Note to New Members ×

A bit of a breakthrough

John E

Despite what my forum ranking says, I'm not a "Carver Extrordaire" - more of a "Carver Wannabe".

Last Sunday I rode mostly be myself. I tried to incorporate some of the tips & have picked up recently.

Some equipment changes: a new (to me) Donek Axis 172 from a Sims Carve 161. A slightly wider stance & slightly steeper angles (about 50/50).

I grew up skiing, have been softbooting for about 10 years & recently tried carving. I think I need to lose some bad habits from softbooting. I can carve pretty good on softboots but it's leaning forward & back - instead of more side to side. I tried leaning side to side more (more like skiing) & found I was able to hold an edge better - both heel & toe side. I got into more of a crouch and heard Mario in my head saying "tip it & trust it". So long as I kept my speed in check & was able to hang onto a turn clear across the slope, I could feel the edge better & direct it uphill & downhill.

Don't know how much of this was equipment, snow conditions or technique changes.

Seems like the learning process proceeds well if I can intersperse days riding with other (better) riders with days of trying to apply what I learned by myself.

Congrats Jon!

It's all about getting days under your belt. It will take a person who rides 10 days per season longer to get the feel then it will a person who rides 30 days per season. Spend as much time riding as you can comfortably devote (read: without pissing off the wife too much), don't get frustrated, and "the feel" will come.

Congrulation!!!

I am still waiting for my moment of epiphany in term of carving. Hopefully it will come soon; cause me bones can't take much more punishment.

It's like when I first come to the states. One day I am just watching PBS and all of the sudden; I realize that I fully understand what Big Bird was saying.

--

David

A friend of mine is going through a simmilar transition. you nailed it with the leaning foward/back vs side to side thing.

To carve (and hold the carve) on an alpine board, you need to "drop the hip" towards the snow instead of bend the waist to angulate the board.

Another issue is following the board throughout the carve, making sure you continue to turn into the carve as the carve continues, otherwise youll focus down the fall line and end up counter-rotating.

A good way to correct some of these issues is to reach for the front boot cuff with the outside arm (both toeside and heelside), which forces you to face the nose throughout the carve.

just my 2 cents, im currently trying to teach someone else all this stuff and the above information has been very helpful so far:biggthump