Note to New Members ×

Instructional Carving Videos? Anyone?

queequeg

So has anyone here ever thought about putting together an instructional carving video?

I was thinking of buying the SES video just based purely upon the fact that I get so much out of watching other people ride and picking out the things they do that work for me, and it dawned upon me how wildly successful it would be to have some top-level carvers put together some clips of their most useful exercises, and techniques in addition to common problems and ways to overcome them. I would buy it in a heartbeat. Just based upon some of the posts I see here I think there are a few things that many people would find useful such as:

- being more dynamic and not just riding the sidecut.

- combatting chatter.

- railing turns in adverse conditions.

- chop

- ice

- proper body positioning.

- Making it down a mogul field in one piece.

- keeping your speed in control.

- driving with the knees

- ankle flexion

- engaging the uphill edge.

- carving the steeps.

- Tight slalom turns vs long GS turns.

- maintaining a quiet, stable core.

- carving fakie.

- racing.

etc, etc, etc ... I'm sure you guys can think of lots of useful things

And you could even have technical equipment stuff such as:

- moulding thermo liners.

- installing your intec heels safely.

- DIY bootfitting techniques.

- BASE/EDGE tuning.

- Binding setup.

Alot of this is stuff that most of us allready know but would be very valuable to beginners, who may or may not have a posse of alpine riders nearby to help them get their feet on the ground - it could probably really help the sport out.

I have no doubt that there are a lot of people who have tried alpine out and walked away due to lack of information/help on getting started, leading to a bad initial experience - and it seems that this sort of thing could really help those people out.

Myself, living in New York City and taking busses to VT to ride, have very little selection of what mountains I can ride on a given weekend so it is hard for me to hook up with riders from this board, as such, I know such a video would benefit me, and that I would buy it/them.

Has anyone ever thought of organizing something like this? I bet it would sell like hotcakes! It would be really cool to see something like this put together, particularly with lots of different people with different backgrounds and conflicting opinions (no shortage of those here!!) that way people can figure out what works best for them.

Just a thought ...

That would be very cool indeed. I put together a video illustrating some intermediate drills -- most of which I got from BOL to begin with.

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/carving_ranges_of_movement.cfm

tom.

Great vid. That's cool that Lowell helped out with that and Lisa too, well done. I really like the way you played with all the ranges of movement possible with different positions. Ie taking arms and shoulders out of the equation.

I try to get people to carve as many different ways as possible, on cat tracks too as they can be fun if you do. The vid reminded me of that.

Not to threadjack but this is MF permit season. Get in touch off line if you might be trying for a river trip this spring.

Didn't see a music reference for the vid. Who are they?

Not to threadjack but this is MF permit season. Get in touch off line if you might be trying for a river trip this spring.

Thanks, Jerry! No MF for us this year -- had a baby 3 months ago, so not planning any river trips this summer, will likely stick to around here and maybe some big lake kayaking in northern WI.

Didn't see a music reference for the vid. Who are they?

Blackalicious -- from the "Blazing Arrow" album. Track name: "Nowhere fast".

Cheers,

tom.