Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood this summer

SEJ

Currently snowing at Timberline with a 236" base at the lodge and 732" to date since Sptember 1st.

I don't think we're gonna run out anytime soon. The only bummer is that I'm currently swamped with work and won't be able to get up to the hill until next week:(

It will be super this year, Biggest snowpack in 10+ years.... T-line will quick asse until the kids come for summer camps .... It will a good year for a father day session and even on the 4th of july . I am planning some carve n sail days in May .... Ride tline till noon then windsurf the gorge after lunch.

Jim

Jim and Lee are right that the mountain kicks ass the most before the camps start. (Which happens in June.) Once the camps start up, the public can be limited to a couple of narrow lanes.

Usually when you go there in the summer, you only get the Palmer chair, and about 80% of that is reserved for ski/board camps. See trail map: http://www.timberlinelodge.com/ski_ride/trail_map.php

This year, there's so much snow on the mountain that they'll be able to run Magic Mile pretty far into the summer, which will help a lot. Does anyone have any info on how late MM might run in a year like this one?

The ski camp kids tend to be great racers and lousy citizens -- prepare to get your tails skied over in the lift lines if you're on Palmer once the camps start.

I love Hood in the summer! Usually open 7am to 1pm. Camps take up much of the space in the summer and can cause some lift lines. Run is steep and icy in the morning so I usually think in terms of 9:30 to 1. I guess this would not make a full day for the other thread. Anyway, when conditions are good it can be really fun. Steep, even, glacier. Surrounded by excellent skiers and sometimes pro level alpine riders.

After skiing there is hiking or hanging out at beautiful Timberline Lodge. Hoodriver is about an hour away with great kite boarding and windsurfing. After all that the Full Sail brewery....

I have been there many sunny days and am always amazed to think I am about the only person in North America actualy riding an alpine board in late July or August....

So, how is the summer riding at Mt. Hood. Is it worth the trip? What are the conditions like?

Scott, check out this thread. Al seems to like it :1luvu:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?p=195078#post195078

There are galleries of photos of Timberline at all different times of the years. Check my websites under "Ski Areas".

If you look at all the photos , you will feel like you have already been there when you arrive!!

Bryan

WOW! This is looking pretty cool. Thanks for all the info. Think I'll see if I can get a couple days off in early May. When I was looking at going to OES I think I was told it's about an 8 hour drive from the bay area.