Note to New Members ×

Donek Razor

zoltan

I'm very curious in this board myself!

Please keep us posted!

Also let us know what size boots you have (softies I assume), what bindings you used, and what angles you run.

TIA!!!

Soft boots Northwave size 13, bindings Ride spi.

As for angles, I will try many things, from 48/24 that I had in my Volkl Selecta to 51/48 or something like that...

I am open to suggestions though, I am 1,95 120k with no hard boot experience.

For stance I will begin with something like 58cm.

My plan is to have the Razor setup ready for SES.

I won't pass judgement till I ride it but those angles don't look too hot IMHO.

I was hoping a softboot carving board wouldn't need 50+ deg angles like in the pictures. Perhaps those bindings are bigger than most? Wishful thinking?

I was hoping I'd be able to run 35/30 angles or so on this board w/o overhang (what I currently run in softies). I guess that was wisful thinking as well?

Since I won't be able to make it to SES 08 perhaps I'll get to try this board at SES 09...

EDIT: I know you said "Don't look at the angles" but I don't see how you can get much lower w/o overhang?

I won't pass judgement till I ride it but those angles don't look too hot IMHO.

I was hoping a softboot carving board wouldn't need 50+ deg angles like in the pictures. Perhaps those bindings are bigger than most? Wishful thinking?

I was hoping I'd be able to run 35/30 angles or so on this board w/o overhang (what I currently run in softies). I guess that was wisful thinking as well?

Since I won't be able to make it to SES 08 perhaps I'll get to try this board at SES 09...

EDIT: I know you said "Don't look at the angles" but I don't see how you can get much lower w/o overhang?

Unless you're sporting a foot bigger than an 11 foot, you should be able to got down to pretty minimal angles. It has a 25.5cm waist. If you need something wider, we can always make it. If you're not sure how wide you need, set your bindings and boots up on a board at the angles you'd like. Then use a tape measure to determine how much wider (or narrower) the board should be to comfortably fit the boot.

Well, today I had the chance to finally ride my new Donek/G-Force Razor (1.76).

Let me tell you that I have never riden any HB board and I my previous board was a Volkl Selecta (1.75) which is a soft all mountain board.

I can carve with the old board but not reach those low angles that you guys get with the HB setup.

The conditions today were not the best to test a board. There was powder, not groomed and the worst, low visibility. So I was extremly cautious as I did not want to injure myself before SES.

So, although I was riding a new board with different angles (51/39 instead of 48/24) in not optimal conditions, I have to say that I REALLY enjoyed it!!!

First of all it handled powder just like my old board (that has a 28cm waist), I was surfing on the powder with no problem at all.

It was easy and sweet, I could change direction faster than my old board and I was very very confident on higher speed, even through bumps.

The surpise was when, at the end of the day, I decided to give it a go and see if I can go low. Well, you know extreme carving where guys seem like falling but somehow get up again, right?

I DID THAT !!! Yes I did, for the first time, on a toeside turn. I had some speed,I put the board on the edge, applied more pressure and there you go, I was scraping everything...

The technik was there before, but I could never go that low with my other board, and there I am, first day with the Razor, not optimal conditions, taking it easy and at the end of the day I had guys from the lifts saying "wow didi u see that???"

I will go out again on Saturday, hopefully with better weather and some groomers, to verify all the above.

So, I have to say a big thank you to Alex from G-Force that convinced me to try this board, and to Donek for making such a great product.

I owe you guys a souvlaki... :)

Wow, this thing looks like a good match for my Catek FR2's...just bought 'em, but haven't ridden them yet. I wonder what length would be best: I ride a 182 Tanker and a 164 Reto Lamm. Height: 5' 11", weight: 183 lbs. The 182 looks like a true piste/powder, all-mountain machine. Thoughts, anyone?

• 1 month later...

These are some photos of the RAZOR that Sean managed to take during the 2008 SES.

From the time I spend on the razor I realized that the board can do exactly what an alpine board does if you are willing to "sacrifice" the tight and precise feel of hard boots. In my opinion this board does exactly what it is meant to do. Provide enough edge hold to allow EC turns in soft boots. I also got to ride it in powder and it was great. Great float and quick to manouvre in the trees.

I was riding this board (176) with Catek FR2s limited and Andy Warhol Burton boots. The angles were 47 and 44.

Since however I worked with Sean to create this board my opinion shouldn't count. If anybody else has some feedback please post.

post-2667-14184225227_thumb.jpg

post-2667-141842252271_thumb.jpg

These are some photos of the RAZOR that Sean managed to take during the 2008 SES.

. . .

I was riding this board (176) with Catek FR2s limited and Andy Warhol Burton boots. The angles were 47 and 44.

. . .

Yeah, thanks! - - I've been watching this thread, thinking about a Razor for next season too.

Alex - Can I ask, what's your weight and bootsize?

Well, I am 1.94 cm and weigh about 200 pounds. My foot size is 12 and I am a really nice and gentle guy!!!! Sorry, just bragging.

176 is ideal for my size. You need to keep in mind that the razor is a bit stiffer than an average freeride board in order to provide edge hold. It is the distribution of stiffness however that makes the difference and makes it also great for powder.

Given a hardboot fit problem and lack of time to correct it, I spent most of my time carving at the Session on a 170 Razor. My opinion probably doesn't count for much either, but I had a blast on the 170. I have carved on a 160 incline for a number of years. I would probably opt to ride the 170 Razor over the 160 incline for carving in the future. It did a beautiful job.

• 1 month later...