Note to New Members ×

New Winterstick Tom Burt (link)

420calvin

They just announced the new shape: http://www.winterstick.com/tomburt.php?nid=1

Looks pretty sweet. Anyone have experience on the older models? How did they perform for you?

This year's has a bunch of taper and almost 11 meters of sidecut. Big elongated nose. Looks sick, like it will mach in pow and chop. This makes my board decision even harder.

Depends on what era, had an ultra-carbon and loved it. I have a severe terrain and not so much. They were both from different ownerships of the company and made in different places. I haven't followed the company after it sold last. Looks like a nice deck though.

Paul

The UC cut New England ice and floted on chop, it had great tip to tail flex and was still stif enough to hold. It carved like very few soft setups. I use the same binding,boots on the ST (I have Flow Carbon and Flow Dominator boots) and it just didn't hook up as well on ice it has no tip to tail flex so the woods are tuff I end up skidding. It is great in crud but still not as good as the UC. If I had it to do over (since I don't ride soft enough to justify replacing it now) I would have gotten the Nitro Shogun.

I've got a Severe Terrain 183 and it's ok in crud, great in pow, but not so hot if the snow is hard or icy. Too much flex and sidecut, not enough torsional rigidity. I've gone for some long slides when the nose hits a chunk when cranked over.

The new Tom Burt looks good; shape and specs are almost identical to my old Avalanche Epic 171 (Jim Zellers design).

I've got a Severe Terrain 183 and it's ok in crud, great in pow, but not so hot if the snow is hard or icy. Too much flex and sidecut, not enough torsional rigidity. I've gone for some long slides when the nose hits a chunk when cranked over.

The new Tom Burt looks good; shape and specs are almost identical to my old Avalanche Epic 171 (Jim Zellers design).

damn, I had that board. wrecked it on a snowmaking pipe at stowe, poaching the pow, kinked the edge pretty bad. They actually warranty'd it years later and got a Tom Burt 166( I wanted an Ice Rocket, but all gone)

I have a severe terrain 159 and it's fast for a shorty and great in tight trees.

I've been pining for a Tom Burt for years. ANY board he puts his name on will rock. for freeriding, I like to think I've got the TB style....steep, fast, surfy, aggro.

here's my tindy tail grab on the ST 159(running burton race plates) :p

post-123-141842245358_thumb.jpg

What vintage do you guys have? Is it the original owners Winterstick or the ones that say Made in USA on them? I think when they sold from the original shop they said Made in Utah. Then sold to an investment company from Taxachoosits and the boards went down hill. My ST is of that vintage and a 156. My UC was a Utah board.

Paul

Had to go and look; it says "Salt Lake City, Utah" right on the waist. Got it from The House, they had a lot of Winterstick inventory after the company changed hands. The new owners quit making the bigger sizes.

Willywhit, was your Epic the blue or white deck? I have the white and it is still ungodly stiff, makes my Donek 169wide feel like a noodle. I loved going through pow and watching the snow spray through the rope holes.

Dig the retro original graphics. Looks like they have a grasp on useable sidecut radii too. Glad to see they're still at it, they must have moved offices in Freeport, because the old place is closed. I feared the worst. Hope I bump into them at the loaf.

I had the white jim zellers, anybody have an old pic ?

check out this link

http://www.winterstick.com/news.php?nid=2

I don't think Winterstick is skimping on quality. My ST holds up well under all my weight and abusive riding. 159 feels puny trying rail it but rocks for steep bumps.

great pic of Tuck's here, too

http://www.winterstick.com/shack.php?nid=4

I thought they moved within Freeport but maybe it's Tahoe or Telluride now.

Hey Willywhit, pulled it out of the corner and dusted it off, the one on the left is my ST183. I saw an interview with Burt where he referred to Zellers as the most underrated rider ever. (he and Zellers have been partners on many expeditions and first descents around the world)

post-1499-141842245862_thumb.jpg

that's sweet. Check the crazy hole pattern. Mine had been T nutted 4X4 and had a dozen nickels sunk into the base AND they still warranty'd it for a kinked edge and sidewall. I was gonna put a yellow rope thru the holes in the nose and have a handle to pull the nose up in deep pow:rolleyes:

thanks for da pic:)