Note to New Members ×

ideal shape for "plex plate" (bordy?)

~tb

So,

I was probably once again over thinking things while at work today. I was going to make several set of plex plates for a couple boards I am currently riding. it got me into thinking about what the idea shape of a plex plate would be . . .

Boardy did a GREAT video on how to make plex plates, but I was surprised to see how abruptly they stopped. I am contemplating cutting mine in a way where they go from the outline of the binding, but then taper down so if they do alter the flex pattern of the board, the transition from the added stiffness of the plex plate, to the portion of the board without the plex plate is gradual.

Maybe I will post an outline tomorrow of what it would be shaped like, but it would end up looking kind of like a VERY shortened version of the CF wing on the madd boards.

has anyone else considered this?

was thinking the same thing, but decided to just make a shape similar to the one bordy had in the video. i figured as long as it helps distribute the load more evenly it would be ok.

maybe i'll try a quick and dirty FEA sometime soon to check out some different shapes.

What material are you guys using? How thick? Are you having the problem of the screws comming loose that the Catek site mentions?

i used polycarbonate (Hyzod, now called Makrolon) 3/16" thick. I don't have problems with the screws coming loose since the holes I made have a larger diameter than the screw anyway. Just make sure you get longer screws to accommodate the extra thickness.

Todd,

I dont think shape is as important as you think with the thickness of the plate, I have seen lots of shapes tried it seem they all work as long as they are not over kill in size. You only need to stop the point loading not make a butterfly plate.

I don't think the shape is all that important either. I do like the shape of James'. They don't really add that much stiffness to the board, expecially that close to the binding.

Our Home Depot in Park City sells polycarbonite in an awesome size. It fits a 20 cm wide board with very minimal trimming, $3.50 per binding. These plasic plates really help with keeping the newer technology boards together.