Note to New Members ×

BTS springs for smaller (lighter) rider

CarveItUp

Ok, I've searched through to forums and read all the threads about choosing springs but I'm still not sure what to do.

I want to try the BTS kit but I don't know what springs to get. The problem is that I don't weigh much but it seems that the people using yellow springs tend to be people who used to ride in walk mode or ride in powder. So what springs to start with? Here's the deal:

I'm 5'8" and weigh about 135 lbs (and yes, I'm a guy in my 30's)

I wear size 25 SB225s (Nagano edition) with the softer (gold) tongue and thermoflex liners

I lock into forward lean position 2 both front and rear (I don't like walk mode)

I ride almost exclusively groomers since I am from Ontario

I typically stick to blue runs - I don't deal with steeps very well

My main boards are a factory prime 164 and an Alp 157 (race plates on both)

I've been averaging about 10 days per year for the past 8 years (all in hard boots) and I am an ok rider but not that great.

I'm thinking blue is the way to go but I am concerned it would be too stiff given my weight. I know I could buy both but I'd like to hear your experience to try to avoid starting on the wrong setup.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Derek

I think you'll be good with blue. The thing is, each color can give you a different range of flex with the same amount of resistance depending on how tight you make the adjusting nuts. Even with the yellows, you can crank them down until they're nearly as tight as lock down mode or, you can leave them loose and as soft as walk mode.

We are very close to stats 5 9 155(at fighting form)mondo 25 boots. I use to ride with my rear foot in walk, where you've been locked in. Being that you were not in walk i think that you'll be happy with the blues .I myself run blue on the top and red on the bottem with the top nut compressing about a quarter of an inch.

The yellow springs are pretty soft, I'm 195#'s and running the blues with only a little "preload" and getting a lot of flex, way more than before BTS and I like it. I think the yellows would be the way to go, you could always switch to the blues if they were too soft. I was worried about the blues being too stiff so I have some yellows "in stock" but I haven't tried them yet. They felt really soft tho.

I want to try the BTS kit but I don't know what springs to get.
If you want to feel locked out, go with blue. If you want flex, go with yellow and adjust the preload as needed. I ride blue toe and red heel springs with a small amount of preload (3 to 4 threads). I weigh 210lbs and ride aggressively.