Note to New Members ×

Stance width

Fleaman

So after reading this post I widened my stance from 17 to 19.5 inches and wow. I thought I had it pretty good before, but It was so much easier to lay it out on the heel side with the wider stance...I even got taken out by one of my own trenches:biggthump

I went up to 21.25 inches and I loved it today. I kept the same canting but I felt like I wasnt going to fall down all the time. I ate up the wind blown powder in the trees like it was going out of style. I am tempted to go even wider to like 22 and see what it is like.

Ever notice on Burton Factory Primes, they put the inserts at something like 17"? I wonder how many riders have been messed up Burton's idea of stance width.

Yes, that's what I've been riding for at least 10 years, centered on the Burton inserts. That was 16" on my 156 UP and 17" on my 156 Alp. This year I got a Prior 4WD and a Madd 158 and tried up to 19" widths, but I'm still not comfortable with much more than 18". Perhaps I could go wider with some more cant/lift.

I've been slowly widening my stance over the course of the season, as I used to ride an insanely narrow stance. Yesterday I took my biggest jump (not sure how big as I didn't have a tape measure handy and my board is at the office right now), but I definitely felt more stable at speed with the wider stance and it made it easier to correct the tightness/looseness of my turns mid-maneuver. I think I probably went from 17.5 to 19.5. The wider stance definitely feels good. Didn't have to change heel/toe lift/cant settings, though I may add a tiny bit of heel lift. I'm 5'9"

Good info for a guy who learned and stayed at 17.5 on Burton Speed. Will slowly push it out to 19.5 as that would seem good for me at 5'8". Anyone's thoughts on front to back centering as you push out the stance or simply keep it centered on past comfortable offset I've used.