Note to New Members ×

Magne-traction

photodad2001

I was doing more research on my quest for the ultimate softboot/carver setup when I noticed that the skunk apes by lib tech have the magne-traction. I had seen it on the mullet from last year and was apprehensive about an edge like that. What can you tell me about the magne-traction (that the lib tech site doesn't already say) from a user perspective. Does it do all it says it does? Does it feel any different from a smooth edge? I'm guessing you'd feel it more on ice than on soft. How does it effect the arc of the carve, if at all?

The first time I demo'd MTX, I was a bit apprehensive. Despite being young, I am rather old-school in my preferences.

Anyways, I took one of the boards out for a spin with more dramatic MTX. As described above, it did seem to rip into the ice...sort of like a serated blade sawing. It seemed to increase the edge hold on the hardpack, but at the same time I really didn't like how it wasn't as smooth as a finally tuned edge.

Fast-forward to last weekend. I tried the Banana Tech board for the hell of it (this is the reverse camber one). Of course, it was a bit awkward to get the board to initiate, but the MTX on that board was a bit more subtle. I found that this was a far better trade-off. It held an edge well, but was not too rough. I was impressed with that one.

I probably won't ever buy one for myself, because I still attest to infinite points of contact, but I agree that it is definately worth a try.