Note to New Members ×

Burton to ReEnter Alpine Market

Kent

Burton to Re-Enter Alpine Market

by Press Release

04/01/2004

Burlington, VT - Two years after removing alpine-related products from from their catalog, Jake Burton announced today a renewed committment to the segment of the sport which helped foster his company's growth. This decision was made after preliminary earning reports have been released on the 2003-2004 winter season which shows a steady decline in Burton's market share. "It's time we focused on our roots and committment to all forms of snowboard expression", stated Burton.

Burton plans to unviel its new alpine product line at the 2005 FIS Snowboard World Championships in Whistler, BC. The company will also immediately update its website and print catalog for the 2004-2005 season. Analyst are skeptical about Burton's move in the rather unknown, but loyal, alpine snowboard market. Less than 2% of snowboard related product sales are alpine related. "Build it and they will come", claimed Burton in a recent test ride on prototype equipment.

In addition to Burton's core product line, they will be offering custom shop boards where riders can chose the flex, materials, sizes and shapes of their board. This specialized product will come with an upcharge and Burton expects to cash in on the profits. Burton will also offer a stiffer plate binding and an updated boot line.

Consumers can learn more about Burton by calling Burton Rider Service: (800) 881-3138 or visiting www.burton.com. Burton Snowboards, the world's first snowboard factory, is a pure snowboard company solely dedicated to creating and perfecting a full-range of the best snowboarding equipment on the planet.

Led by founder and owner Jake Burton, widely considered the pioneer of snowboarding, Burton's passion is snowboarding - evident by their overriding mission to open snowboarding at every mountain resort. Why aren't you riding? Celebrating 25 years in 2002, Burton has fueled the growth of snowboarding worldwide through continuous work with, and support of, their Global Team riders and development of successful programs such as Learn-To-Ride (LTR), The Chill Foundation, and the US Open Snowboarding Championships. Don't make excuses. Headquartered in Burlington, Vermont with international offices in Innsbruck, Austria and Tokyo, Japan, Burton, the industry leader, is the brand of choice for millions around the world. There is snow somewhere.

I bet $$$ that those marketers out there will come out with a wide board/same concept as the Swoard, and another board/concept like the donek axis/4WD etc...

How easy it is for a company that cares just for 16 yold freestylers to come back once the commercial pressure has been taken by the others.....

Lets hope at least their boards are more interesting than the last factory primes...and that crazy 3D system... gee

Bomber/catek and phiokka should get rid of the 3D compatibity to force burton to use 4x4!!

At least it means the market is growing!!

Nils

:eek: On anyother day, I would take this seriously, but it is APRIL 1st. If this is legit, I wonder how much influence the fact that Klug's website sold out in a few weeks had? If it's not, KENT, you took your time, and really made this look legit. ;)

Do I believe my heart or my mind?

I'm so confused:confused:

Allthough this sounds great, especially for me because I have Burton Bindings and boots, I don't believe it. I don't think a company who put alot of time and research into alpine equipment and then gave it up would start all over again. I think Burton realized the market was going sour on alpine equipment and solely concentrated on freestyle. Nice April fools joke, allthough it would be nice if it were true.

Im a bit confused why theres an anti-burton sentiment here. I mean..if any company helped set the pace for snowboarding...it would have to be burton

their product has always seemed expensive to me, but...

anyway...I cant imagine how a company that was seeing profit losses would invest in a niche market that doesnt exactly provide large profits anyway

Nils,

It sounded like you were joking about the 2D pattern, but I am guessing that you know that they have gone that way. And no, as a 3D owner, I am not extremely pleased. Here is a picture of the new 2D system. Are we to believe that this is truly an innovation?

post-175-141842197495_thumb.jpg

Jack - I kid you not! I got this from Burton's site. Earlier this year, one of my instructors said that they had been at a Burton Demo and had seen this, so I looked for it on their site - there are a lot of people on their forum that have said negative things about this. Now here is a dumb quote found on their forum: "i think the 2x hole system will work great because if it did not, burton would not of made it." In any case, you can go to their forum and find out for yourself, but unfortunately to find anything good, you have to wade through a lot of "transworld kids" posts.

Yes its the day where people put fish on your back?

My daughter put one on me i wore all day , doing groceries, walkin da street: hehe it only fell when i got back home!

man she laughed so hard! ( needless to say my wife too)

Hey am going to pollute the burton forum for a while , see ya!

N.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Matt D

2D is the truth!

I have seen next years Burton Catalog and there is a 2D insert pattern, though not on a Custom. They are only doing it on their UNINC series which is for the extreme jib-punk/park rat. I would guess that Phil's is just a sample. Looks like marketing HYPE to me.