Where to go in central/eastern europe ?

Guest Marty

Well, that's an easy question.

You go to Soelden www.soelden.com

1) Much higher than average percentage of hardbooters

2) Big area with modern infrastructure

3) Good slopes for carving that are well groomed

4) But most of all - Riml sport

Riml sport is one of the very few sport shops where you can rent decent hardboot gear.

Better still, in the shop in centre of town (they have 3 shops) you can test....

VIRUS boards! You pay a rental fee for that but, boy is that worth the effort.

I went there mid-february and tested a Virus Lightning for 4 days.

I have a nice board myself (Nidecker Proto, the model before they put on the front and back flaps) - but I must say I was astonished.

Biggest danger -> once you tried, how are you not going to buy one? But I guess that's the reason why they let you try these boards :)

They have several other boards from Virus as well. Ask for Hannes.

http://www.riml.com/sportriml_sporthaus.php

http://www.virus-snowboards.de/de/index.php?sub1=4&sub2=1

Guest Hellrider

Hey man,

before i moved to Canada i lived here for 23 years.

There is a place in Austria called Ischgl. Lots of great slopes and a good party at night. Little more expensive.

Another place, Hintertux Gletscher ( glacier ) in Austria..... really nice.

Valdisere ( France ) worldcup racing for skiing !! Maybe spelling is wrong

my favorite

switzerland

Davos, Grindelwald, Saas Fee, Flims Laax Falera,

hope i could help..... if get more ideas i will let you know

Mario

oh and Germany of course, Zugspitze !!

But you need to check about snow........ some of those are not Glacier areas..............some close in the summer !! But ask me anytime i can check it out, cause i know my way around here.

Zermatt, Switzerland!!!

one of my personal favorites :) glacier year around, great views, awesome town with no car access, good bars, easy train access, and lots of mountain to explore, good on-mountain eating, and easy access to ski down into Italy :)

There is a place in Austria called Ischgl. Lots of great slopes and a good party at night. Little more expensive.

+1 for Ischgl. Great mountain, glacier. WILD nightlife. Slope/chairlift network interconnects to a resort in Switzerland, on the other side of the moutain.

In France, I would give advantage to Val Thorans / Trois Valles, over Val D'Isere. It's absolutely huge and all wide open high alpine, way above treeline.

Note 1: As you sleep on 8200ft altitude and ski over 11000ft, you migt start to experience a bit of mild altitude sickness, like sleep disorder, etc. Well, who wants to sleep there anyhow?

Note 2: Swim suites are only optional in public saunas / hot tubs ;)

BUT, wild nightlife???

Yup, you are spoiled by hot Athens nights...

Ischgl is one of the few few places where I literally had to shake the girls of... But maybe that was just my good looks and snow-sports skills ;)

I watched a program on German TV where they inteviewed young people in ski resorts. So when asked why she picked Ischgl, a girl said, point blank into the camera: "To get laid..."

Well, I have been to literally ALL the resorts mentioned above.

I would definatetly vote AGAINST Ischgl.

The infrastructure is great (lifts, snowcannons etc). BUT: the lift capacity is much too large for the room on the slopes. The slopes in themselves are nice, but it is always way to crowded for decent carving. This would be one of the first places where you needed a helmet + back protector.

Also, behavior on the slopes is rude. May have to do with too many people drinking too much alcohol too early in the day, and then still going on the slope.

In France Val Thorens is nice, but very small number of hardbooters. You'll feel lonely there. Anyhow, I liked Tignes better. Even if Espace Killy is a bit smaller than 3V. The black racing slope towards La Daille is a gem.

Funny, that someone who's forum name is "Furi" recommends Zermatt.

This cannot be a coincidence.

Soelden as a skiing area is defininately not the ultimate in Europe. But:

1) Lots of hardbooters

2) You can rent and test Virus boards and other good alpine equipment

Another secret tip is Schladming in Austria. The area is nice for carving, and it is also the home of bluetomato.at

Ski-area-wise I like France the best. But for hardbooting other aspects may come into play.

Well, I have been to literally ALL the resorts mentioned above.

I would definatetly vote AGAINST Ischgl.

The infrastructure is great (lifts, snowcannons etc). BUT: the lift capacity is much too large for the room on the slopes. The slopes in themselves are nice, but it is always way to crowded for decent carving. This would be one of the first places where you needed a helmet + back protector.

Also, behavior on the slopes is rude. May have to do with too many people drinking too much alcohol too early in the day, and then still going on the slope.

In France Val Thorens is nice, but very small number of hardbooters. You'll feel lonely there. Anyhow, I liked Tignes better. Even if Espace Killy is a bit smaller than 3V. The black racing slope towards La Daille is a gem.

Funny, that someone who's forum name is "Furi" recommends Zermatt.

This cannot be a coincidence.

Soelden as a skiing area is defininately not the ultimate in Europe. But:

1) Lots of hardbooters

2) You can rent and test Virus boards and other good alpine equipment

Another secret tip is Schladming in Austria. The area is nice for carving, and it is also the home of bluetomato.at

Ski-area-wise I like France the best. But for hardbooting other aspects may come into play.

+1

For drinking and every thing “else” go for Ischgl but NOT for Carving!!! (or take only short SL board with you)

As Menno said the lift system, the restaurants etc. are brilliant but the result is way overcrowded slopes!

Soelden is better slope wise + a lot of hardbooters but still modest as size comparing to anything like 3V/Tignes etc!

<O:p

But with France</ST1:p comes some disadvantages too, like higher prices and dated lift system in some areas (compared to Austria</ST1:p),

accommodation also is falling way short of anything in Austria</ST1:p

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comVBulletin<st1:country-region></st1:country-region>

<st1:country-region>.</st1:country-region>

Well, that's an easy question.

You go to Soelden www.soelden.com

1) Much higher than average percentage of hardbooters

2) Big area with modern infrastructure

3) Good slopes for carving that are well groomed

4) But most of all - Riml sport

Riml sport is one of the very few sport shops where you can rent decent hardboot gear.

Better still, in the shop in centre of town (they have 3 shops) you can test....

VIRUS boards! You pay a rental fee for that but, boy is that worth the effort.

I went there mid-february and tested a Virus Lightning for 4 days.

I have a nice board myself (Nidecker Proto, the model before they put on the front and back flaps) - but I must say I was astonished.

Biggest danger -> once you tried, how are you not going to buy one? But I guess that's the reason why they let you try these boards :)

They have several other boards from Virus as well. Ask for Hannes.

http://www.riml.com/sportriml_sporthaus.php

http://www.virus-snowboards.de/de/index.php?sub1=4&sub2=1

Most European carvers prefer Soelden. Some go to Hintertux.

Guest Hellrider

Totally forgot Soelden............jesus yes.............. place to go. But a little pricy too.

Ahhh I just asked my girlfriend. She is Swiss and she loves Zermatt too.

Yep but for Europe your are all set now.

About Ischgl again, yes the slopes can be crowded, but it depends on the time of the year. If you consider goin there, i could give you the german vacation dates and you avoid those and you are all set for emty slopes. But might aswell go to Soelden, that is becoming a second Ischgl and the night life is pretty much as good

I hate Soelden as well as Ischgl, way too crowded and too many lifts for too few slopes. For Après-Ski Ischgl or even better St.Anton will be the best spots in Europe however.

For carving I would recommend against Austria! Grooming is not on par with Italy or some Swiss resorts like Zinal or Zermatt. Schladming is too flat for me, really sucks to say so or maybe I have spent too many days there (at least 200 on the slopes). Dachstein as well as the "backside" of it the Krippenstein are great for freeriding though. I really prefer Swiss, Italy and France over Austria, which is too bad as I'm living in the east of Austria. The best carving resort here is the Hochkar, where during the week (if there are no holidays in East Austria or Checz Republic) you have the slopes all for yourself. Sometimes on the weekends hardbooters outnumber softbooters, it would be foolish to say Soelden has more hardbooters per visitor. Hochkar on the other hand will be about the last resort for partying.

There are many good resorts for carving in Switzerland or Italy, especially many small resorts with just 1-3 lifts often totally kick ass when it comes to the steepest best groomed slopes with few people on them.

Guest Hellrider

I can tell why you like switzerland and italy better. Because you life in Austria. I used to life in Germany probobly not sooooo far from you. But i would never recommened Germany for skiing, even tough i´ve been to some nice places. I still like Austria, because if i am in Germany, it is just around the corner, and it is awesome if there are no holidays............. it is like empty.

Just check the holidays and the school vacations. That is all i say.

Where about in Austria are you from Felix ??

I go to the Lechtal every summer for motorcycling....... i love it !!! Just dont like your cops. They are quick on the speeding tickets !!! :angryfire

As you mentioned Italy,one of my favorite resorts is Livigno.

Photos taken on my X-mass vacations at around 11-12 o'clock.

Not a lot apres ski but very good for carving.

The only downside is the Swiss boarder crossing coming from the east.

Swiss guardians can be very strict for booze,tobacco,perfumes as Livigno is a Duty free place.

post-1761-141842254344_thumb.jpg

post-1761-141842254347_thumb.jpg

post-1761-14184225435_thumb.jpg

I can tell why you like switzerland and italy better. Because you life in Austria. I used to life in Germany probobly not sooooo far from you. But i would never recommened Germany for skiing, even tough i´ve been to some nice places. I still like Austria, because if i am in Germany, it is just around the corner, and it is awesome if there are no holidays............. it is like empty.

Just check the holidays and the school vacations. That is all i say.

Where about in Austria are you from Felix ??

I go to the Lechtal every summer for motorcycling....... i love it !!! Just dont like your cops. They are quick on the speeding tickets !!! :angryfire

Well I'm from Vienna, but been in most big resorts of Austria as well as nearly all small ones in the east. And no, from what I have experienced slopes in Austria are far more crowded than slopes in most resorts in Italy (like Livigno) or in Switzerland (the German speaking part is however in general much more crowded than the Italian or French parts) and that also when there are no holidays. In Switzerland or Italy you just have to avoid the big resorts when there are holidays or the one close to big citys, the other ones are really empty on the slopes, like you could only find in Austria in december (taking a year with good snowcover before december as if only a few places are open in december those will be really crowded) before Christmas holidays.