Note to New Members ×

Catek Olympic compared to TD2???

kiwanoron

I guess this is like comparing Apples and Oranges...But has anyone ridden both bindings? I am in the market for new bindings and boots for next season. I have been on Burton race plates and physics race plates for the past 6 years(as well as burton boots)...It is time to move on. I am just trying to get info to help me final decision...I am not sure what binding is better for me...Thanks in advance!

~RON

TD2s are also adjustable for lateral/medial cant and heel/toe lift. Although it is not <i>infinite</i>, it is very fine. TD2s come with a choice of 0, 3, or 6 degree cant/lift discs. So, if you can't live without the ability to select a binding slope angle of say 4.3 degrees, then the TD2 does limit you in that sense, but that is barely significant, in my biased opinion.

The difference from the TD1s is that the TD2's cant/lift disc is now rotatable. So, you can align the disc with your stance angle to achieve pure heel or toe lift without cant. If you want to cant the binding either way, simply rotate the disc away from your stance angle to blend in some cant.

Then there is the dampening system. Basically the whole binding is "floating" on an elastomer ring, while the inserts are protected by a rigid interface to a center disc. More on that in this article. The Catek also has a dampening ring in the interface, but the entire binding is rigidly mounted to the board. It is not floating like the TD2. I was skeptical that the TD2's dampening system would do anything or be a benefit. Let me tell you, it does and it is.

The biggest advantage the TD2 has over the Catek is that all settings are easily quantifiable and repeatable. You simply read all your settings right off the markings on the binding. No counting how many times you turn screws, no guessing or calculating your exact cant and lift angles, it's all right there in front of you. If you change your setup and don't like it, it's easy to get right back to where you started. It's also very easy to swap the bindings from board to board and repeat the same setup, quickly.

The biggest advantage the Catek has is seamless adjustment. If you are very sensitive to foot alignment, and you demand micro-adjustability, this is your binding.

The biggest "seams" in the adjustability of the TD2 are between the 0, 3, 6 degree disc angles. However the seams between cant and lift adjustments on a particular disc are insignificant.

-Jack

I own both sets and this is my conclusion on the TD2 vs the Cateks.

I find the Catek's to be more rigid (like Jack said), I can feel more of the board and the edge in my carves on the Cateks. The TD2 seems have a better dampening system and absorb vibrations better.

People describe a Coiler as being more damp and solid and a Donek as beeing more lively and snappy. The TD2 feels more damp and solid, where on the Catek's I seem to feel more of the board underneath me.

With that being said, I love both sets and ride my TD2 on my longer board and the Catek's on my shorter boards.

It took me about 2-3 days to figure out what type angles and cants I wanted on my Catek's. Catek's have unlimited adjustability which can be overwhelming for a new rider, or experienced riders can find themselves in "adjustment addictions" always looking for the perfect angle/cant.