Note to New Members ×

Which 2 boards for SES?

Corey

I own 3 boards and need to pick two to bring to SES.

-Oxygen Proton 178 - super fun on wide slopes, scary for me if there are lots of people, narrow runs, or ice. When I'm confident in my abilities and the conditions, this board makes me smile ear-to-ear.

-Volkl RT 168 GS - pretty soft/maneuverable for my 215 lbs, fun when there are narrow runs or lots of people

-Volkl RT 178 GS - just got this, only had 1 day on it so far. Feels pretty close to the 168 (no kidding! ;)) but likes very slightly wider turns, probably more appropriate for my 215 lbs than the 168 version.

When If there are wide blue/black runs with fantastic grooming, I spend most of my days on the Proton. If the snow is questionable at all, the runs narrow/not steep, or there are lots of people then the RT 168 got the nod. I did two runs at Lake Louise last year on the Proton and managed to wander into every mogul field on the way down by accident. :( I happily spent the rest of the weekend on the RT 168.

I think I'll bring the Proton and the longer Volkl. What do you think? Will I wish I had the softer/tighter turning 168?

Bring the biggest stick you have for the cord and bring a fat one for the POW. We seem to be in a hell of a snow pattern here, its dumping in Grand Lake as I type this. Had a most excellent day at Winter Park haulin ass through though the trees with and old Summit County posse I used to ride with regularly yeaterday. You definately dont want to miss Highland Bowl it happens to be going off with hugh dumpage.

Think Snow

I'm in the same situation of trying to decide which boards to bring, with 4 to choose from.

Burton Alp 156 - board is old, but still works fine. I've always felt comfortable on this one. Easy carver, forgiving, easy to slide so it works well in the bumps and crud.

Burton UltraPrime 156 - love its light weight, carves well, pretty stable for a short board.

Prior 4WD 164 - holds an edge better than the Alp, very good carver for an all-mountain shape. Its extra size and width should make it better in powder, and width allows shallower binding angles, but its also significantly stiffer so I'm not sure, and its extra weight is noticeable. Stiffer and harder to slide so less forgiving in bumps than the Alp or UP, and doesn't feel as smooth and stable as the UP.

Madd 158 - bought a used one that's on its way. Haven't ridden it yet, so I'm not sure how it will compare to the others.

Right now I'm leaning toward bringing the Madd 158 as the main carving board, and the 4WD as the all-mountain and powder board. Also planning to do some demos.

I am also trying to decide on the bindings. I have always used Burton race plates, and I like the low profile and flex. But I just bought a used set of TD2 step-ins and intec heels that I'm interested in trying. I'm worried that the TD2s will be too stiff for my tastes, and I'm thinking I should just stick with the Burtons for this trip instead of messing with getting new bindings set up, plus the extra space and weight of packing them.

No powstick in my quiver, I'll have to rent/buy something there if it dumps.

A tanker/4807/etc. is out of my budget and useless for me once I get home... :( Could I rent a big freestyle board and mount up my TD2s all the way back and have fun in the pow? I could rent a full soft setup, but I quite like the comfort my hardboot setup offers! (413 boots with blue BTS on step in TD2s with soft e-rings)

Bring your primary carver and a softboot/powder setup.

I rode softies at SES 06 hitting the trees with Billy, Tille, and Russ. I started off on an Axis with HB's and quickly changed to softies. I believe this was at Buttermilk.

Plan on at least one powder day during SES. You'll be sorry if all you have is a skinny alpine board or even an all-mountain board. Neither will provide enough float in the deep powder that should be expected in Colorado. There will not be enough powder-demo boards to go around either so plan ahead.

I'll throw my old soft boots into our baggage and then rent a board there. Are rentals at the resorts pretty reasonable? (cost and quality)

Thanks for the advice! I never even thought about bringing a soft setup. This will be my wife's first time skiing powder, should be fun for her!

Bring your money

Of course money in pocket it is necessity, but now I do not know what I want.Originally I was looking maybe for boardercross with extra soft flex, I am getting older and become lazy.:rolleyes: But Ray just made it more difficult with all his recent posting.:confused:

10 board and I will be there only for first half. :eek: