Note to New Members ×

SES pics

bschurman

Most (if not all) compact cameras are simply not up to the task: they lack dynamic range, are slow to focus and shoot, frame rate and buffer size are inadequate, typical minimum shutter speed 1/1000 means that one has to shoot with minimum aperture and thus be limited with diffraction while shooting sunny mountain slopes with contemporary pixel-crammed small sensors, LCD framing is unusable in sunny (and cold) weather etc. I'd say that one has to have DSLR for good results.

I guess I didn't take this with my 2003 4mp Canon S45 then...

ej1.jpg

Of course DSLRs are going to be better and more consistent, but greatness is possible with a p&s. It amazes me how many people are clueless about the half-press, and claim their camera has too much shutter lag.

I love my DSLR, but Gecko is right.

I guess I didn't take this with my 2003 4mp Canon S45 then...Of course DSLRs are going to be better and more consistent, but greatness is possible with a p&s. It amazes me how many people are clueless about the half-press, and claim their camera has too much shutter lag.

Nice shot Jack, I taught my wife how to shoot using a Yashicamat TLR she moved on to a Japan Spec Canon Powershot 400. The shots she gets with it rival what I get with equivalent lens'd D70.

Image clarity is combination of camera, lens and the photographer, the first to are a given that except for the extremes (really long and really short) anything above bargain basement, quality is pretty equal. The Photographer is the only real variable...creativity and skill with their equipment are what make a photographer not the latest whiz bang camera no matter how nice it is:eplus2:

I guess I didn't take this with my 2003 4mp Canon S45 then...(snip)

Sure you did, unless you forged EXIF info :) I had S50 and used it some 4 years ago. Managed to get some more-or-less decent pics (though nothing so good as yours) but after buying DSLR number of keepers went up considerably. About a year ago I reviewed my images and put some to my web site; now when I look at them the difference is noticeable between compact and DSLR camera images. I'm not sure that my photographic level went up so much, so I hope upgrading gear helped and it's not just waste of money :freak3: But Gecko is right, of course, I'm just not skilled photograper and I'm lacking creative input.:eplus2:

But to keep this more SES-images oriented:

I didn't notice, that someone mentioned it here so I do it: there are pictures from Feb, 15th also available: follow original link and Sports->Aspen 2-15-08.

Love this image:

http://2wheel.smugmug.com/gallery/4346442_miUrm#255014168

Wide angles were taken with a Tokina 12-24. I believe that Bob is not real happy with it even after playing with the in camera AF fine tuning. He is going to trade it in for the nikkor 14-24 f/2.8

->Ben

I have same lens, but haven't had opportunity to put it into real test (got couple of weeks ago and with overcast weather not much to photograph), maybe this weekend. Photographing large group of people is stressful for any lens, as for having recognizable faces one has to see image almost in 100% zoom. CA seems to be main weakness for this Tokina lens, other issue it ghosting against light sources, otherwise it should be quite solid performer according to reviews.

14-24 is great lens (literally and optically) and should be head and shoulders above all others, but costs an arm and leg (at least here in Europe: almost USD 3000 :mad:)

This came from Bob for you all.

-----------------------------------

Thanks for all the comments! It was excellent being in Aspen and seeing everyone again.

I just got home at 2:00 AM and have a lot of images to edit and post. Give me a couple of days. A link will be posted when they’re ready.

High res images and prints will be available for purchase through SmugMug. They will be inexpensive. Please contact me directly for permission to use any image for publication.

Thanks again,

Bob Jenney - 2wheel at Comcast dot net.

I checked again and new images have been added.

All the images come with a proof sign written on them.

Does any one have any idea how to purchase an actual photo? It looks like if I click on buy photo (smugmug) I only get options for prints.

Alex just select a photo you want to buy and then click on the shopping cart in the top left corner and follow the instructions from there. It's pretty simple.

Alex,

Just spoke to Bob. He’s reedited a lot of the images to be suitable for printing at 8x10. The 1st batch was uploaded last night and he’s expecting that the rest will be uploaded later this evening. Once all the images have been uploaded, you’ll be able to purchase prints and/or the digital image. If you want to print larger than 8x10, then please send Bob an email with the file number and the size you wish to purchase. He’ll reedit that image and upload it in the larger size.

Use this link, the original one will not work

http://bjphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4346442_miUrm#257377584

Be patient. Editing takes some time.