Note to New Members ×

Beefalo...anyone tried it?

Bubba

A friend is getting a half of beefalo (buffalo/beef cross), and asked if I wanted the other half. How is the meat? Gamey, can't taste a difference? Don't want to pony up the bucks if it tastes like s&%t. Anyone?......Bueller?

Thanks,

Kenton

A friend is getting a half of beefalo (buffalo/beef cross), and asked if I wanted the other half. How is the meat? Gamey, can't taste a difference? Don't want to pony up the bucks if it tastes like s&%t. Anyone?......Bueller?

Thanks,

Kenton

full on buffalo is half way between moose and beef, moose being lean and beef being fatty. buffalo generally is like premium beef but a little leaner.

the hybrids I have had have been damn good but I am told that it's more about how they are cared for and what they eat.

Some of the best cuts I've had have been "beefalo" from a farm in NY and the others have been rotokawa devon from http://www.hardwickbeef.com/

I think allot of it has to do with what the animals are eating though, feed them corn and you'll get the hard suet type fat......

I have full on buffalo burgers all the time. We can get them at just about any grocery store around here. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. We only eat them because my brother and I are on special low-fat, high-cal diets. The roasts and stuff are a little tough. Don't know about beefalo, except for the old box truck that says beefalo on it sittin by the road a few miles from my house.

tough, it can be

like when you compare goat to lamb or elk or moose to beef you need to account for the meat being a little leaner.

generally that means you need to cook it either faster at a higher temp or do the super slow cooking at like 250 degrees.

it's easier to screw up but when you get it right you're in for a treat.

slow roasting is the way go with quality meat anyway.

If you're good at cooking lamb, have no worries, it will be kinda similar.

I want pig and lamb....plamb?:D ...oh, and I want pics:o

Plamb, that would be damn funny to see. Thanks to all for the response, I am going to give it a shot. Have had deer, elk, and bear so we'll see how this turns out.