Note to New Members ×

need advice re: shipping a board

FTA2R

Hey All,

Which company do you all recommend for shipping a board? To ship from the DC area to upstate NY costs ~$50 w/ both USPS and UPS, seems a bit pricey, perhaps I'm just naive.

If you've shipped your board to a winning ebay bidder, i'm especially interested in hearing from you.

btw, the board i'm looking to mail is only 157.

thx,

barry

$50 is ludicrous

rule #1: Avoid "pack and ship" places (Mail Boxes Etc, etc). The overcharge those places impose is maddening!

rule #2: sufficient padding. Bubble will work, but once it pops it offers ZERO protection, so something like foam or the like would be better

a nice tight fitting box should be used so the board doesnt slop around

are you shipping _just_ a board? what length?

I just had a 177 shipped to me from Oregon to CA and it was 18.30 with $300 insurance. That was FedEx Ground, residential

if its a shorter board it might not end up dim-weighted (where they adjust the "weight" according to dimensions, increasing the rate) but anything over I think...60" will be dim weighted.

anyway...both UPS and FedEx mess up every once in a while, and it all depends on who's workin at either end. Ive had bad experiences with both, and good as well.

I ship music gear all over the world on a weekly basis

the hardest part about a snowboard is the BOX! I dont recommend just wrapping it in cardboard "burrito style" as that will void any insurance should something happen.

feel free to email me if you need help

Originally posted by Barry

Hey All,

Which company do you all recommend for shipping a board? To ship from the DC area to upstate NY costs ~$50 w/ both USPS and UPS, seems a bit pricey, perhaps I'm just naive.

If you've shipped your board to a winning ebay bidder, i'm especially interested in hearing from you.

btw, the board i'm looking to mail is only 157.

thx,

barry

Come on... I've just opened up:

www.fedex.com

for rates and entered

To: Lake Placid, NY (Zip 12946)

FedEx Ground!

Residential! (FedEx Home Delivery)

Weight: 8 lbs

Size LxWxH: 63x10x4 (your board should fit that easily).

Insurance for $300

and result was: $18.26

Delivery: 2 business days

How come someone would charge you ~$50. That's much too high.

Go to FedEx local drop-off office and ship it.

DON'T EVEN TRY UPS!!!

That's the worst service on this planet.

And no FedEx does not screw up as frequently as UPS. I do not want to repeat my stories that I posted on the old BomberOnline forum.

One of many fact's is that UPS lost one of my boards shipped directly from manufacturer in the past. That was Nitro GTX board. Nitro however was up to the task and they re-sent another one board right away.

If you plan on getting for example damaged TV or monitor then use UPS. There is a big chance that some macho-idiot at UPS will juggle with it instead of using lift and cart:(

and the same stuff happens with FedEx, man.

its hilarious when people think that their experiences are universal

like I said, I ship stuff all over the world, and have had an equal number of problems with both. period

FedEx doesnt damage stuff? want to see the Kurzweil K2000 I just got back? in pieces?

or how about the Roland piece that disappeared when it was supposedly delivered?

theyre both susceptible to problems. Only thing that redeems FedEx is that their rates are significantly cheaper

Thx all for the advice. I checked out that link on shipping boards and then click on the "horror" links. Tails sticking out of the cardboard and other ugly pics, largely due to people not following their packing directions I'm sure.

Maciek, yes the guy from UPS and USPS told me $50. Now I know that's excessive.

thx for the advice,

Barry

I'll echo the rest - FedEx has worked out good for me.

Shipped TWO boards from Utah to NJ via FedEx ground and that was a little over $50.00 - which is about what I expected. But from DC to upstate NY for one board, $50.00 seems WAY high.

Originally posted by Barry

Maciek, yes the guy from UPS and USPS told me $50. Now I know that's excessive.

They may have been quoting overnight service or something. I've got a Tanker 200 on the way from Ohio to Saskatchewan via USPS normal air mail, it was $38. Gotta be cheaper for a short board within the US.

I've had the best experiences using good old Priority Mail. They've always arrived in excellent condition, and usually in two bussines days. I've sent a number of boards via USPS as well and have never had any complaints.

Unless it's length + girth is over 108 inches you'll pay the 15 pound rate. Here's a lookup table; scroll to section 10.0.

The 15 pound rates vary from $11.05 to $27.80 depending on where you are shipping from and to. DC to upstate New York, probably $16.20 to $19.75.

If the post office gives you a higher rate you've probably packed it usch that it takes up more than 108 inches of length plus girth. Go to a snowboard shop and see if they have an old snowboard carton... that should get you under 108 inches. Or pack it flat, but follow the advice on the www.oldsnowboards.com and fold cardboard over the tip and tail.

The one time I will use FedEx is for shipping from coast to coast, the post office is too expensive.

I've always had good luck with Purolator for duty. I get a lot of stuff shipped from Japan, and the cheapest way is EMS which turns into Purolator here. A month or so after it arrives you get a bill for the duty, the brokerage charges are around $6. So long as you're aware that the bill is coming so you don't get surprised it's OK.

Neil - sorry I should be more specific. Regular mail delivery often "forgets" that the package is from a foreign land. No charges. Purolator, well sometimes I have to write them a letter to remind them of tariff codes and NAFTA, and then wait 6 weeks or so to get the extra charges refunded. Other than that, yes brokerage is usually 5 or 6 bucks. Not bad, but compared to 0?

Originally posted by Chris Houghton

Other than that, yes brokerage is usually 5 or 6 bucks. Not bad, but compared to 0?

Yeah, but you have a tracking number and all that good stuff. Besides, you can't use regular mail from Japan for items over 105 cm long. Still beats the hell out of UPS, who hit you with a $40 brokerage charge when using their ground service. It's like their hidden tax for chosing the cheaper service, they don't charge you brokerage for the overnight service.

Originally posted by D-Sub

and the same stuff happens with FedEx, man.

its hilarious when people think that their experiences are universal

like I said, I ship stuff all over the world, and have had an equal number of problems with both. period

FedEx doesnt damage stuff? want to see the Kurzweil K2000 I just got back? in pieces?

or how about the Roland piece that disappeared when it was supposedly delivered?

theyre both susceptible to problems. Only thing that redeems FedEx is that their rates are significantly cheaper

D-Sub,

I believe then that it depends on location then. There must be worse and better locations to one and the other company as we have quite opposed experiences.

Also, I believe that many (if not most) of sellers and big corporations select UPS rather than FedEx , because UPS (not FedEx) is cheaper at least at Ground Delivery. That's what's happening with most of the firms that I made online and not online private purchases over last 9 years (and it was quite a bit) as well as large corporations here in the USA I worked for (directly or indirectly). That was surprizing and pisses me off as only one used FedEx (I was happy then). I hope that changes in some areas.

Anyway only once when FedEx failed with my shipping they refunded all S&H cost. That never happend with UPS.

I bet you might have quite oppose experience in your area, but don't use UPS if you want to ship anything to TriState area;)

I stopped using UPS when their driver accepted the WORST counterfeit "money order" for a $2500 pair of equalizers.

I got my money after some very rough talk, but

anyway...youre right...different places = different experiences due to different people

they all suck sometimes, for sure. Im pissed at FedEx right now because Ive had quite a few problems recently, but I STILL wont give UPS my money ever again

Originally posted by D-Sub

better check again, man. FedEx is cheaper for ground

:)

I do not need too. I use FedEx whenever I can ;)

Cheaper or more expensive, what does it tbuy for me if merchandise gets damaged by one frequently and never happend when talking about the other?

It looks like in my area UPS lost that "H" from "S&H"... but you still have to pay for both.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All,

I finally shipped the board. took your suggestions and found an obscure FedEx shipping center literally on the grounds of Dulles Airport. Happy to report that it was much cheaper than anyone predicted.

Total to ship from Dulles, Va (28 miles outside of DC) to Champlain, NY was $6.51, which included $200 insurance.

Thx to all who posted.

Barry