Note to New Members ×

Dupraz Advice

boarderboy

Looking, long-term, for a single-quiver Ice Coast board for mellow hard-booting.

Prefer the possibility of easy powder riding if the opportunity arises but most often will be used on Southeast's narrow-trail groom, hardpack, and ice. Height 6', weight 220, boot size 11-12.5 depending on last. Ride, at most, maybe 10 days/season.

Currently ride AT boots for soft, low-cuff, easy-walking performance on a 164 Alp with an occasional go on an E deck.

"Easy-on-the-knees and ankles" riding is what I'm looking for. Is Dupraz technique readily learned?

Thanks for any observations.

I demoed one with plates. It was the first time I had riden with plates off piste in trees. Didn't have a problem with it at all. Was able to bust through chopped up crud on steeper slopes and manuver through trees on single blacks. It is plenty wide but carves well too. I didn't get to ride it in any powder but I have heard that it is great in it. It was a little weird feeling the 1st 2 runs but it didn't take long to get used to. I would say that you should go for it and you will be very happy. For your weight and size I would go with the 6' D1 +. You might also consider something like an ATV or 4x4 too.

Prefer the possibility of easy powder riding if the opportunity arises but most often will be used on Southeast's narrow-trail groom, hardpack, and ice. Height 6', weight 220, boot size 11-12.5 depending on last. Ride, at most, maybe 10 days/season.

Currently ride AT boots for soft, low-cuff, easy-walking performance on a 164 Alp with an occasional go on an E deck.

"Easy-on-the-knees and ankles" riding is what I'm looking for. Is Dupraz technique readily learned?

Thanks for any observations.

I've got a Dupraz 5'5". Best board I've ever ridden for powder and bumps. It also carved very well on soft groom.

I then tried it on very firm hard pack (almost icy) and hated it! The board felt fat (slow transitions), and it was very difficult to hold an edge. I mostly skidded on the Dupraz on those conditions.

I rode the Dupraz in all conditions with hardboots and plates.

If you're mostly going to ride hardpack and ice, get a Madd alpine board or metal board of your choice.

Can not comment on the Dupraz, would love to try one though,

+1 on Bobs sugestion of the 4x4, for your size and weight go 179cms , the 10.5ish scr should handle any tight trails and trees, you might find the 21.5 waist a bit narrow for 27-28 m AT boots depending on prefferred angles, other than that great board I own two 179s , oh yeah get the quad glass or the titanal "blackjack" version if durablility is not a concern.

so

+1 on Newcarvers suggestion of the Prior ATV with one caveat, get it built specifically for you on the stock 171 dimensions but get it stiffened about 20% over stock , that is what I did and I am about your size in both feet and weight, in fact 90 minutes ago was poking around in knee deep freshie with no probs whatsoever ( ATV has much more powder friendly nose shape than 4x4) , the board also carves like a demon and would handle the AT boot width.

or

Prior 177 "fatjack", 23 cm waisted titanal built off the 177WCR core that was widened, same nose /tail/ and 11.9 scr, if this thing had a more ATV style nose it would be a true quiver killer, With the WCR nose and stiffness she dont get up on plane quite as well as I would like in the deep stuff , but holy %^&* on everything from ice to 15cms or less of powder this thing is a rocket. Would also handle AT boot angles.

There you go my two cents

Dave*

If you are on the factory tune, I am not surprised with your experience. Edge tune to 1 or 2 degrees and you will experience incredible edge hold. My experience on sun-baked wind-crusted ice that looks like powder has been very positive on the D1 6' and I can only image it being better on the 5'5". I do not ride ice anymore but my edges are at least one degree just for those occasional days.

Bola

http://www.allboardssports.com

1-303-415-1600

Bola, I haven't touched the edges ever since I bought it from YOU in Feb:biggthump

After the board gets more beat up and I send it to a shop for a tune, I'll try the 1 or 2 degree bevel.

By the way, great customer service from Bola.

Looking, long-term, for a single-quiver Ice Coast board for mellow hard-booting.

another +1 on Bob's recommendation of a 4x4 or the Coiler AM.

If its in your price point I would certainly recommend a metal version of either board. The Coiler AM-T would dampen out hardpack and ice and keep a solid edge. Never ridden a metal 4x4, but the glass version is extremely fun and a very easy board to turn and maneuver.

I demoed one with plates. It was the first time I had riden with plates off piste in trees. Didn't have a problem with it at all. Was able to bust through chopped up crud on steeper slopes and manuver through trees on single blacks. It is plenty wide but carves well too. I didn't get to ride it in any powder but I have heard that it is great in it. It was a little weird feeling the 1st 2 runs but it didn't take long to get used to. I would say that you should go for it and you will be very happy. For your weight and size I would go with the 6' D1 +. You might also consider something like an ATV or 4x4 too.

well, thats what I was going to say. Well said.

for the detailed replies. Really appreciate it.

I'm going to try to save this string as a keeper pdf for late summer use. From the range of comments, sounds like I should try to demo a D board "out west" before I leap to a used D-Board.

Mahalo

That's what got me started on this. Went to the Dupraz site, liked what I read, and was intrigued by the deck similarities with the first board I ever demo'd, and later bought - the Burton Elite 150 - convex base, removable "skeg" and all!

I think some of the second-generation WinterSticks were similar (?)

Too long since I've been to Colorado. Hopefully 09!

I got 2 demo days on the D1 6' in some gorgeous Utah powder a few weeks ago. I couldn't give it back. I've never ridden a big swallowtail, but now that I've got the Dupraz I'm not sure I even care. The board is a blast on powder days, manageable in the trees, and can carve pretty well (if only I had the technique to take advantage of it) on packed powder. I haven't ridden it on anything icy and I doubt I ever will; I've got better tools for that job.