Note to New Members ×

Need some advice about USASA for next year

photodad2001

I've decided to enter the USASA as a daughter/father duo next year. My daughter will be 8 by next season and I'll still be in the "Masters" (30-39).... just barely. I have some questions and need some advice.

My daughter has some skills on the snow so long as the need for "tricks" aren't needed. I'm thinking of putting her in the BX, GS, and SL events. I've been to the USASA site and studied it to it's fullest. In our region, SnowOhio we had a minimal number of female 8-9 year olds and if we made it to all the comps she would score high regionally. I already know you can only use your top 3 scores, but I'm assuming she's going to place very high in each of the events. I also know that the Nationals are by invite only. Is this based on points only? Or do they also look at region?

I'd like to get her into as many events as possible, but because of our location and region I'm going to have to drive far to get her into the SL and GS events. I know they need at least 2 scores to be considered and they only take the top 3, but that won't be the problem. If next years schedule is like this years we have to enter all of them to be considered. I just hope she doesn't get a DQ.

Any fathers out there that can help me out would be great. I'm not really worried about myself. I've looked at the regional stats in my age bracket and I should be there, and if I'm not no worries. I just want to progress my daughters career.

One last thing. GEAR. I've got mine and she has a 111 that will no likely be way too small for next year. Question is, and I have my own theories, should I get her one "all-arounder" or 2 different boards for specific disciplines? We can't make the HalfPipe comps because there are only 2 and 7 hour drives for both, but... we could add slope style if we hit 2 different resorts. Personally I think BX and GS are her stong points. She likes going fast and can turn on comand, but I think SL is to tech because of the tightness of the course and slopestyle is nothing she's really done before. My own thoughts is she should have one board she's familiar with for all events, but then I hate to think of her competing against a possible alpine carver in GS with a Factory Prime 135. PS, I already got her a 129 K2 Kandi... see picture below.

post-6711-141842255043_thumb.gif

Your daughter just has to win her regional competition to be invited to Nationals. National Ranking points are only used for the next round of invites. There is a prearranged number of girls for her division that are allowed to compete at Natls, and if any of the regional winners decline the invite, the others are asked. It's kind of complicated and never consistent, but that's USASA. If she made 2 competitions per event, it's a good chance she'll go to Nationals, which will be at Copper Mtn. again next year.

I agree that shoving too many disciplines at her at the beginning might be a turn off. At 8, competing should still be just for fun (although winning is fun too).

Some of the USASA stuff is confusing. Sometimes I think they do that intentionally so they can fudge things a little if they need to / want to. It used to be that the local region could add a few people to their Nationals Roster. These days that's much harder to do.

That said, if she wins her local division for her age group in a discipline, she'll be invited to Nationals for that discipline (but not for others). Same for you. I don't know what your division is like. In ours for 8-9 girls, there's basically no competition. For 10-11 girls (my daughter's current class), there is some competition. Its also worth talking with parents of other kids in her age class. If they have no intention of going to Nationals, make sure the director knows this. I'm pretty sure he/she can decide to choose one competitor over another for invites to Nationals based on whether the top person intends to compete. I know I told my director to eliminate/disqualify any of my results from this year if it was going to compromise someone's ability to go to Nationals (I have no intention of going, nor taking my daughter this year or next). Either way, make sure your local director knows that the two of you want to go to Nationals. If they can, they'll find a way to make it happen.

I think you can also use results from an out-of-division competition toward your local results if you need extra points. Something to consider if you plan a vacation to someplace like Tahoe next year.

At Nationals: You only get to compete in the disciplines you've qualified for. However, you still have to pay the full registration fee, which includes lift tickets for every day of the competition. This isn't a big deal if you plan to make a vacation out of it, but its kind of a pain for folks who are local to the events (e.g. me & daughter when it was in Tahoe) and don't want to take their kids out of school for a week. Its likely that your comps will be on different days from hers, even if she's competing in the same events.

Equipment: One board should suffice at that age. I bought plates, hardboots and a carving board for my daughter at that age. It wasn't entirely a waste of money, but she almost never rides them. She has her Burton Ginger with Flow bindings (9/15 angles) and Burton Speed Grom boots. It works fine for racing, and its her everyday setup as well. I had her ride the hard boots and race board this season for a race. She rode it for a couple runs then switched back to the soft setup before the race because she wasn't as comfortable. But definitely give her some slightly forward facing angles. Oh, my daughter is reconsidering riding the race board now that she's been beaten by someone in her age group (who was also on softies).

Some of the USASA stuff is confusing.

But definitely give her some slightly forward facing angles. Oh, my daughter is reconsidering riding the race board now that she's been beaten by someone in her age group (who was also on softies).

Thanks, that was very informative. From the regional results pages there were no competitors at all in my daughters age group this past season. That may change next year, but what if she's the only one? Will she go to Nationals by default? There were 3 that I saw in my age group, I should be able to get at least one event.:D

The great thing about my daughters Rossi SIS is that you can adjust the angles by a push of a button.

My advice is to go out have fun with your daughter and try not to get caught up in the whole USASA Nationals drama. If you both qualify great if not, you won't be bummed if fun was your primary goal anyway.

If your daughter is good then she will get an invite as long as she did enough events. If she is not then you will need to scheme, as many parents do, to get her a spot.

My advice is to go out have fun with your daughter and try not to get caught up in the whole USASA Nationals drama. If you both qualify great if not, you won't be bummed if fun was your primary goal anyway.

If your daughter is good then she will get an invite as long as she did enough events. If she is not then you will need to scheme, as many parents do, to get her a spot.

We're sure to have fun, it's just the invite to Nationals would be a great justification to take the trip.

Just one thing to add to all Sinecure's good info - USASA has modified the Nats entry fees the last two seasons so you pay according to how many events you are competing in. That said, the entry fee for ALL riders regardless of number of events three years ago was $250...now for my two events this year it is $275. But in my opinion, worth it. The travel / rental car / hotel etc. are what really add up anyway.

Good luck to you - maybe see you in Copper in 2009!

I raced in 2 races in one day at a BX event. Out of 3 people in my class I got 3rd and 2nd. I recieved my letter to go to nationals. Yeah, I'm that good...Actually, not at all, but I'll be ready for next year for a full season to possibly be slightly competitive at bigger mountains.

I saw many kids (9 was the youngest) and even if they lost, they had a great time because they were with their friends. Don't push her too hard, and never put pressure on her to do well. In wrestling, I see kids doing it just because of their parents, all the time, and its sad because they could be the best wrestler in the state, but hate every moment of it, especially in higher level tournys. If she ever says she doesn't want to race today, but free ride instead, let her. Her having fun is more important than having bragging rights.

One of my skier friends used to race extremely competitivly and his parents and race program ruined it for him because of all the pressure. He hasn't been on skis in 4 years.

Enjoy!

One of my skier friends used to race extremely competitivly and his parents and race program ruined it for him because of all the pressure. He hasn't been on skis in 4 years.

Enjoy!

I have to keep telling her at times it's just for fun. She has a friend who is one year older than her and they are always trying to one up each other. One will go by the other in a tuck, then the other tucks and it's off to the races. That's good in many ways because it makes her want to push further, but I have to pull back on the reigns when it starts to move away from fun and more towards "AAAARGHH!!!! I"M GONNA' WIN AT ALL COSTS!!!"

Be sure to ask the admins for USASA stickers.... lol

:smashfrea I was a tad miffed to find out I got nothing for my 80.00 membership fee and had to print out my own card from my printer at home.

I think that has something to do with saving the planet one membership card at a time.

:smashfrea I was a tad miffed to find out I got nothing for my 80.00 membership fee and had to print out my own card from my printer at home.

as a point of reference, USASA is not making money hand over fist, and neither are any of the regional series. The entire organization has but one full time paid employees, the rest are volunteers, as are the series directors.

Sorry D, but if you got "nothing" for your membership fee it's YOUR fault. It's all there for the taking...the fun and friends you would get from USASA competition FAR outweighs the piddly cost of membership.

• 3 weeks later...

the reason that you get no stickers is that my brother is attempting an inch thick layer of them by the end of next season........ his board is now hideous with choppy flex :barf:

Don't get me wrong, USASA is great, but I'm taking a jabb at the ribs of an organization that doesn't see purpose to promote itself with even a mere .20 cent sticker.

Hell, If it takes a "Volunteer" to get something done in an ORG group or one member to simply even ask the question "why are there not even stickers for sale from the online store?" to shake the cobwebbs loose in the marketing department........... then wehalp... I guess I'm said member.

Nothing for nothing, but Boy Scouts Of America is an ORG and for 25.00 a year dues you get a monthly magazine, pins, patches, discounts on gear from 20 different outfitters and trips / lodging discounts and what more.....

A FREE BUMPERSTICKER !

:lol:

Granted, this year despite the best laid plans, all the competitions I tried to get to all either canceled, re-scheduled, ice/rained out, Mountain closed due to high winds, or just didn't fit into my available time despite trying to get to both the catskill and Southern VT Slamo and GS race days :(

It's all there for the taking...the fun and friends you would get from USASA competition FAR outweighs the piddly cost of membership.

uh huh........... donno where U make your $ at but 80.00 is a good chunk of change to drop on a "membership" to an organization that unless you have the internet, doesn't accknowledge your existance, and even then doesn't tell you when stuff is canced "on the web" untill you are already at the mountain for said event and find out AT THE TICKET WINDOW that the race is canceled, or the "halfpipe comp is moved to a completely different mountain"..... after you already paid in advance for tickets.......

:flamethroahem. HUNTER MOUNTAIN... argh......

But I'm not bitter........... just peeved cause the snow is gone, and so are the race dates for 07/08.

Maybe for next year a "five pack" of USASA logo stickers will appear FOR SALE on the website for say FIVE DOLLARS...... and FOURTY SOME CENTS (for s/h and envlope) creating a 3000% profit margin for "stickers" that cost less than .20 cents each in bulk of a 1000 to make in full color die cut UV/ waterproof mylar............. but I digress.......

ohwell, always next season :D

Dave -

Keep your sundays open this season, come to some massacusetts events, and then come out for a beer after to see what it really takes to put on local series, and hear some of the obstacles that we face as a regional organization.

The Nationals organization has made great strides in the past 2 years, and is moving forward with an excellent Executive board. You mention the Marketing Department: Which of our one full time employees is that? The one who makes sure the National Ranking System is working right? the one ensures series directors are sumbitting results on time? No wait, It must be the guy who responds to hundreds of email each day to placate the soccer moms. Or perhaps the one who works diligentlly, to set up the National championships (AKA the worlds largest snowboard event). Perhaps the guy who is keeping the books? or the dude who is trying (in his sparetime) to find National Sponsors (whose money is essential to the survival of the organization). Oh yeah...That is all the SAME GUY! The one who is way overworked, and way underpaid (I know his salary).

At this point, we still pay mountains to host nationals, pay insurance, pay one salary. Pay officials at nationals. Pay for web services. We don't pay series directors (and I won't get into how much time we put in to make it happen), we don't pay volunteers, and we dont have stickers. So before you badmouth USASA and what you don't get, Look at what you do get: Quality events at a better price and availability than other governing bodies (read: FIS and USSA). Then commit to races, commit to volunteering, or commit to being elsewhere for competition. Good Luck to you in whichever you chose...

-NBC

I agree. Jason (USASA director=only paid employee) works way too hard for all the non appreciation he gets. I was one of those "soccer moms" that was in his face about qualifying for Nationals this year, and he responded politely to each of my e-mails. Multiply the grief I gave him times the total number of problems and personalities he deals with, and you have to wonder why he keeps doing it. I'm amazed, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, USASA is great, but I'm taking a jabb at the ribs of an organization that doesn't see purpose to promote itself with even a mere .20 cent sticker.

Hell, If it takes a "Volunteer" to get something done in an ORG group or one member to simply even ask the question "why are there not even stickers for sale from the online store?" to shake the cobwebbs loose in the marketing department........... then wehalp... I guess I'm said member.

Nothing for nothing, but Boy Scouts Of America is an ORG and for 25.00 a year dues you get a monthly magazine, pins, patches, discounts on gear from 20 different outfitters and trips / lodging discounts and what more.....

A FREE BUMPERSTICKER !

:lol:

Granted, this year despite the best laid plans, all the competitions I tried to get to all either canceled, re-scheduled, ice/rained out, Mountain closed due to high winds, or just didn't fit into my available time despite trying to get to both the catskill and Southern VT Slamo and GS race days :(

It's all there for the taking...the fun and friends you would get from USASA competition FAR outweighs the piddly cost of membership.

uh huh........... donno where U make your $ at but 80.00 is a good chunk of change to drop on a "membership" to an organization that unless you have the internet, doesn't accknowledge your existance, and even then doesn't tell you when stuff is canced "on the web" untill you are already at the mountain for said event and find out AT THE TICKET WINDOW that the race is canceled, or the "halfpipe comp is moved to a completely different mountain"..... after you already paid in advance for tickets.......

:flamethroahem. HUNTER MOUNTAIN... argh......

But I'm not bitter........... just peeved cause the snow is gone, and so are the race dates for 07/08.

Maybe for next year a "five pack" of USASA logo stickers will appear FOR SALE on the website for say FIVE DOLLARS...... and FOURTY SOME CENTS (for s/h and envlope) creating a 3000% profit margin for "stickers" that cost less than .20 cents each in bulk of a 1000 to make in full color die cut UV/ waterproof mylar............. but I digress.......

ohwell, always next season :D

I've got all the means to make my own stickers, hell, my daughter already has her own 20x30 posters and t-shirts!!!!:biggthump Being a professional photog and ex band dude, who did all the graphic work on our cds and promotional paraphenalia, I've got that covered.:D

I've got all the means to make my own stickers, hell, my daughter already has her own 20x30 posters and t-shirts!!!!:biggthump Being a professional photog and ex band dude, who did all the graphic work on our cds and promotional paraphenalia, I've got that covered.:D

Contact them adminiy types at USASA and offer to do some then. You can be a "Promotions officer" lol.