Note to New Members ×

Ain't No Cure for the Summertime Blues... ?

boarderboy

I'm gonna raise a fuss, I'm gonna raise a holler

About a workin' all summer just to try to earn a dollar

Every time I call my baby, and ask to get a date

My boss says, "No dice son, you gotta work late"

Sometimes I wonder what I'm a gonna do

But there ain't no cure for the summertime blues

Ahh..stop mentioning songs.

Now you've got Blue Cheer stuck in my head.

Nothing like arguable super early heavy metal.

Thanks....it's been a lot of years since I've surfed Blacks and in truth of all the waves I've surfed Blacks is the one I miss the most. Blacks has such a Hawaiian wave shape, not to mention the fact that southpeak's left is the only left I've every been able to surf consistantly

I love that break - probably my best waves ever and definitely my worst.

Dropped into the biggest wave of my life there and scared the crap out of myself. Almost quit surfing after taking 3 12+footers to the head when I fell in the impact zone.

But one barrel on a glassy day and you forget all the punishment.

God, I miss surfing.

I love that break - probably my best waves ever and definitely my worst.

Dropped into the biggest wave of my life there and scared the crap out of myself. Almost quit surfing after taking 3 12+footers to the head when I fell in the impact zone.

But one barrel on a glassy day and you forget all the punishment.

God, I miss surfing.

I never got drilled there which is more due to dumb luck than any skill of mine. I took a few south rights that by all rights I should have ended up as sandpaper. All time though...I remember being out on a glassey overcast/foggy day with 10-12 footers that you couldn't see coming...I got outside for the 3rd wave of a set that closed out the line up and destroyed 5-6 boards...the most terrifying backhand drop I have ever...making my bottom turn and looking back up this huge face with a 4 foot thick solid lip looming and knowing that I had to make a top turn to get to a shoulder. It will always stand out as "my best wave" ever. I miss surfing but the water here is too cold and the waves don't compare to Hawaii or even Blacks(yes I admit that I got spoilled while I was there) I really can't imagine paddling out anyplace else.

my worst waves ever most definitely Makapuu....

It's not as nice as they make it out to be, especially now.

Lots of cooks sitting in the water getting tossed and around and getting in the way.

It's a cure for the winter blues if you want a decent day of surfing, but not much else.

Same thing way back when but....early in the morning it's usually empty (I have walked down the cliff for a sunrise surf many times) or when it gets big and spooky kooks usually end up on the beach or in the rip

my single Hawaiian "surfing" experience during a too-brief Navy stopover. "Bodysurfing" Makapuu - dodging the Paipos, the lava, and the very coarse sand...

When we left, had to break the locked rental's window to get to the ignition switch, which held the keys, which...

Same thing way back when but....early in the morning it's usually empty (I have walked down the cliff for a sunrise surf many times) or when it gets big and spooky kooks usually end up on the beach or in the rip

Haha..cooks..

My standards of kookieness have probably changed.

My surfboard is all damaged in the back, and I don't feel like fixing it. Haven't surfed for a while as well. Nothing worse than riding over some naked hippy though. Boarderboy- I actually like body surfing a lot better than board surfing. How's a snowboard do in the surf?

Haha..cooks..

My standards of kookieness have probably changed.

My surfboard is all damaged in the back, and I don't feel like fixing it. Haven't surfed for a while as well. Nothing worse than riding over some naked hippy though. Boarderboy- I actually like body surfing a lot better than board surfing. How's a snowboard do in the surf?

Kook ! where's my HASSENPFEFFER?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4YYRhykxTs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4YYRhykxTs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I hear that kitesurfin' is a good cure for old guys that despise paddling and getting pummeled in the impact zone.

I usually aim at the lil heads of body surfers and spongies.

Surfers, on the other hand,I give much respect to....unless they're acting like Cooks in the line up. Then I'll throw em a nice big rooster tail.

Order UP !

Not sure about those steel edges in the brine, and flotation may be suspect, but it is an Asym. Since I'm told it can't possibly perform well in the fluff (my experience notwithstanding), maybe a go in the surf is the answer. I'll let you know and post pics, KC...

Willy - I've ridden spongies for many years now. Maybe if I succeed in building

a soft version of R Stewart's 13' 9" Dragonboard, I might safely ride in the same break with you..... ?!

Mahalo

I usually aim at the lil heads of body surfers and spongies.

If you're a fatass like me, you get as much flotation as a pow stick.

Next, body carving in snow.

Maybe after, body longboarding.

Boarderboy- Just give the edges a coat of WD-40. It WAS invented down here, and it DOES displace water, you know. Maybe some pontoons or something? I want to see a snowboard in some surf now...Maybe I'll swipe my brother's board and give it a try, it's pretty wide and long.