dirt other than riding it.

I'll have to look into NM laws but I felt like converting a dirt bike to be street legal wouldn't be worth the effort in the long end as far as money goes. Sure the performance won't be as good but...

I just went to sit on the WR250R and it's very tall for a dual sport. Sits as high as most dirt/MX. I'm on my tippy toes but at least I can reach the ground for stoplights/stopsigns. Boy did it feel comfy being upright (compared to my 1000RR). Dude promised me a test drive if I'm ready to buy-typical of any bike sales shop. Perhaps the only thing I didn't like is the radiator and plastic surrounding it on the right side. If the bike goes down that's the first thing that's going to hit and I'm sure the plastic would snap depending on what surface it goes down on. Call me paranoid but I'm sure I'm going to drop this thing eventually...

Thanks for the replies thus far. I'm surprised LeeW hasn't chimed in as I know he rides dirt. Since he's a NM native I look forward to his feedback.

I forgot to add. The WR250 is a great bike. Very good handling The motor is a little blah stock but with some free mods it opens up nicely.....

All enduros are going to be as tall as the MX bikes. They are pretty much brothers..... Most of them can be lower easily.

As far as the radiators go. Get some good guards and don't worry about the plastic, it is pretty tough as long as it isn't 32 degress.

Bumper of what? My wife's Accord or my RSX? :eplus2:

just sayin'.....if you can rig up a trailer hitch, a 3 rail trailer is no biggie,just connect a wiring harness. I've seen bikes hauled behind some lil jitneys.

http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/motorcycle-trailer.htm

tried that link, MUD. http://www.thumpertalk.com/

tried that link, MUD. http://www.thumpertalk.com/

Thanks Willy, I don't know how I screwed it up.........

The problem with this thread is asking about dual-sports is kind of like asking for a good dark beer...... LOTS to choose from, and your idea of a dual sport can be night and day different from another persons.

My both of my KTM's are plated (it is easy in MN) and the only time they hit the road is during six days of Michigan. Longest stretch of road between trail heads there is about 10 miles. Neither of these are are very pleasant to ride on the road, down right scary over 45 on pavement actually, they drift all over the place with the big knobbies (non-DOT tires).