Note to New Members ×

Burton Raceplate - baseplate question

Warpdrive!

Ok, new carver question. I'm looking for used bindings, I'm thinking that Burton Raceplates might be ok for me. The question pertains to some of the baseplates appearing to be made of a lexan material as opposed to metal.

How many different types of baseplates are there for the Burton Raceplates?

I am thinking that based on what I have read the metal baseplates would be fine but I'm very wary of the plastic (lexan) baseplates.

If someone could give me some info on the materials that were used and the durability of each I would appreciate it. Also, did Burton make different sizes for the baseplates or are they a universal size?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I've been boarding for 18 years but I've only recently begun to consider hardboots and alpine set-ups. Thanks.

Ok, new carver question. I'm looking for used bindings, I'm thinking that Burton Raceplates might be ok for me. The question pertains to some of the baseplates appearing to be made of a lexan material as opposed to metal.

How many different types of baseplates are there for the Burton Raceplates?

I am thinking that based on what I have read the metal baseplates would be fine but I'm very wary of the plastic (lexan) baseplates.

If someone could give me some info on the materials that were used and the durability of each I would appreciate it. Also, did Burton make different sizes for the baseplates or are they a universal size?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I've been boarding for 18 years but I've only recently begun to consider hardboots and alpine set-ups. Thanks.

I am guessing that you are talking about the Carrier vs Performance binding. The performance binding has a metal baseplate, while the Carrier does not. I have a set of carriers, and while they are fine for pow riding and easygoing AM carving, I would not trust them for high-speed/agressive carving. Too flexible, I would fear pre-release. I have heard that people have had no problems with the Carriers, but I would go with the race-plates anyway.

I am guessing that you are talking about the Carrier vs Performance binding. The performance binding has a metal baseplate, while the Carrier does not. I have a set of carriers, and while they are fine for pow riding and easygoing AM carving, I would not trust them for high-speed/agressive carving. Too flexible, I would fear pre-release. I have heard that people have had no problems with the Carriers, but I would go with the race-plates anyway.

Are the Carriers the same designe as the Race Plates but made of a see-thru material? The bindings that I was looking at are advertised as Raceplates but they appear to be clear.