Note to New Members ×

Buying an All mountain board

Surf Quebec

Hi,

I'm considering doubling the number of boards I owned, I want a second one !

I'm interested in a board to ride for when the slopes are not well groomed (powder, snow accumulation, bumps,...)

I'm considering an all mountain board.

I'm 5'6 and 162 pounds, my boots are Deeluxe 700 with BTS.

People seems happy with AM boards from coiler and prior.

Any advices on boards, lenght, width, ...

I would use my current fix: TD2 step-in with yellow ring on the new board.

I may have a chance to demo boards next sunday.

thanks

I am your size and ride a 164 4WD. Not the ultimate powder board and not the ultimate carving board, but I find it a very good all-mountain choice that carves really well and also works well in the crud. It also works fine in any powder I'm likely to find, but probably wouldn't be great in deep champagne powder. A 169 would work fine for you too, but I generally prefer shorter boards and I think the 164 was a good choice for me.

It has a 21.4cm waist width, and I wouldn't want anything wider with hard boots.

The Donek Axxess is similar. It's been said that the Axxess is more of a carving board that can go off-piste, where the 4WD is more of an all-mountain board that can also carve.

You also mentioned the Coiler AM. People here rave about them. I haven't ridden one, but I think the 169 would work well for our size.

You can't go wrong with this. It just eats up the crud but has great edge hold on hard pack and ice. Because of the boardercross style tail, it only has an effective edge of about 148 mm which is about what some of the 164 boards would have. However, it feels like a much longer board because of the titanal flex pattern and dampness. Its a great board that can cover almost universal conditions. And it's Canadian made!

Guest GQuentin
You can't go wrong with this. It just eats up the crud but has great edge hold on hard pack and ice. Because of the boardercross style tail, it only has an effective edge of about 148 mm which is about what some of the 164 boards would have. However, it feels like a much longer board because of the titanal flex pattern and dampness. Its a great board that can cover almost universal conditions. And it's Canadian made!

I 2nd this:biggthump

I'm in line with the rest on this. I bought mine this season from Starting Gate and love it. I'm 5'6" and 150 lbs and the board is just right for everything I have tried. Still have not gotten in the trees but did a couple small bump runs and it rode nice. Ice and crud and New England powder it loves them all. I had a fight with it the first day because I tried to run the same angles as I do on my Madd 170 (not a good idea with M24 boots) but once I fixed that I haven't ridden anything else this year.

Paul

Mostly I have been doing the 172 x 21.5 x 12m but have enough background info now to transfer over almost any of the glass AM sizes directly to metal. Building 4 more this week! Its easily the most of a single model I have ever done in a season, BY FAR!

Thanks to all for getting me the feedback as I have slightly tweaked it over the season and now am totally happy with the design. Originally it was based on a World Cup SL board from 2 seasons ago and I still use the same tooling so it does have a true race heritage despite being so much fun to ride.

Pricing is $ 850.00 cdn and you can choose any topsheet from my current stock. They look identical to non metal models except for the side where if you look close you can see the edge of the metal under the top.

BV

I have had very good feedback from 150 to 200 lb riders on that model as the stiffness gets tweaked to suit within that range. I will hopefully get to making a new one which will be a 175 with 151 contact and other dimensions identical. If you were over 200lbs , the edge starts to feel a bit short on the 72. I plan on doing lots of boards this summer and will try to stock up on those if I can get caught up. Not too many orders yet for next season as people still want stuff this season!

BV