Note to New Members ×

Whistler Expression Session 2008, mini WES

BlueB

Ola Guys,

Just home ( for <24hrs ) from whistler after a 3 day riding, 2 nighter,

First off Cypress/Grouse guys its cold in the AM compared to what we are used to, so dress accordingly, its felt like minus 8c the past few days at 0835.

Potential for fresh if precip hits Vancouver ,

If no new expect some hero cord , the grooming was awsome this AM, cold n fast warmed to about minus 3c by 1330 in the alpine, getting above zero from midstation down, board up accordingly.

Rocks minimal from mid station up except for skiers left of upper franz's, a few little scrapy patches coming thru.

Not sure what to pack? I know all you guys have 4x4s, that is the safest bet if not in the mood for boardswapping.

Village busy, hills very quiet ( although mid week) and that is applying to whistler and blackcomb sides. I laughed when I over heard a few of the locals squacking about "ice", if Dave* can set an edge it aint ice. Last sunday was the first melt freeze cycle those spoilt whistlerites have had all season.!!

Remember folks they actually start loading at 0815hrs ( website says 0830hr , it lies) and it takes approx 25 min+- to get to roundhouse either from village or from the creekside, get there early and save some time .

Demo tent city will be up outside roundhouse Fri/Sat/Sun

Dave* will be heading back up early friday morning for another 3 day session of riding and truck camping. My travel quiver will consist of a 179 4x4, a 171 ATV, and the 177 Fat Jack.

Dave* out

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if Chris n Deaner front me some coin the truck could become the official

"Prior R & D Test Vehicle", hell I might even wash it.

Until then I will continue to play the field with some other makes , now if only Bruce V or Sean M would swing me the sweet deals.......

Now where should I put my ride review of that Dupraz,

I could ride with you on Thursday. Let me know if you're interested in taking some runs together.

Cypress Crew: What board should I bring - 174 Prior 4WD or 175 Coiler Freecarve? I prefer riding the Coiler but I'm worried about soft conditions.

MCL's still off and I couldn't bring my 4wd. On softies riding easy. Anyway, apartment's number is 604 932 6545 (I'm JSL). Maybe Sunday though, want to be able to ride on Friday for some demo rides.

If you want to ride something that you couldn't rent at a shop, I can bring a rossi 190 WCR for you to ride if you want.

Dave, are you going to bring one of the Burners? I would certainly like to have few laps on it, if you were up to truying the Virus or big Prior, depending what I've decided to bring.

Yes one burner and one factory prime team board is coming. You are welcome to try whatever you like. I think we both ride goofy. My burton fires are 27's. We might get lucky and have the same sole length. I wouldn't mind trying what you bring, but no need to bring all your decks or anything.

later,

Dave R.

Yes one burner and one factory prime team board is coming. You are welcome to try whatever you like. I think we both ride goofy. My burton fires are 27's. We might get lucky and have the same sole length. I wouldn't mind trying what you bring, but no need to bring all your decks or anything.

later,

Dave R.

hi mr_robot-eye

i always wanted to compare a burton team fp 185 (i assume yours is a 185 since every team issue i've ever seen in the whistler area seems to be a 185) to a prior since they were supposed to have been made by the same guy. i have 2 wcr 185's, one has a 18.0 cm waist and the other has a 19.5 cm waist. which one would be more similar in waist dimension to your fp team? i wanted to make the comparison as "apples to apples" as possible so let me know which waist size to bring. btw i'll throw my size 27 fires in my car just in case of a boot compatibility issue. unfortunately, i am regular footed so it may just be a visual comparison if there isn't enough time to point the bindings in the other direction.

i'm going to start the day on my silberfeil 172 and hopefully get some early morning spring ice to test it on. you may try either of my boards if you wish--though you may have to fight boris for the silberfeil.

later

doug

Yes you're welcome to try it if you like. I assume you have your own setup with burton raceplates the way you like them. I ride a flat front and use the 7 degree cant in the rear. See you up there.

Dave R.

hi Dave R.

at least one of us is thinking and being proactive.

okay i'll mount the prior wcr 185 with a 4hole 7 degree cant in the back and mount burton rental-style "one screw" adjustment bindings on them so you can dial in as fast as possible.

currently the front binding is a catek wc 1p with the toes lifted (and heavily locktited) while the back binding is a td1 (i can't adjust the td1 for lift only so i only use them for canted back bindings! the td1 rear definitely needs to be swapped to avoid a dual cant & binding adjustment but i'll throw the catek front binding in my car in case you want to try it out. just remember that if you adjust it flat you adjust it back to the lift position for me and skin YOUR knuckles tightening them back up! you will have to be well rested to drive the wcr 185 with a non-metal binding on the front foot--you've been warned.

Ok, guys, just checked the forecast.

It seems that we'll definitelly have top carving conditions. It calls for only 1cm fresh on Saturday with slight chances for fluries on Sunday. Freezeng levels will remain low and cold.

Tenorman,

I was just thinking it would be easier if we both just put our own bindings on each others boards. I can mount my race plates in about five minutes.

Were you planning on putting td1's on my team board?

later,

Dave R.

hi Dave R.

agreed.

i don't want to risk pulling out an insert with the td1's so i'll just mount my burton race plates on your team issue fp.

for your amusement, i'll throw some old f2's and tridents in my car for you in case you want to try them--both are great with burton boards and i think an improvement over the burton raceplates (f2's flex more uniformly while the tridents are all metal but not crazy stiff like bombers or cateks.) also the tridents can be retrofited with skateboard bushings in varying durometers for a truly customized suspension system. i got a td2 suspension system on backorder but i have a feeling it won't be much of an improvement over my ghetto skateboard bushing suspension system lol.

A last minute decision, I'm going to be there Saturday and Sunday. I'll be on Whistler both days, unless some of you want to go to Blackcomb. Look for the guy stopping often and breathing heavily. On this man's feet will be either a : skinny, red FP 185, a yellow rossi WCR 184, or a purple burner 188.

see you up there,

Dave R.

If your edges are not sharp I highly recommend you have them in tip top shape if you're coming to Whistler tomorrow. (Sun)

Today was great. Enjoyed a day riding with Dave*. It was just like old times.

I demoed a prior WCR 183 metal. It was very, very nice. Heelsides become a lot easier on that board.

See you all tomorrow,

Dave R.

Sorry I did not make the meet up. I crashed hard on Saturday on a demo Prior WCR. I folded the nose when I dove into a turn and landed on my head. Woozy and a bit of a headache.

I didn't get out until 10AM on Sunday. I looked for hardbooters but didn't see anyone.

Despite the crash, I had a great few days. Hard to believe it was -18 at the peak yesterday. Those snow conditions were tricky.

BTW Dave, I demoed a Dupraz and thought it was a great ride but not that different than a big freeride board. I guess it would've been much better on a powder day. I'd be interested in reading your review.

Hope you feel better soon skate. I had a great time meeting everybody.

Blue-b(the EURO), tenorman, carvingscooby(the mexican), and crucible. It was great riding with Dave* as well.

Thanks to tenorman for setting up his Prior 185 for me to ride.

I think he liked the burton 185 team board as well.

Boris started to act weird and talk to people that weren't actually there. He was apparently able to be in two places simultaneously as well. This happened after he rode my 188 burner. Something about extreme velocity causing time displacement? whatever.

Had a great time,

later,

Dave R.

Ha, I typed this few hours ago and somehow didn't post... It must be still the effects of the Burner ride ;)

Skategoat, I'm glad you feel a bit better. Bummer we didn't get to ride together... Next year...

Dave R, you seem to have permanent Burner brain - Crucible (George) wasn't there at all, you are thinking of Ruwi.

Thanks for letting me ride the beast!

Conditions:

We were welcomed by blue skies instead of forcasted cloud cover. Cord was super compact, but still of the type where you could set the edge. It remained very cold right through the day so the runs didn't bum up at all. Crowds were not to big either (for the weekend). Base run was the Green Giant, where we always came back after exploring the other parts of the mountain. With the board storage, Roundhouse lodge and all the demo tents, on top, it made perfect base point.

Rides:

We all brought 2 or more boards and Prior had a demo day, so besides my Vampire I got to ride Burner 188, Silberpheil 172 and Prior WCR 183 metal 2008 shape.

Burner

Just an insane ride! Basically I laughed manically, top to botom, on every run I took. Beast rails like a freight train due to its size and stiffness and is imensly stable. First run I took, I fought it a bit, trying to load the nose, shift weight etc. Eventually I figured out it was the best to just roll it on the edge and ride with it (tip and rip if you wish). It actually rides a bit tighter an d easier then you would expect from a 17m scr. I kinda understand now all the myth and hype about these boards... I wouldn't mind having one, however, I don't know where I would ride it at Cypress.

Prior Metal

Is just super easy and smooth to ride. Out of the 2 available I picked one with softer flex and 2008 shape. That's still a metal top sheet - the 2009s will have solid topsheets like Coilers, but more in another tread...

Initiation is effortless on Prior, probably due to softness and slightly decambered nose profile. It felt even softer then Vampire. However the edge hold is impecable. Soft nose just flops over the irregularities in the snow and re-engages right away. I found somewhat lesser ability of variable arc shape then on the Virus.

Silberpheil 172

Fun little board! It held it's own in the company of big metal race sticks. Edge hold is on par with Virus and Prior. It's somewhat stiffer. Energy out of the turn is great when you want it. Stable at speed when you open it up a bit. With tighter radius, it's on its best in medium railed turns. However, it's easy to get it into explosive SL turns. Effects of "split tail" titanal fork construction? Who knows...

Mountain encounters:

Dave* and I hooked up with Chris Prior for few runs. CP had a bit of over hang (read in reverse) from last night, but was still impossible to keep up with. Smooth as always...

Dough (tenorman) had a less plesant encounter - a skier run into him. No one injured, but the impact was strong enouh for rear binding screws to pull out of the inserts (stripped)! No fun finishing the steep pitch :(

Quiver building:

Roy (skooby) got a great deal on a classic WCR 175 from Fanaticos demo fleet. He also got som esuper cheap older Head GS carving skis. You are in trouble now Bro - you'll have to learn to ski :D

I believe that Dave* added another super stiff WCR metal to his collection. From what I hear, he'll have to pack few pounds more to flex that bad boy. Or we'll just mount it with tandem bindings ;)

I found a 10$ pair of trashy Salomon skis (basically throw away), that I bought for mint condition Hangl plates still mounted to them. Drilled just once - what a find! I also added another NOS Hooger to my collection - it will be a wall hanger. Very glad to have a duplicate of my very 1st carving board.

With all the gear stuffed in and on top, the car looked like travelling circus on the way back to Van.

Season end:

Whistler side is closed now. Blackcomb will carry on for another month or so, before switching into glacier only mode.

After such a great day as yesterday, we could just as well call it the season.

Thanks everyone!

I am glad to see everyone had a good time on sunday.

Gtanner- yup I took a few pics, however my pitiful camera skill combined with an excited crew did not make for great shots, picture taking on the hill is much like herding frightened cats, it aint easy, will have to sit down when more time and edit and shrink a few for posting, maybe in a few days.

S.Goat- I put my review of the Dupraz over in the Cypress thread, I have pretty much stopped posting in the general forums, local only for me, my flame proof underwear is over in the drycleaners, I would be curious to see how your impression of the Dupraz stacked up with mine.

Gear destruction- three days of hero groom have toasted another set of pants , another set wafer thin on the left hip. No rock dingers on the board,,, yippee!

Riding styles-Cool to see the various styles everyone has developed and is currently developing, we had everything from old school race to full on euros going on ( I have no idea about my own style , lets call it ,,,,,, Mountain Gorrilla ), the chair lift people seemed to enjoy the show , not sure if anyone but me noticed the heads snapping around when the crew went by.

Most improved rider- my vote goes to goes to Roy, I dont think I can lose Roy on the hard pack anymore, Congrats buddy, you are doing in two years what took me about ten to do. Los Cholo es muy andale'.

Gear testing- rode the old Fatjack all day sunday " and one board shall rule them all" , (amazingly I did not have to inflict swift and blinding violence in the lift lines for people tromping on it) .... I did try the 178 Spearhead on friday, I am torn as to what I would prefer for my preferred aboreal powdery habitat of the silverback lowland mountain gorrlla, Spearhead vs Dupraz??

Mountain encounters- does having a fist fight with a horny grouse on friday count? Second time in three years.

Gear acquisitions- yup that new Prior Proto is going to be a handful, am looking at the binder selection and stomp pad selection as we speak, will hopefully test it out on friday or saturday , I will give a bit of a review over in the Cypress thread if I survive the encounter!, .... I would like to thank Chris Prior for hooking a brother up as well as he did , a very class act indeed!

I guess my truck really is becoming the "Prior R & D test Vehicle"

This may impact the old dupraz/spearhead decision.

"Spring" truck camping- I would like to thank Asolo ,the makers of my minus 20C rated sleeping bag, and my fine layer of winter blubber for keeping me nice and toasty down to an honest minus 15 celcius , word of advice take spare boot liners, almost gassed my self warming them up under the trucks heater in the morning. We shall paraphrase Robert Duvall from Apocalypse Now " I love the smell of season end boot liners in the morning....... It smells like .. Napalm"

188 Burner - I too was laughing my A## off following Boris the first few hundred meters, it looked like he was trying to furl out a spinnaker while reefing in the mizzen mast and yanking on the yardarm simultaneously, he got it dialled pretty quick, better than I can say for myself when I owned that damned thing.

Season End- hell no , Dave* is going to flog this season right to june 08 2008, can you say " hello springboard" " hello 100 days".

100 days... 100 days! Ya carving bastard- now I'm really getting green with envy.

It's bad enough you have enough Priors to have a complete company demo fleet when you roll into a ski hill parking lot, but 100 days! damn...

It's true then what they say,"At both ends of the economic spectrum there lies a leisure class".

geo