Note to New Members ×

Catek FR2 & softies

twelsch42

Just spent the last four days on softies riding the FR2's. It was a whole new ballgame. I've never felt so connected to my edge without being in hardboots. I was getting way further over into my turns than I ever have in softboots. If I had more edge I felt like I could rail a board just as hard in stiffer softies as I could on a hardboot setup.

With the lift/canting options I was never getting any heel lift. They even felt well riding 20" of powder in Vail's back bowls, definatly not overkill for powder riding. Felt great on the hardpack at Breck. Felt right at home on the windcrust/mixed conditions at Loveland.

I don't know if I should be proud or not - but I also stuffed the nose (accident) of a stiffer 161 Option board I was riding. Pulled a full front flip, and *almost* rode out of it. First time I'd really experienced that. On hard or softies.

I can't wait to demo one of those donek razors with the FR2's.

Bottom line, if you want to carve in softies, these are the bindings. I've been riding burton cartel, so I can't compare these to the nidecker 800/900's.

Anyone else having fun on these cateks?

I'll be trying to make the Loveland carving session on the 19th ... but I'll probably have to work.

twelsch

• 2 weeks later...

everything from 85 / 83 on a surfrodz board to 35/30 on some of my wider boards. ITs a different game and a lot more involved for your back leg especially the calf but it can be done. some of the highback softie bindings make it hard to move enough to pull it off. I ride N-type switch boots and bindings. I also have a set of catek fr2's great binding:biggthump

I have only been on my hardboot setup 2-3 times this yr because we have had so much powder. I maybe spend more time in softies carving than most here but I find it to be very doable. You will find yourself enjoying the green runs and not really needing to hit the steeps for groom anyway.

twelsch42,

I'm happy to hear that you are having such a good time riding your soft boots with the Catek FR2 bindings. I have been thinking about getting a pair of them. They are quite expensive so I have to wait until next year. I usually make one big purchase with snowbaoarding every other year. This one is my off year.

As far as carving with your soft boots. I have been saying this for years now. Any one who rides with fair technique on hard boots can carve on soft boots. Soft boots and bindings have come such a long way that if you get the right set-up, they act as responsive as some hard set-ups. I believe that in some cases it is better to ride in soft gear only to have better ankle flexion. In any case twelsch42, I am happy for you.

Just spent the last four days on softies riding the FR2's. It was a whole new ballgame...

I can't wait to demo one of those donek razors with the FR2's.

Bottom line, if you want to carve in :)softies, these are the bindings. I've been riding burton cartel, so I can't compare these to the nidecker 800/900's.

Anyone else having fun on these cateks?

I'll be trying to make the Loveland carving session on the 19th ... but I'll probably have to work.

twelsch

I am in the oposite situation; I have the Razor and I am waiting to get some fr2... :)

twelsch,

What kind of boots & binding angles are you running with your FR2s? Do you ride a hardboot setup also? I am doing both right now and curious about how people are riding their softboot setups.

Michael

I've been changing things up daily. Sometimes testing different cant/lift options after a few runs. I used to run my softies (salamon synapse) on burton cartel bindings at about 24f/12r. With the FR2's I got up to as far as about 40f/30r but was noticing some weird strain in my rear leg's upper hip/bum area. I backed off after a few runs to about 15r and I could really get more pressure out of my rear foot to my edge.

The FR2's are so adjustable that it's hard say if the strain I was getting was because of the angle, or the lift/cant or a factor of both. I am still dialing things in for sure - even as far as my stance width and fore/aft placement on the board. I'm getting more rear leg burn centered on my side-cut than I was riding set back in a 'powder stance' - Whether riding power or groom. I really like the ability to adjust the rear cant outward on a deep powder day when I know I'm going to be weighting my back foot quite a bit. And it's interesting to feel how adjustments to my cant/lift affect my posture and stance when riding flat (down a cat-track for example.)

I have ridden hardboots - still dialing in my boot fit so I don't mess up my feet anymore. It's going to take some time and some money. I'm having so much fun on my softies I don't want to spend a day not riding to visit the bootfitter - call me crazy. Last I rode on my hardboots at 55f/50r.

twelsch

So before anyone starts ripping on me for the crudity of the bindings, let me say I don't have access to a full machine shop nor do I own a CNC machine. The work was done with a jigsaw and a bench grinder.

Anyway...I built these to address a few shortcomings of the Flow binding.There has been no shortage of discussion on this forum as to whether or not Flows are supportive, fit well, are adjustable, etc. For me, the largest problem with the Flow binding was one of forward lean. The shape of the highback crushed your leg if you rode with any decent amount of lean. I also wasn't happy with the low attachment point of the strap. In order to get any kind of decent heel hold and to prevent your foot from sliding forward, you had to ride with the strap so tight it was uncomfortable. I'd had my eye on the Cateks for some time but only recently acquired them. Commence with the mods!

The heel loop was removed and replaced with with 1/8" stainless steel, shims and longer screws. Steel for support (the aluminum loops were far to flimsy to cut down and use), and shims to allow ease of boot entry. The snaplock came from an old pair of Flows, as did the top strap. The only thing I really don't like is the attachment point of the cables to the baseplate of the Cateks. But it'll do for now. It's solid enough...just ugly. The highbacks are NOS Burton Skybacks. Got em for like 5 bucks on Ebay. I have found that Burton makes a highback that really fits well.

So, how do they ride? Like a dream! Supportive, comfortable, solid! And the lift/cant is great. I can do full laid-out toeside turns that rival the ones I make in hardboots. Well...almost.

I welcome any thoughts or questions.

post-429-141842248122_thumb.jpg

post-429-141842248124_thumb.jpg

Yeah, the weight thing is a minor issue. The Palmer Crown is no lightweight itself so I wasn't really going for light weight. More about support and comfort, really. I don't think my modifications added much to the overall weight of the bindings. They are, however, the first generation Cateks so they aren't as light as the later ones to begin with. Ah well.

As for kinks in the board flex, I don't even notice it. I don't notice the change of flex on an alpine board and I don't notice the effects here either. But then, the Crown is pretty stiff. :D

I have a slightly modified set of Cateks. Drake highbacks and straps. I was wondering if anyone has a preference on boots used with these. My vans Ntypes are to big to strap in and the other softies I have are to soft in the cuffs. something light and low profile but stiff in the cuffs.

I ride mine with the Atomic Waiver Boa. Great boot- stiff and supportive with a thermo liner. Kinda hard to find though. I got mine online someplace. I knew they'd fit because I had found a previous pair locally but if that's not an option, it's a crap shoot with boots. They do fit the Cateks but the heel is snug!

thats an impressive mod Boarder_Ted! Its very interesting, I had flows and hated the forward lean issue as well. I found that I had to crank the straps down so far to feel supported. Since then I've changed them out for the nidecker 900s which I love. Seems like you built the perfect binding for you. Nice work!