Note to New Members ×

Head Intelligence™ philosophy

Guest Kirby carver

Originally posted by Kirby carver

On a conventional board you become more aggressive with edging, balance, and pressure the faster you go. On an I.C.T. board with the same length, side cut, flex etc. you can use a more passive technique at the same speed.

Carve radius is a function of board stiffness and sidecut, nothing else. (although actually, it's the stiffness that determines how you use the sidecut, but that's not the point). What matter is that damping is not the equation.

All ICT does is convert some mechanical energy into some electrical energy. What this does is dampen the vibrations. All a damper does is resist velocity, not displacement (a spring resists displacement, not velocity). See how this does not affect carving technique on fresh cord? What it does do is allow you to be lazy in other snow, because the board will, to some degree, soak up more of the bumps than it otherwise would (a duty that is normally assigned to your legs). This still doesn't play into board angulation.

Neuffy,

There are a number of composite fibers which have been demonstrated to stiffen when current is applied, but very few which do the same for voltage. One thing about the piezo effect is that generally it is very high voltage with extremely low current. Of course, with a snowboard you have the potential to use some really big crystals, and on hard choppy snow there is quite a bit of energy to dissipate. The Head website claims that the board becomes stiffer *torsionally* as a result of ICT. This means they could use shorter "magic fibers" since they run across the board rather than along it, and they could even be concentrated in only the ends of the board where they'd make by far the most difference. That would leave you with a lot of crystal to power very little fiber.

My guess is that there IS a chip in the board doing something, and that there IS a battery powering it. Typical watch battery lasts 5 years. With no high drain items to power like a backlight or LCD, the chip could be a bit more powerful than a watch and consume similar power. The chip wouldn't exactly be a power house, but that's ok since it doesn't need to be.

piezo dumbed down a bit

for those of you that still dont understand the piezo-electric effect, here is a very simple example of how the process works. Im sure most of you have seen the lighters that work with the press of a button rather than the standard flint and steel(my preferance). The spark that is generated from the downward force of you finger comes from the small piezo-electric device within the lighter, and no other powersource is present.

does this mean i can fire up a butt on this thing?:)sweet-one less thing in my pocket to perforate me.

ps hey shred-you're spoda be midwestern-quit bein all smart :) ya gotta dumb it down for us civil servants.

fireboy chris

Originally posted by underdog

does this mean i can fire up a butt on this thing?:)sweet-one less thing in my pocket to perforate me.

ps hey shred-you're spoda be midwestern-quit bein all smart :) ya gotta dumb it down for us civil servants.

fireboy chris

that completely depends on how hot you ride

Guest Kirby carver

Thanks for all the input guys. I definitely know more about the workings of my new board since starting this thread.

My conclusion? It will most likely be a conversation starter on the lift next season.

Cheers!

Originally posted by underdog

fireboy chris

better question- could you rig it up so that the inconsiderate prick running over your new board gets a little shock to make sure he doesnt do it again

I used put these spikes I got from McMaster Carr on the tail so when skiers rode up on the back they would mess up there base! kinda fun I thought..

I like the Shock treatment I deer, but the shame of it all is its illegal.. people were hooking up power to there car doors to shock the people if they tried to steal it... Dam judges said it was unjust! WTF

Kinda like a burgler triping in your house and sueing you!

Well least wear I live you can shoot em but ya gotta drag em back in!

Creates electricity from vibration - that part I believe. I further believe that the energy converted to electricity is a tiny fraction of the input energy (very low efficiency), and that said tiny amount electrical energy is converted back to mechanical energy with equally low efficiency. Net result: negligible. Undetectable, even.

Until I see some math that suggests the net effect isn't near zero, I'm thinking this is pure hype.

• 3 weeks later...