Note to New Members ×

Board suggestions

Guest knuckle dragger

Guest knuckle dragger

I'm looking for some tech on which board may suit my riding style. I'm a freecarver that enjoys tight deep turns, which I can achieve on my outdated Ride 159 Kildy. This year I've purchased and tried a 167 prime and an F2 183 speedster. Both feel like I'm trying to turn a tank. Is the sidecut something I should focus on ? I'm 6ft 1" 230lbs. I want a bit longer board that rides like my Kildy is that possible ?

Thanks for the help.

The Factory Prime 167 has a sidecut radius of ~12.3 meters, the Speedster 183 has a sidecut radius probably closer to 15-16 meters. I don't know the specs on the Kildy, but I assume based on its length, that it has a tighter sidecut radius being a slalom board. You should look into boards with a smaller sidecut if you want tighter turns. They are available in longer lengths. For example, the Donek Freecarve 167 has a radius of 10.6 meters.

However, at 230 pounds, you should have the power to easily decamber a longer board (thus tightening up the sidecut) with a more aggressive style. Of course, it depends on where you ride, how fast you're comfortable going, etc. There have been a few threads lately talking about being dynamic in your form and not just riding the sidecut. I too have an FP167 as well as a FCII 167, and I'm 160 pounds. The boards certainly ride differently, and the two GS boards, particularly the F2, you have right now are more aimed for wide sweeping turns and need more speed before they want to behave.

GS board would never be an SL board or tight freecarver, simple as that.

Grab one of the modern SL in longer lenght or a freecarver. Look for below 11m scr.

Some ideas:

Donek FC

Mad

Prior WCR, shorter sizes

Coiler FC

Or, if you're ok wider boards, various AMs are nothing but bigger mellower SL boards...

Guest knuckle dragger

That's great ! appreciate all the help. I frickin' love this site. I just accidentally bought a WCR 175 on e bay, so I'll give that a try. Allee that would be really cool, and I'll definitely be in touch.

Thanks all.