Note to New Members ×

WTB: Burton Plates

*Ace*

I have set of these and like them, but there are some things to be aware of:

The way they work is that you push the toe of your boot forward in the toe bail (just like you push your heel back in a conventional binding). The toe bail pivots a little just like a conventional heel bail. Then you step down on the heel plate and the heel bail flips up and latches on the boot.

To release the bindings and set them for the step-in action, you have to flip the little red lever on the side from pointing forward to pointing back (i.e., lift up and rotate 180 degrees). I find I can't get enough grip on that little lever if it's cold enough that I'm wearing thick mittens.

The engagement of the heel bail is very sensitive to exactly how high the sole of the boot sits, so if you get any snow or ice caked on the sole of your boot, the bail may not engage. I use one of those sharp, scraper-type stomp pads to scrape the buildup off of the sole of my boots.

And last, while the heel rat trap mechanism is the clever mechanical part on these, the toe bail is actually where they fail. The toe block (under the gray pad) is plastic, but there's a thin cast metal insert under there too which acts as the pivot point for the toe bail. I've had a couple of the those metal inserts break. If the insert breaks, you can tell because there is some play in the toe bail other than just the pivoting action that you want.

It's a little more effort to release these bindings than with a normal binding, but being able to just step in without bending down when you get off the lift is really cool.

....Wolf

i personally love my pair,

they work on a cam-over principal.

god help the sorry bastard who has his fingers near the bail if it decides to cam-over on your finger, smarts like a stubbed toe. ill bet it could break a finger bone.

They're not THAT bad... I've whacked my thumb a couple times. Right on the knuckle. They work good as long as you don't get snow on your heels and as long as you don't try to get them TOO tight. They're probably a pretty good binding for a stiff board as they're a little flexy.

They were my first bindings and I never really had much problem with them at first, besides remembering to de-set them when going in for lunch. Imagine some innocent bystander (or his kid) putting his skis in the rack and BAM! Then again it might deter would be thieves.:nono:

Anyway, they're good in some cases, but I think I've moved on, so I don't particularly like them much anymore.