Note to New Members ×

Pics: Monarch Invasion Session

tpalka

The Monarch Invasion Session is working out super well --

probably a dozen+ carvers on the hill today, having an excellent

time. D.T. was ripping it up until he got hurt yesterday, wish him quick recovery so that he can ride tomorrow!

A few video stills from my pocket camera:

Arnie

arnie.jpg

D.T.

dt.jpg

dt2.jpg

Inkaholic

ink.jpg

Janet

janet.jpg

Big Mario, recently a new member of the Virus club

mario1.jpg

mario2.jpg

Newcarver

newcarver.jpg

newcarver2.jpg

RDY_2_Carve:

rdy2.jpg

Shelly:

shelly.jpg

Tony:

tony.jpg

Sean (RDY's friend from Albuquerque, on a soft setup):

sean.jpg

Video will be forthcoming in a few days, and RDY_2_Carve took some nice high-res footage too...

tom.

I cant wait to see the rest of the "Toeside Tango" footage! Never thought I could get a board that high on edge. It was a blast today, and I look foward to riding with you again! well there it is!

mario

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7VCY_jXlx0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7VCY_jXlx0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

A message of "video no longer available" came up when I tried to watch it.

Mario bought a Virus?? sounds like he just got over one after SES. How do you like it Mario?? I guess it is time to update that profile picture!!

What happened to D.T.???

Aaron

I like it alot, so much so that I passed the fcII on to Ink. I don't know what has happend to D's knee other than there is something seriously radically f 'n wrong with it that may have something to do ligaments.:( He hit some soft, went over the bars and thats all she wrote. He should be back down later today and can fill us in on the details.

mario

Pleasure meeting all of you guys (again-for some)!

Let's see before yesterday I have ridden with two other carvers this season, one of which I got to ride with for about three hours, and the other I got two half days (I was in softies both times). It's nice to have others that enjoy the carve instead of riding with a bunch of softbooters!

Funny how a weekend warrior like me didn't think Monarch was that busy on Saturday. It seemed like a normal crowd to me? I think the worst lineup was less than five minutes? That's about what you'd wait at Angel Fire during the Xmas-New Years rush. I guess you guys thought the lineups weren't the problem but the crowds on the runs? If so I can see your point there as it does hamper carving somewhat.

I first rode with TPalka a couple years ago at Monarch since Angel Fire always gives us free passes there. I can't believe how good Tom has become over the past few seasons! It's quite amazing to watch him rip it up! I can see why Jorge wants him to be a PureBoarding poster boy! ;)

I watched the video I took on the 3CCD and it's decent-A few highlights anyways. I should get a least 3-4 minutes of decent footage from it and will try to get it online ASAP. Sean and I tried our best at "follow cams" but they never seem to work out mainly because the camera ends up all over the place.

The highlight of the day had to have been my "yard sale" on Sidewinder. I was feeling it carving down and Arnie was off to the side-probably enjoying the scenery-until I overloaded the nose a bit in that soft snow and ended up on my back. Not a big deal as I normaly wipe a handful of times during a day, but my helmet was unbuckled and the whiplash sent it rolling down the hill. I can only imagine it looked quite spectacular but really there wasn't much to it. :D

That five hour drive back to ABQ really took it's toll on me. I can't believe how such a beautiful and scenic drive on CO-17/285 can be so BORING! It has to be the straightest road in North America!!! I swear I fell asleep for a few minutes and woke up and was still on the road.

So when is the New Mexico expression session? I think you guys would all be quite impressed carving at Ski Santa Fe? I know it's hard for people in Colorado to come to New Mexico, but I think you'd be quite surprised...

Until next time...

Thanks Tom for showing us around the mountain, putting the video together, and making arangements for dinner. I wish you could have been in it because you were riding well. It was great riding with everyone. Now if I could just stop reaching with that left hand....;)

What happened to D.T.???

Thanks for the inquiries and comments Aaron, Stan, and Richard!

He hit some soft, went over the bars and thats all she wrote. He should be back down later today and can fill us in on the details.

It wasn’t quite like the “Mario over the bars” scenario exhibited in the video, more of a highside, body-gets-launched-straight-down-the-hill type thing. It’s amazing how every time I try to prove physics wrong, I get slapped on the a$$. I don’t get it?!?:confused:

Part 1:

I started Friday morning riding the big board (15m SCR) and that was a mistake. The runs at Monarch are a little too narrow... Ink can get away with it, but not me. Ink was riding an 18.5m SCR 185cm SG Race in the video by the way. I switched to my Coiler AM and I was much happier. I pushed the board hard into a toe side, next thing I know I am sliding head first, on my stomach, down the hill, the nose of the board catches, I have this sensation of fire inside my left knee, I grab it and continue to slide another 20-30 feet. I laid there for a minute collecting my senses. By that time Tom has hiked up to check on me. I get to my feet, get the board off. I'm in pain, but it doesn't feel too bad, Tom says I'm probably full of adrenalin. I figure I had better get my a$$ down the mountain before the real pain starts. I rode one edge the rest of the way down, then proceeded to spend the next day and a half in the lodge with my knee wrapped in ice. I have no obvious swelling, and the pain is decreasing with each day. I anticipate it is just a sprain, but will check with the doc just to make sure.

Part 2:

My recovery was going really well until the drive home this morning. We were northbound on Hwy 285, just south of Nathrop when a truck headed southbound, fishtailed on the ice and crossed over the centerline. The car in front of us t-boned him, then both did piroettes as they started rotating clockwise. Shelly swerved left, slammed on the brakes, then the truck started sliding. Next thing I know, the truck is upside down, rolling down a 30 ft embankment. We came to a rest on all four tires.

I look over at Shelly, at the same time noticing the light coming in the back window, while reaching down undoing my seat belt. She is cussing like a sailor. For those of you that know her, you know that is typical; I knew that she was OK. The light coming in the back window tells me the topper is gone, which makes me panic as I question the status of the dogs. I opened my door, spot my landing zone, jump, while in the air, spot dog 1, spot dog 2, spot dog 3, all of which are in a ball together against a fence, land on the upside down topper as planned, wrench my knee. In fear that the dogs will be scarred and scatter, I jump again, landing next to them, again, I wrench my knee. I wrap me arms around all three of them. I lift 170lbs of dogs onto the upside down topper to get us out of the knee deep snow, again, wrenching my knee.

I then began damage control with Shelly. She started getting hysterical. I assigned her the duty of caring for the dogs, which was the most important job at that point in time. As for our condition, one dog had one small cut, that is all! I bet we all will be sore on the morning, but that is nothing considering what we went through. Yes, we are very lucky! I wrenched my knee several more times as I scrambled up and down the embankment.

Lucky for us, our neighbors, Tony (in the video), LouAnn and Kate were traveling behind us. They were able to get Shelly and the dogs home while I stayed behind and delt with the technicalities and belongings. THANKS GUYS!!!

While the knee was a big deal yesterday, is not that big of a deal now!

Looks like another great carving day for you CO and NM residents. You call that soft snow?? There ain't nothing like trying to carve on Slurpee snow like we have here in SoCal right now. I would consider that packed powder that you were on.

Mario, classic wipeout!! I loved it!! Mugging for the camera and down you go!! Glad you weren't hurt!! I'm glad Tom was able to include it so much in the vid!! Regular speed, slow mo and then still shots.

WOW!! Dustin, you posted that while I was writing mine and now I read about your accident, terrible circumstance but I am glad that you , Shelly and the dogs are alright. Take care of that knee!!! How were the other people involved, T-bone at highway speeds can't be good.

Looks like everyone was riding well,

Aaron

Wow Dustin what a crazy weekend for you!

I hope this doesn't keep you from coming down south again!!!

Glad everybody is ok!

I don't understand how people that live IN Colorado can't seem to drive in snow/ice conditions?!?!? It's always them silly trucks and SUV's too, but then again it could happen to anybody under the right circumstances.

I think everybody in CO has dogs+truck+camper shells? When I get that plush job in Vail I guess I'll have to conform? ;)

Dustin -- yikes! Glad you, Shelly, and the dogs are OK. Today's paper reported:

Travelers reported U.S. 50 from Cañon City to Salida was snowpacked and icy. U.S. 285 from Denver to Salida was "a mess," with slushy roads in the metro area and near whiteout conditions south of Fairplay.

A three-car wreck on Colo. 9 about 12 miles south of Fairplay closed the highway for almost three hours around 10 a.m. Seven people were injured, including two who were listed as serious. State troopers said they suspected driving too fast for conditions contributed to the wreck. Late Sunday, U.S. 285 closed over 9,019-foot Poncha Pass because of adverse conditions.

It was great to have you all visit, very much enjoyed riding and hanging out afterwards!

tom.

First off, Tom, Thanks for being such a great host showing us around your mountain and setting up plans for dinner. The restaurants where great and the company was fantastic. I am glad that Lisa and Henry were able to join us. Thanks for the vid also. :)

Great meeting and riding with everyone. Newcarver and R2Carve, let us know when you will be around our area so that we can meet up again.

DT and Shelly, I'm glad that you and the dogs are all doing OK. Sucks though. :(

Mario, thanks for the new deck! It now has a sharp edge on it and is ready for some more fun times.

Concussed, thanks for a fun weekend.

Bola, the Dupraz are a blast to ride. We rode groom and crud on Saturday, a bunch of pow on Sunday. For anyone thinking about these boards, GET ONE or two. Thank you Bola for letting me demo them.

Ink

Hey all - Had a great time riding with you, even if I did sit out many a run with a sore back (40% of sore back translating into: camera shy!).

tpalka, you're the best on-mountain host ever - I don't think anyone in the group could guide us around their home mountain with as much clarity and attention to the skill levels of all group members. Thank you very much for your time and effort: if you were on Trip Advisor, I'd give you five radio buttons.

See you all at Lovey soon!

Just learning this forum thing -- I think I posted the above in the wrong place. Oh well.

Excellent last run on Sunday: up to my knees in pow! Of course, I am pretty short.

BY THE WAY... Hey Inky, aren't you supposed to be working?

Hey Pal:

Hope that dark cloud has passed over. Sorry for all the mishaps and missing out on the riding.

Hey, get well soon and don't forget glucosamine and Klearsen on that knee.

Bola

http://www.allboardssports.com

1-303-415-1600

I'll come see you on Saturday and get you input on some damage that the two Coilers sustained. :(

Luckily the damage is minor in both cases... but sadly, one of the boards is Shelly's new metal with a total of 3 hours of ride time