Note to New Members ×

Crystal Carvers

Trenchman

I was a beautiful day on the hill today, the sun was shining, the crowds were thin and the snow was perfect. :biggthump I saw a guy on a pj5 with blaze orange kolfach boots, another on a old rossi, and I got to ride with a fellow ripper on a coiler. I was taken out by a young skier who skied under my tail:nono:, I thought my binding had released! We were both ok, but now I'm helmet shopping!:smashfrea I will be going back to crystal this weekend for the fresh groom. Hope to see some more of you local rippers there soon for a trench diggin session.:D I usually ride Saturday and Sunday mornings till the crowds take over.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish i could make it down to Crystal to meet up with some of you. Usually it's pretty slim there but one day last season that i was out there i found 7 others on alpine gear and we all ended up on Buck at the same time. Had a lot of fun that day and i wish i could be there for the next time that happens. Have fun out there on the hill.

The sad thing for me is morning usually ends up being about 11:00... I try... I do! It's just with the zoo of dogs and cats we have and all sorts of other things 9:00 ends up being 11:00... Another sad thing is I can't quite handle buck yet. Any of the North Face, any of the ridge, and I guess the middle bunch on the front side I'm fine with.

But yeah, I'll be there tomorrow. I'll TRY to be there in the morning.

Knoch, aren't you in Houghton/Hancock now? Your profile says you're in kzoo for school still...

By the way, how's Ripley for hard boots?

hahahaha, yeah im in hancock now. i guess i should change that. i need to just start living at crystal mountain over the winter because its a lot of fun carving there. ripley is like the anti-alpine board terrain. i feel like im at a slightly larger, steaper, narrower version of mt.brighton when im at ripley. oh well, ill make do with what i have and learn to carve on the narrow stuff.

Get an sl board, that's all I can say. Seems like the run to the right as you get off the lift would be alright.

But if you like the moving slalom, today was the day. I think there were more people around today than there were last weekend. And so much confusion where there are 2 singles lines...

Is there a carver on here who wears plaid and spent alot of time on the north face?

I don't know if anybody else was there, but I was at Crystal late sunday. The conditions were GREAT. Spent a little time on the ridge, but the real fun I had was on cheers. Let me tell you what, I got lower yesterday than I think I have ever been. There's nothin like a full blown palm on the ground, not holding me up, just there... Gosh. And then there was the time that I was casually linking turns and just decided to drop into a hellacious heelside. My ass must have been about 5 inches from the snow and it was just amazing how it popped me back up and right into the next turn... Man... I love it! I LUVIT ILUVIT ILUVIT!

gosh, I wish I had the vacation time. I'm gonna be making some turns on searchmont, ontario in a couple weekends and before that I'm gonna be on STEAMBOAT!!! :D So now I just have to settle for Crystal and maybe if I'm lucky I'll get to take a day off and hit up boyne or nubs nob with my uncle.

I was there Saturday afternoon. The snow was nice but man was it crowded. Never did get on the alpine board tho, I was enjoying the bumps and pipe to much.

That was my first time there in about 10 years or so, nice place. Next time I'll be sure to get there early and lay out some carve before the crowds show up.

Wow what a beautiful day on the hill today! I got out there at 10am and rode until 4. The conditions were awesome! Hero snow on buck and loki. Thor was ungroomed and drifted up to a foot deep. The crowds were very thin but there was more denim on the hill than I'm used to. I will be back Saturday morning to leave my mark on the hill:ices_ange

Oh man, I'm lookin forward to hittin up some woods with this new pow. A friend of mine has some volkle karmas and we spent all day one day just goin through the woods basically right under the upper lift shack on the north face. And the cool thing is we don't have to worry about tree wells. :D

Headin for Steamboat in a week!

I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!:smashfrea

Crystal was pretty nice this morning till noon when the spores overtook the hill. :flamethro I got some new head stratos pro boots from boyne country in TC :1luvu:(special order) yesterday and I'm still getting used to them:freak3:, but I still got a number of compliments on the hill from jealous skiers. I will be back tomorrow morning for some more rippin good times! :ices_ange I was informed yesterday that I will be laid off for the rest of the winter starting in a week so I will be out there alot more come next weekend. :rolleyes: There were 2 other hardbooters out there this morning but they disappeared after a couple runs. Hope to more of you out there soon!:biggthump

Hey, I wasn't there this morning. I heard it was mighty wet. I got there around 3 probably. Very busy. Snow was pretty good though.

Man, I had a close call though. I was headin to the front from the north side comin down the wooded trail and this total freakin noob on a board comes at me from another trail side slippin toeside (ie, he couldn't see me). I yelled out something, probably something like, "Oh ****!" I made myself as skinny as I could and he goes side slipping right over the tail of my board. I felt like jumping off my board and breaking his goggles with my fist. About 20 feet later he was asking me about my board. I'm assuming he was confused about why he didn't fall over my tail.

On another note, Clebner, I molded those liners last night. They're too big. Its wierd, my toes are nailing the end, but they couldn't take up the volume above my mid-foot. So does anybody want to buy some thrice molded intuitions?

I was there again. 1:00 or so till 6 or so. Played with the bindings last night (cranked up the angles a notch or two). Still didn't work out much. Played with them about half an hour into my session, biased them toeside.... Holy man, was I finally railing the heelside. Anyways, snow was good, lines weren't too bad, gear was sharp. I'm all tuned up for STEAMBOAT! By this time next weekend I'll either be drinking or I'll be in bed so I can wake up early tomorrow to do it all over again!!

I was there 9-1 today..Sorry I missed you!:( Today was my second day on my new Head boots and with an adjustment in the lean I was alot happier!:D My feet get cold quick now tho and I might want to give those liners another shot.:freak3:

The front side was filled with gates when I showed up this morning but I did get to leave some nice ruts on buck before they closed it for the race :eplus2:

I was almost taken out on Loki by a skier while on a toe side next to the lift:eek: He actually rode the lift with me after the next run and apologized then complimented my riding:cool:

I saw a guy with a pristine barfoot 1/2 pipe, burton 5 hole plates, MegaFlex boots that looked new, and he was wearing Burton Race Gloves from 92' and a 93' Burton jacket!:biggthump I rode with him for a couple runs, he says he has a large collection of classic gear, keeps it in perfect shape and they all get regular use.

I bet 20$ in a football pool and won 500$:biggthump Now I have a little spending money for ECES!

Pebu, let me know when you'll be at crystal I'm always lookin for someone to ride with!

Tim

You won't be seeing me out there this weekend. But most of you already know this.

Ouch on the wedding. But it's better that way, cause come on... Boarding or a wedding? Not much of a choice there.

My brother is getting married in a little over a month and I gotta be a stupid usher. I'd rather just be there for the free booze.

Anyway, everybody have fun at Crystal Bump-in-the-ground.:lol:

I had a great day at crystal today....showed up at 9:30 and left at 12:30.

Here is a quote from one of the lift opps after I carved a circle around the slow sign at the bottom of loki "dam dude, you can straight up rip on that thing!"....gee thx for the ego boost. I got alot of milage out of that quote at the reception. My new BTS seems to work pretty well, but i will continue to play with it looking for the right setup. I got to ride with another hardbooter for a couple runs till his rear heal bail on his classic emery bindings broke:eek: That as about the end of my day on the hill. I will be back on Sunday morning to dig some more trenches.....please feel free to join me in destroying the hill if you are in the neighborhood.:biggthump

I'm allways looking for someone to ride with.

peace out

Tim

I'd imagine I'll be out there this weekend. I got in at about 2:00 this morning. So tonight or tomorrow night I'll have to unpack and do some overhauling of my boards, swap bindings, etc. I don't know what it was about that dang mountain, but I sure found it hard to carve at steamboat. I'm sure it's just a stupid mental block. Anyhoo, I'm gonna talk to Joe to see if they do stone grinds, do a couple hotscrapes and other general maintenance. I'd imagine I could be up for it.

Welcome back, I will be out early Saturday and will be off the hill by 11:00....I got alot going on that day....It is presidents day weekend so it will be crowded especially with all this snow we are getting. Hope to be out Sunday too, let me know when you will be there and I will try to see you out there. I am having trouble keeping my feet warm in my new boots and have only been lasting 1-2 hours between warm ups even with heated footbeds. Last Sunday the hill was closed due to extreme temperatures and wind.....-4 and gusts 30-40mph...I went out Monday morning to find perfect conditions and no crowds. Wednesday was a little choppy due to overnight snowmaking.

Putting new Intec heels on my td1's tonight and waxing the snowbob for a sledding party tomorrow.

Looks like we will. Considering the 6 inches that is already in our driveway... It's a shame though, cause this is absolutely beautiful pow. I'm talkin champagne... It's a shame because they'll have to blend this stuff into the crud that was out there this morning. Then on top of that I'm not gonna be able to get out there again till the weekend.

It was awesome out there this morning...4-6" on top of the groom made for a fun morning. I went into the ski shop asking about liners and one of the shop techs hooked me up...gave me their catalog to look thru then ordered me a pair of intuition liners at cost + shipping. Its been a good year for deals on new equipment. I have to work again tomorrow but will be back on the hill by Friday or Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...