Note to New Members ×

lift/cant problems

roscoe

sigh. "yes it does" "no it doesn't" "yes it does" "no it doesn't".

so why is it that increasing stance width without adding in some front foot toe lift and rear foot heel lift.... sucks?

let me guess, I'm a lousy rider.

Jack, as another data point, I've had the same experience. I actually rode with bindings flat for many years, but that was with 16-17" stance widths. I then tried the newer trend for wider stances, and tried stance widths in the 18-19.5" range, and couldn't make them work without at least some rear cant/lift. With the bindings flat my heelside carves were wavy. I could feel it and could see it in my tracks. I guess I was twisting the board somehow, probably due to bad technique. I tried changing my technique by varying body rotation, rear knee position, knee flex, etc. I also maxed out the inward canting of my boot cuffs, but I still had the wavy heelsides until I added some cant/lift.

I'm sure williamblake has had a lot of success with the flat stances and that he has helped racers and carvers make breakthroughs with that sort of setup, but I was not able to make it work on my own. I hope to hook up with him someday and maybe he can help my technique. I've been riding hardboots since the early 90's, but I'm still a frustrated intermediate carver, so I could certainly use some help.

:D

One stance width should be used by one rider, on all of her/his boards.

[/i]

Wow...I finally get sucked into the conversation...

I totally disagree. I (used to) vary stance width quite a bit when I switched between freestyle (~22"), powder (~20"), freecarve (19.75"), and racing (19.5"). I only ride freecarve boards now, but if I got on a freestyle board again there is NO WAY I'd try it with a 19.75" stance.

By my experience, I am much more comfortable with a tighter stance in slalom gates (Forcing me to stand tall) and a slightly wider stance in GS and freecarving (allowing me to get more compact in a turn at higher speed).

Thanks, your diplomacy goes duly noted ;)

What made you decide to try this "trend" toward wider stances?

The majority riders really need to narrow their stance to where it would be at standing rest, independent of board length.

It's a shame to see so many riders with so much potential being stymied by riding with their feet being tilted in various unnatural directions (Affecting balance

very negatively) so as to accommodate (largely unexplained) wider stances.

What made me try the wider stances is that it improves stability and allows you to get lower. Also, with the narrow stances my knees seemed to be crowded and would tend to lock together on heelsides.

What is the typical stance width range that you have found people end up with at standing rest?

You're mistaken, Jack.

The effect is the same whether it's boot or binding toe-lift.

Binding toe-lift decreases ankle ROM, as does boot toe-lift.

This is bringing me back to the discussions we used to have in Ski race Coachi8ng in the mid-80s, when the Derbyflex first entered the racing scene.

Try this on the floor, at your desk:

1.Sit at your desk with your feet flat on the floor.

2.flex your ankle (roll your chair for and aft, slightly)

3.Put something an inch thick under your toe.

4. Flex your ankle.

5.Now, something solid under your foot, that spans from your heel to your toe, flat.

6. flex your ankle

7. add the 1" thick item (I used an old Stanley tape measure) under the 'something solid'

8. flex your ankle.

The loss of ROM is the same in cases 3/4 and 7/8.

Old case, new audience.

I aske you this because I REALLY wan't to understan your way of............whatever:

1. Put your boots parallel into a pair of skis (or a monoski) and flex your ankles. Then you get the maximum ROM you can get from that specific boot, Right?

2. Put the same boots on a board whit flat bindings: Is the ROM the same, or limited?

3. Then ad a bit of toe and heel lift. Does that alter you ROM closer or further away from example 1.???

/Gunnar